Dunked Transmitter

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Dunked Transmitter

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sun May 16, 2004 7:50 pm

After a very bad day (at least for me) at Mt. Laurel, I add insult to injury by dropping my Ace transmitter in the pond.[V][V][V][8][8][8] Anybody have some suggestions on how to make it work again?
MichaelJ2K

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun May 16, 2004 9:44 pm

I would suggest taking it apart and letting it dry completley...if you luck changes it may work just fine once it drys out
Doug Wotring

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon May 17, 2004 12:17 pm

Thanks Doug, I removed the backplate and put it on an electric heater overnight. I checked it this morning and it powered up. I'm happy it wasn't salt water[:0]
MichaelJ2K

Postby Jim Hale » Mon May 17, 2004 5:34 pm

You may want to flush the internals with distilled water, after you dry it out, assuming that the transmitter still works. The distilled water will remove some of the contaminates that tend to get onto circuit boards, and make them stop working. The transmitter may work fine after you dry it out, but may stop a few days or weeks later. amhik.
Jim Hale

Postby PaulP » Mon May 17, 2004 9:58 pm

Having been there myself,

I immediately remove the battery. I then pour alcohol (not the drinking kind, save that for later) over the board and into the pots, any place that water may accumulate. The alcohol will not hurt the board and will displace any water. You want to get the water off the board as quickly as possible and the alcohol will not corrode anything.

Then the attack of the hair dryer. Don't be surprised to see a lot of white residue. The alcohol will dissolve any flux left on the board during manufacturing and it shows up as a white powder upon drying.

My transmitter has been in the drink twice. Once my fault, once due to a broken neck strap. It still works fine.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon May 17, 2004 10:48 pm

I would use a specific electronic cleaner, something with an extremely low flashpoint that evaporates almost immediately. It will leave behind a lubricant and will not cross any circuits. I have used LPS Contact Cleaner for 20+ years with good success. Dr. Pepper is about the toughest... heheheh. I worked in an arcade to kill time when I was stuck out of town and we would get PCB's that were soaked in various liquids, usually soft drinks.
Larry Ludwig

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue May 18, 2004 11:14 am

Thanks guys, I'll pick up a can of cleaner. That's the second time I dunked a transmitter. The first time I managed to take a bath along with the transmitter but that is a story for another time.[:D][:0]
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics