2013 Mystic Race Week

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2013 Mystic Race Week

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am

Chuck Luscomb wrote:Well, Day 1 of the J Nationals is complete. We had 9 boats that started the day with the threat of rain all day. They rain did not happen and it we had perfect southerly breezes that maxed between noon and one at around 13-15kts. It was truly a pleasure to sail with this group. We sailed 15 races and would you believe that 9 boats finished the day? Not a common occurrence in the J Class at all. Were there a few break downs? Sure but most got them repaired pretty quickly and were back on the water by the next race.

Tomorrow is forecast for more breeze than we had today which may take its toll on the fleet. As of this writing, we have some leaders emerging. The top four look like this..

Dave Ramos Shamrock
Dave Brawner Shamrock
Bill Ewing Shamrock
Chuck Luscomb Whirlwind

Thursday Night

At the conclusion of sailing on Thursday, we all made our way to Deep River for a cookout at Luscombs barn. Most if not all made the trip plus Phil Tonks from VT brought some of his best wines and ciders from his winery. THANKS PHIL! Again a first for a J Boat Regatta, we only worked on one boat which took about 15 min. If this keeps up, we are really going to have to re-write the schedule for these things.

Friday

The forecast was for rain and wind in that order and although it was only very light when we arrived, we could see from the radar that it was going to get worse. It was put to a vote and all agreed to call it and we packed up. At the awards ceremony shortly after, we had quite a bit of shwag to hand out. We had custom printed T shirts with a Photo from the 2011 Nationals event on the back for each competitor as well as a tote bag with nautical themed pictures printed as well. Trophies were first through fourth and as an additional prize for first, we had a Henry Lloyd dry bag which could not have been a better prize that day.

So after 15 races in wonderful breeze on Thursday the final results looked like this...

1- Dave Ramos 14pts Shamrock
2- Dave Brawner 20pts Shamrock
3- Chuck Luscomb 27pts Whirlwind
4- Hall/Ewing 30pts Shamrock (won the tie breaker with three 1st)
5- Mortgu/Betz 30pts Shamrock
6- Kevin MacLellan 45pts Shamrock
7- Ken Shaw 56pts Shamrock
8- Tim Stone 60pts Endeavour
9- Dave Branning 75pts Ranger

Congratulations to Dave Ramos for his consistent top finishes and to the rest of the fleet for a job well done.

Here is a link to some photos https://plus.google.com/photos/11314429 ... evonLTu0gE

We would like to thank our RD Ken Keohler who drove down from Maine to join us and help out. Al Dion and Ron Rhault in our crash boat and Elaine who was our score keeper. THANK YOU!

Post our awards, a few of us made our way down to see the progress on the Charles W Morgan. Very impressive amount of work has been done and she is once again floating on her own. She is awaiting more ballast, new spars and all her standing and running rigging. After our tour, we decided to head down to Noank for some beers and chow at the Seahorse Tavern. A little known local pub with some of the best food and cold beer around. Nice.

Will post results from the EC12 regatta this evening.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby The Viking » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks Chuck for J-Report -- too bad weather interfered for a second race day but you must have had some grand racing while it lasted. Congratulations to Dave for his first (?) J NCR -- brilliant!
The Viking

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am

Now on to the finishing positions for the EC12 Regatta.

Forecast for Saturday was for NNW 0-5kts. Well, it did that.

We had 22 boats registered for this regatta and that is a very good turn out and possibly a sign of the economy turning around. As a result, and the course options we seemed to be having, we elected to split the fleet which turned out to be a good choice.

Dave Brawner had to put on his sales hat to create and sell a course that would some what resemble a windward leeward that folks could follow. Racing got underway with a single non-scored seeding race. This allowed folks to shake out the webs, have a look at how their boats stacked up and make any last minuet changes.

Right out of the gate, it was clear that Jamie Betz had his boat dialed in for the conditions posting two bullets as he climbed from B into A in the seeding heats.

As the day wore on, the SW which is typical for this venue, appeared to our SW and then withdrew while the NW seemed to hold its ground but not without causing fits to the RC trying to keep the course fair. DB commented to the skippers, "at some point during the race, the course will be fair". Finally after lunch, the SW crept in and the course was finally settled.

As the leaders began to emerge, the point spread between first and fourth were very close. Ramos, Dion, Betz and Leo were all in the first pelleton and stretching their lead on the pack.

At the end of 7 races on Day one, before discards, the top four looked like this...

D. Ramos 25pts
A. Dion 26pts
J. Betz 29pts
J. Leo 36pts

Sunday was supposed to be more of the same starting in the NNW. We lucked out as the SW filled in sooner and the breeze was outstanding for the balance of the day. The fleet shrunk to 17 boats and was merged into one. As a result, we were able to get 10 more races in before the hard stop at 2pm. Nice job guys.

Now I am not sure exactly what happened but the information I do have is that Dave Ramos, who was in a position to win this regatta, conceded to Jake Leo's request for him to duck him as he was having sheeting issues. Dave did and I think collided with another boat which sent him deep in the fleet and out of the top position. Ouch.

After 17 races, here were the final scores...

1-Jamie Betz 43pts
2-Al Dion 44pts
3-Dave Ramos 47pts
4-Jake Leo 55pts
5-Bob Greer 86pts
6-Ron Rhault 90pts
7-Phil Tonks 97pts
8-Alex Ramos 104pts
9-Bob Shluger 110pts
10-Don Barker 118pts
11-Tim Stone 139pts
12-Victor Oberg 150pts
13-Rodger Baldwin 187pts
14-David Branning 218pts
15-Rick West 220pts (withdrew)
16-Jon Pelly 221pts
17-Chuck Luscomb 246pts (withdrew)
18-Jack Baldwin 254pts (withdrew)
19-Kevin MacLellan 256pts (withdrew)
20-Biff Martin 283pts (withdrew)
Skip Hall DNC
Bill Ewing DNC

Congratulations to Jamie Betz for his first EC12 Victory in some very challenging conditions!!!

Thanks to Dave Brawner, Ken Shaw, John Skerry and Judy Skerry for their hard work keeping the fleet going and coping with the crazy winds.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Dave_Branning » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

LASER BRAT WINS MYSTIC EC12 REGATTA: I think it was Mr. Brawner who coined the phrase "Laser Brats." That "affectionate" term was applied to all of us who started our RC racing in RC Lasers and subsequently gravitated to the great EC12 as an alternate boat in competitive RC racing. We took the leap and got our butts kicked as we learned the boat and relished the competition. Nick Mortgu, Victor Oberg, Don Barker, Roger Baldwin, myself and an occasional foray by Rob Seidelmann, Ryan Lippincott, Harry Henkel and Roger Vaughan all were the brats in the Mid Atlantic area who came to the EC12 Class to compete. But today, while some of us are still getting our butts kicked, one of our best skippers, Jamie Betz, rose to the top at a very competitive event in Mystic, CT and secured the win. Congratulations, Jamie. You have done us "brats" proud. :D

Thanks to Chuck, Dave, Ken, Lisa, Al, Mary and to the Sea Port Museum folks who make this event so terrific. What a great venue and we look forward to next year. Cheers!
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Rick West » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:47 pm

I love sailing off the North Lawn. It is a wonderful venue. Chuck and David were at the top of their game which added to the fun of sailing Mystic. There were great gatherings and Corinthian sailing on the water. Time on the water was pleasant and friendly.

BUT: I have to re think the continuing ordeal of getting there. I left Annapolis after traffic and took the US 301 route through Maryland to the Turnpike. It took 8+30 to arrive in New London. I left at 1120 from the hotel on Sunday morning came to a dead stop 20 miles west of NL and spent 8 hours to the house in Annapolis. In the past I have driven both directions in just less than 6 hours. Last year it went to 7 hours. This is not relaxed driving except for the 1+45 spent on the 301 route.

You folks all know that I am a Road Warrior and love to settle in for a long day on the Interstate. I have to think about this though, as it is becoming part of the deal.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Just charter a plane Rick and come pick me up in Charleston along the way.
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby greerdr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 pm

I'll pay my part.
Oops -do you really mean 7000.00 an hour for our cheap ass Gulfstream 450. I thought that was the new 650!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:20 am

Hehe... that would be fun and some good conversation. Reichard, I have not seen you in a coon's age. I have a standing threat in the household since 1995 that if Merrilee could win the lottery a G-5 would be parked at San Carlos with my sail jib sail insignia on the tail. Of course I would worry some about the kerosene.

Anyway, it may all be moot if the online regatta registration is not fixed.

I am not down about Mystic...it is like the bear hunt. I had a good time and loved the sailing I got in.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Dave_Branning » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 am

Skippers: One of the Laser Brats, Jim Flach, from Riverton, NJ, was anxious to see the J racing and take pictures on Friday of the J Nationals. Well he got rained out with the rest of us but stayed around to take pictures Saturday and Sunday of the EC12 Regatta. This is a great camera and he has a great eye. You will enjoy the action, the close-ups and the people shots just showing how much fun we had with each other. Thanks, Jim. Your turn to skipper an EC12 soon.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jim.flach/2013EC12MysticSeaportRegatta :wink:
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:27 pm

SUPER pix Jim !
Thank you very much.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 am

Here are some more really excellent photos of the J Class Nationals from Nick Mortgu(when Jamie Betz had the controls)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1088770269 ... 0p_T1sPWSw
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff