2013 National Championship, Oak Hollow Lake, High Point, NC

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2013 National Championship, Oak Hollow Lake, High Point,

Postby Skip Hall » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks goes to the entire staff on a Wonderful Regatta! Steve, Ricky,Reichard, Skip, Tom and all, job well done.

Hope this link works, https://plus.google.com/photos/10896307 ... h5vky93dAw
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby DaveDell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:05 pm

I agree. Congrats to Steve and the entire NC team on a very well-run regatta. Also great job by Reichard and Ricky in running races fairly and promptly -- and keeping the race course clear! Yes, the wind was pretty shifty at times, but Dave, Dave, Joe and the other top finishers were amazingly consistent in those tough conditions -- congrats on a well-sailed event! Thanks also to everyone who helped me figure things out -- looking forward to more 'little boat' racing. David D
DaveDell

Postby Rick West » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:57 pm

This was a well run regatta and with excellent support by the High Point group headed by Steve Helander. Here is the reason why and why it is part of class planning for a national. This is what a class that communicates can do in support for local groups and provide the class with top notch venues for a National Championship.

This was a new venue with hopes to replace the lost Lake Norman mid East Coast venue. It was visited by the class last year with Steve touring the lake and approved for the 2013 NCR. Steve’s concerns were the running of a NCR without having the expertise by the club to run such a regatta. He was assured that if the site was approved the class would bring in a Pro Race Committee. And that is what happened.

This approval was made three months before a Class Secretary change and Joe Walter was in the loop. Joe was appointed to the CS position in November 2012 and assumed responsibility to the 2013 NCR. Coordination began with Steve Helander in the loop all the way.

Reichard Kahle stepped up long before as Race Director position and told to form a Pro Team. He is a national champion and conducts most of the Charleston events for the class.

Rick Gerry was the Race Officer and started all heats with instructions to the fleet and his personal do’s and do not’s on the water. In my opinion his was the best I have seen with this responsibility.

Skip Allen was brought in as Scorer. Skip has done this before and has one of the most completely developed software programs for computer automation of scoring entries, throwouts and tie breaking following I have seen. He had printed sheets of the latest results within 10 minutes following the last heat finish on the table for all to review; Outstanding.

Tom Germer is the Class Judge and briefed proper rules behavior on the water each day of the regatta. Because of this and the Race Committee monitoring of the racing, there were no protest hearings held for the entire regatta. Likewise, all Redress hearings were held immediately by the RC after a heat where filings were made and issued. The was not delay in racing due to rules.

Joe Walter, as Class Secretary, was the Registrar for online entries and provided the RC with current National Seeding List information. He was also working close with Reichard and Steve, as things moved to race day.

Steve Helander was the spark that attracted the class to High Point to the class and formed a support team from the local club.

This is what a class Pro Team can do and conduct a regatta anywhere in our country with one local ground contact.

I was very pleased with what I saw throughout the regatta and during its process. Outstanding…I will not talk about Mother Nature; no point other than Steve and Reichard were disappointed like us; no one’s fault.

2014 will be at Chicago with David Brawner at the helm for EC12. Solings, Santa Barbara and Jay Class will be included in the Race Week in mid September. David has his own AMYA Pro Team on the 10-day event; a sign of the future.

Have a good winter. I am reporting from Amarillo TX on the way home. I also have a Star 45 in the truck as part of our underground trucking service. She is going to San Francisco.

Sorry for the long posting but thought it time to mention the Pro Team concept. Cheers.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby dplin2001 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Another top notch event, thanks to ALL that helped !!!! Can't wait for next year. I had a great time on and off the water!!!
Dave
dplin2001

Postby yachtie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 am

Hi All

My 2 1/2 cents worth - having traveled so far to be there mother nature threw the spoke in the wheel till day 3. What made it less of an evil was the fantastic friendships renewed and made and my congrats go out hugely to Steve Helander whose enthusiasm and good nature made the whole experience enjoyable pond side.

Joe W. thanks for help with the boat - it certainly was quick with 2 wins here this year - just some "operator errors" that didn't help the cause :shock:

Bob D - I can tell u the water was not warm but hey I did as instructed ha ha.

Starting long trek home to NZL from New York this morning and hopefully will catch up face to face again next year in Chicago with you guys.

Thanks to all for the assistance recieved in making my trip possible.

:roll: :roll:
yachtie

Postby steve h » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks again for all of the kind words. We were very honored to host the Nats this year, and it really shows the merits of the Pro Team concept. It was a pleasure meeting all of you, and hope to see many back in the spring for our Soak at the Oak.

I still dont understand why Brawner didnt get thrown in the lake....I was in it all weekend, and the water was fine :mrgreen:

Someone needs to take the photos and compile a "Men of the EC12 Nationals" fashion calendar. There were many outstanding fashion statements. I'm sure some would pay money not to have the images published.

Linda Angel called me last night, and said that she felt like royalty at the banquet. She's very happy that the class is in such good hands.

Here are some pics from Saturday that one of our club members took. We will post up more from the events as we receive them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102288322900989103026/20131110?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Steve
#1988 and #1858...aka Frank's boat
steve h

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 am

The full report and more photos will be posted very soon.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:22 am

Finally, the excellent report by Reichard Kahle and wonder photos by Tom Germer have been posted. http://www.ec12.org/2013NCR/Home.html

There are also links to the photos that have already been posted on this forum.

This was a really great event and Steve Helander and all his crew need a big pat on the back for doing a great job. Hats off to Reichard, Ricky, Skip and Tom for the excellent job of running the event. Congratulations to all the skippers for the quality of their sailing and their sportsmanship. I cannot say that all skippers were without error, but for the most part, it was a pretty clean regatta and no protests went to the judge except for a few redress issues.

Sorry for the delay in getting the report posted. I had to deal with my paying customers first and I was busy this week for a change. Yeah me!

Great job everyone.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff