EC12 Field Trip to SD Race Week sailing Santa Barbaras

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: EC12 Field Trip to SD Race Week sailing Santa Barbaras

Postby daramos » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am

Well I have to say after a rocky start and a roller coaster first few races on day one, day two was a pleasent change.
I think the S/B fleet found that we did know the rules and if they wanted to play be a little more strict intutpritation the we were more then happy to ablige them and they quickly learned that te knife can cut both ways. Tuesday was again a fantastic day for sailing and sailing we did...,lots of it in fact. Oh my feet.....ouch!!!
With a number of people dropping out for diferent reasons we went to a single feet and raced 3 then sat for 3 while the Wheelers raced. These were long courses and it quickly became apparent that local knowledge was helpful and the it was emperitive that you sailed to pressure and on the lifted tack. More then once I found my self in light air and helpless as the top boats cruised by in better pressure. On more then one occasion (by myself and DB) the locals we taken by supprise as we let them off the hook and allowed them to round the weather mark Rather then cutting them off. One skipper started yelling at me to come up after I told him to go ahead and come in. Suprise ...suprise!!! Needles to say he was appolegetic after the race a specially after I tilde him that I could just as well go back to knife fighting.

The regatta ended with -

Ken Shaw National Masters division Champion!  
Nick second place Master division.
Dave Brawner 2nd overall.
Dave Ramos 5th.
We had Lots of fun!!! And it was a trip I would do again.
Looking forward to next year in San Fran and we have heard from a few of the EC12 gang that they are interested in joining in on the fun.
Long flight tonight and back into the shop tomorrow.
I'm sure we will be filling you all in with more details in the future and I know there were a ton of photos taken.
Dave Ramos
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby DT1405 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:01 am

Hey Boys,Well done !!!! Having raced in Ca myself in a few regattas. I know what you had to deal with!! You did what you needed to do by standing up . I kinda felt the same way in the 3 ODOM Nat's i sailed in out there. As you found out they don't like it so much. You know what they say... What goes around comes around!! Shame that was going on. Was good you showed the nicer side of model sailing that excists in our class, KILL-EM WITH KINDNESS.Sounds like that was a bit of an eye opener for some.Try to remember what DB always says. "THEY'RE TOY BOATS BOYS... PLAY NICE". Wish I could've been there as I wanted. Next year, sounds like a plan to me. I'll start saving my dimes,nickles n penny's. :D Congrats to you all for the awesome effort and coming home with some nice hardware.Again well done and Safe travels Boys and see you @ Tilgman Island. With all the stick time you're getting,I better get busy knocking the cobb webs off. :lol: Cheers,DT
Daniel E Thomas
DT1405

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 am

Great Report Dave...

Can't wait to see the photos.

Nice work guys... Way to rise above and see what was important. I am sure those guys are going to be scratching their heads for some time and will look back on this event as the regatta that opened their eyes to good sportsmanship and fair play.

One point I would like to make here is that the concept of "Team" seems to be emerging in our Class. Support for each other to do well is what really keeps me coming back again and again. The S/B Class in CA will do well to take the lessons learned to heart to see that it can actually be more fun if that is possible. We saw it at Mystic this year and it made the entire experience unbelievably fun and after two days of hard racing, the fleet was laughing and joking and wanting more. Exactly how it should be.

Congratulations Guys for being the Ambassadors of the EC12 Class and the sport of RC Sailing.

Chuck
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Fred Maurer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm

To Nick Mortgu, Dave Ramos, Ken Shaw, Rick West, and Dave Brawner: Congratulations one and all for your demonstrated sailing excellence. But more over thank you for representing the CLASS of our EC-12 community while competing in a Class that may not have been as welcoming and excepting of newcomers as we might hope. Welcome home!!
Fred Maurer

Postby greerdr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 pm

I suggest we thank Rick West for making us (EC-12 Fleet) the skippers we are.We are ,as he often reminds us"the most and best informed skippers in the AMYA".
That we carry the mantle as the one's who know the rules and sail fairly is ,in my opinion,very important.I want to thank the skippers who represented us at Race Week for doing so well.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby DBrawner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:55 pm

The insanity begins again. San Francisco MYC has just announced the dates for the Santa Barbara NCR. The dates are 9/10 & 11 with a practice day on 9/09. This is a mid-week regatta coordinated around the America's Cup schedule. They are arranging a charter boat to watch the AC races 9/07 & 08.

Our box will be packed and shipped west once again.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Fred Maurer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Hello Dave, Time to start a new thread and call it EC-12 Field Trip Santa Barbaras II. (or Something) There are many of us that read with great anticipation and live it vicariously through the traveling team. The updates are great and much appreciated. And pictures, don’t forget to employ a willing local club member out there that will take good pictorial sequences. (Key Word: Sequences) Videos are nice. :)
Best to all.
Fred Maurer

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 pm

I agree with Fred, that it is time to start a new thread.
And that thread needs to be on a Santa Barbara discussion site and not on the EC12 discussion site.

While I was also entertained by this thread of a group of EC12 skippers building a bunch of SB boats and going on an adventure out West. It is time to return to the main focus of this forum, which is dedicated to the EC12 Class.

Thanks you for your cooperation.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Fred Maurer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Gosh Joe, that seems a little harsh. It is always nice to have someone agree with me, but to be clear I was only suggesting a new thread so I wouldn’t have to start reading about a group of EC-12 Skippers latest exploits beginning on page three of an existing thread. Call me crazy but when you have a group of EC-12 Skippers acting as a group, essentially representing EC-12 Skippers if only by association, their accomplishments seems like EC-12 news to me. If as, a group, the participants of this forum don’t want this groups endeavors posted here, then I suppose I am wrong. I have been wrong before.
Fred Maurer

Postby Columbia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:48 pm

I hate to pound on this too, but Fred I agree with you. I thought that was a little harsh. I can appreciate keeping the site focused on EC12 but this might be a little extreme.
Anyways, Happy New Year to all.
Joe
Columbia

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Guys, I appreciate all your thoughts here, but again, this is the EC12 discussion forum. This thread started off as an entertaining change of pace for EC12 skippers, but now it is turning Into the Santa Barbara class forum. We have given a lot of leeway on this site to discuss other classes, like the Js, but we need to keep it "A discussion of all things EC12."

If you want to continue complaining about my decision, you can take it to the bilge section.

Thanks.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff