Holiday Season Regatta ... Punta Gorda, FL

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Holiday Season Regatta ... Punta Gorda, FL

Postby gibloesel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

December 1 & 2, 2012 Suncoast Model Sailing Club is hosting the Holiday Season Regatta ... applications are coming in and it looks like a good competitive group of Skippers :roll: will be racing ... list of skippers will be posted shortly ... questions give me a call Gib Loesel 814 440 2394 or email gibloesel@gmail.com
gibloesel

Re: Holiday Season Regatta ... Punta Gorda, FL

Postby gibloesel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 pm

As of 11.23.12 @ 1830 hrs., the following skippers are registered for the Holiday Season Regatta:
1. Jack Ward
2. Dick Hedderick
3. Al Dion
4. Jon Luscomb
5. John Steacy
6. Brenda Pardee
7. Jim Pardee
8. Jake Leo
9. Bill Brown
10. Alan Perkins
11. Jim Kaighin
12. Martin Gray
13. Bill Cromie
14. George Balachak
15. Fred Pfiel
16. Bud Elder
17. Dick Reinke
18. Bud Cassidy
19. Dan Pearce

Late entry ... call Gib Loesel @ 814 440 2394 ..
gibloesel

Postby greerdr » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:53 pm

I'll be there.
Somehow missed sending app but I hope you guys will let me sail with you!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby fvracer1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 am

Any results so far from Punta Gorda or all you guys out drinking?
"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby greerdr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

1 Alan Perkins=22
2 Jon Luscomb=28
3 Al Dion=42
4Fred Pfiel=44
5 Dick Hedderick=51.8
Art Haws and his crew did a splendid job.
I think everyone had a great time;I sure did.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby gibloesel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Place Jib # Last Name First Name Total Pts
1 14 Perkins Alan 22
2 45 Luscomb Jon 28
3 74 Dion Al 42
4 15 Pfeil Fred 44
5 38 Hedderick Dick 51.8
6 52 Greer Bob 53.8
7 86 Cromie Bill 54.2
8 10 Leo Jake 55
9 1 Ward Jack 61.4
10 20 Kaighin Jim 66
11 62 Gray Martin 67
12 264 Brown Bill 75
13 x24 Pardee Jim 82
14 13 Elder Bud 83
15 57 Steacy John 86
16 136 Reinke Dick 88
17 2200 Balachak George 101
18 12 Pardee Brenda 105
19 613 Pearce Dan 120
20 47 Atkinson Ed 126
21 2052 Kaighin Mike 130

Thanks everyone for coming!!!!
If you would like a picture of your boat Jeff Hawley will email it to you ... his email address is: hawleypatent@yahoo.com
gibloesel

Postby Jon Luscomb » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

Gib, Art and all of the Race committe volunteers did and outstanding job for all of us. As usual the regatta was extremely well run, the weather was PERFECT and the courses were square. Thanks to all of you and Congrats to Alan Perkins...now-a-days we have a "nearest to Alan" designation!

Odds and Even Scoring was interesting in that in some cases match racing with your closest competitor was not possible as is in P&R. What makes that different, was that low scores in any heat were very important. On Sunday morning, Al Dion and I were tied, but were not able to sail against each other in the same race. It worked out that I was odd ( fleet, not personality) and he was even. As odd, I sailed the first race and was able to win it and put pressure on Al....it was interesting and different for the 12's.

Happy holidays and see you in Naple!

Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Good observation, Jon. The class distanced its racing program away from the Matrix format years ago for this very reason and that it could be controlled by a biased race committee. We don't have the latter problem anyway now but not being able to challenge a position on the scoreboard does affect one's tactical thoughts and restrict the options.

The Two Fleet system allows you to race against those that have established a position in the top ranked fleet. This is good and competitive for that fleet. In Promotion Relegation it does not matter where you are ranked for if you are worth your salt, you will rise by challenging positions till you settle to a mean level that is yourself for that event.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby fvracer1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

I personally would rather sail Promotion Relegation. I will ask that future Soling NCR's be conducted using the aforementioned. It is a lot less confusing, does not require constant trips to the scoreboard and chances of missing your following heat are minimized.....
fvracer1

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I have been thinking about this odd/even scoring system. It creates a differnt game than P&R, not necessarily better or worse from my perspective. Since there is no guarantee that one might not sail against his/her nearest competition, it makes scoring the only way to pressure your nearest competion. The strategy changes from match racing to just going as fast as you can go and getting around as many boats as you can. It makes clean sailing and risk/reward decisions vital because you can't control your competition. We all know who our competition is before we put a boat in the water based on passed perfomances. Alan is the guy to beat, so in P&R when do we decide to match race him? Race 1? Race 20?

I think it correlates in many ways with golf: it is all about scoring the lowest. Pressure is on every hole (race)to make par, birdie or eagle depending on the hole's difficulty. Risk and reward are on every shot! In golf, match play is similar to odd/even. Each player is trying to out do the other on every shot so as to put pressure on the other and win the hole. For example, "Do I hit a longer well placed tee shot to gain an advantage by having a shorter approach shot, or a shorter tee shot so as to be able to hit the first approach shot to the green and force my opponent to knock it inside me? And so it goes until through the match untill someone wins enough holes so that a comback is not possible. Really your aim is to get your opponent to choke.

So If I get a bullet, Alan has to match or he loses his lead margin to me and anyone else close. The margin can be counted as the regatta continues. The pressure builds and hopefully someone will choke...to his credit, Alan didn't! I don't know if Alan felt any pressue, but I tried to sail as fast as possible on Sunday to try to catch him. On Sunday he beat me by 1 point as we both extended on the rest of the fleet. I thought it was quite competitive and fun.

Just a thought....
Last edited by Jon Luscomb on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb

Postby fvracer1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Jon and all , from the Soling guys.....(You gotta love us...)Merry Christmas..Anyway, my experiences with odd/even have not always been favorable . I found it confusing for newcomers and also seasoned veterans. It requires more volunteers to man the board and requires someone calling the finish, jotting them down at the same time calling out to those that were staying in and on occassion people were scored twice and then someone running with the sheet to rearrange the board. I obviously favor P/R as first four know they are staying in, last four are moving down.....Anyway I hope you make Naples and PBG. I will be bringing BP down. Hang with me as I am collecting pasta and cannoli's from Greer. Hey don't you owe me some gelato or something?

Black Boat Guy
fvracer1

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Spimoni wasn't it?
Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb

Postby gibloesel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Jon's post was a good one!!! ...
Because I am curious about lots of things especially when facts are thrown around without any data to back them up, I did a study race by race on the top 6 finishers of this regatta … It is on a “excel” spreadsheet and I would be happy to share it with anyone who would like review the data … gibloesel@gmail.com
Following are a few of the facts that maybe of interest:
Fact #1: Not counting the first race which was a blind draw Alan and Jon sailed head to head 8 out of the next 15 races ..
Fact #2: After the first race … 5 of the top six sailed against each other in one in one race …
4 of the top six sailed against each other in 11 of 15 races …
Between these two groups they sailed against each other 80% of the time …
Fact #3: going into the last race Jon and Al were separated by 4 points and they sailed head to head in the last race … Jon was 1st … Al was 9th …
Fact #4: After 16 races in raw score the top 6 were in the exact position they finished the regatta … after 2 throw outs the positions did not change
Fact #5: The Skippers who finished 13th and 21st sailed against the top 6 almost an even number of times …
Fact #6: Of the 32 races sailed there was 11 first places awarded to Skippers NOT in the top six or 34% of the first places available …

Regardless of which scoring system is used it is always interesting to have the proper data
gibloesel

Postby greerdr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Gib,
That is GREAT information.
I think it suggests the format works;but it is a bit confusing if you are not a regular user.
You and your crew did a GREAT job of keeping us in our fleets on starts,thank you.
But the point of needing a larger RD crew is true.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Re: Holiday Season Regatta .PHOTO LINK

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Photos taken by :

J. Jeffrey Hawley Esq. (Jeff)
hawleypatent@yahoo.com
(cell) 585-738-4929

http://ec12puntagorda2012.shutterfly.com/

Both days, and check out the white submarine!!!! DSC_4072.jpg

Contact Jeff for hi res photos.
Tom Phillips