EC12 Field Trip to SD Race Week sailing Santa Barbaras

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: EC12 Field Trip to SD Race Week sailing Santa Barbaras

Postby Rick West » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Yes, I remember. We are sailing single fleet and only two half days. I have the camera pack but not likely to get water shots and finish well. Brawner has the most images to date but will the phone camera.

The fleet in a box has been picked up in SAN and unpacked. Texts indicated all is well.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby deafsail » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:12 pm

GOOD LUCK :D

Baron Bremer
EC12-81
Baron Bremer
EC12-81
deafsail

Postby Rick West » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

A web page has been created to report on the Field Trip business as it may unfold. There is nothing there now but a header. Things will proceed as it does and when we have time in a sober effort to report the progress. Enjoy...There will be images of something, Fred.
http://www.ec12.info/san-diego.htm
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Fred Maurer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Great on the pictures!!! Talk someone else, A local maybe, into photo documenting the events. Tell them that the East Coast Contingent won't be allowed back without the pictures. Then the west coast will be stuck with the lot of them to clothe and feed. As to the written report on the web site; Time to update the report is a necessity. Sobriety, ...not so much.

Take care and good luck,
Fred
Fred Maurer

Postby daramos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Well racing has started and we have some nice breeze 4-6
Course is a little bit diferent as are the rules. 720 for a foul in side the mark zone.
A number of CA sailors have the knives out and we all have realized we are no longer in ec12 heaven anymore.
First two races have -
DB - 3,3
DR - 4,4
KS - 6,7
Nick got in a bit of foul trouble and Rick have a TX fall in the drink
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby daramos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Race 3,4
Race 3
On the first beat DB is fouled by a port boat comiing off the beach and thinking that he is free to continue on port hitting Dave even thou Dave is yelling to tack back. DB has a broken shroud and has to repair, protest and get redress. DR and Nick have a great finish with Nick almost getting the come from behind lift. Dave started breathing again after the finish. Ken had a good race keeping out of trouble but Rick is frustrated with the knife fighting especially on te far shore and is done sailing for the delay.
Corrected Posted scores so far are -
DB - 3,4,3.5,3 3rd
DR - 4,6,6,5 6th
KS - 7,5,3,2 4th
NI - 4,11,7,11 11th
David Ramos

daramos

Postby daramos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Race 3,4
Race 3
On the first beat DB is fouled by a port boat comiing off the beach and thinking that he is free to continue on port hitting Dave even thou Dave is yelling to tack back. DB has a broken shroud and has to repair, protest and get redress. DR and Nick have a great finish with Nick almost getting the come from behind lift. Dave started breathing again after the finish. Ken had a good race keeping out of trouble but Rick is frustrated with the knife fighting especially on te far shore and is done sailing for the delay.
Corrected Posted scores so far are -
DB - 3,4,3.5,3 3rd
DR - 4,6,6,5 6th
KS - 7,5,3,2 4th
NI - 4,11,7,11 11th

I have been somewhat remis here
Ken had a great race 4 with a masterful secound run passing leading two boats on the left (course right) that they did not even see him. Trailing boat cought a slight shift to edge out Ken at the line and I dropped on at the line by tacking to cover instead of crossing the line of port. Opps!!
David Ramos

daramos

Postby Fred Maurer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for the news Dave. Looking forward to tomorrows flash.
Fred Maurer

Postby kahle67 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Tell us more about the ”knife fighting.”
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

This is never the kind of sailing I want to be apart of. I would love to know these guys names...

Humm... maybe we should build a fleet of S/B s for next years event in San Francisco and really muck things up...

Anyone game?
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

We do not have to come here with the S/B. We could ask to be invited by the host for a R6 during Race Week with the EC12. There are 12's here and in the state but no organization for it...have tried but get silence. One trailer loaded from R2 and one from R3 could put on a good show with more that 15 boats and WE would sail single fleet and get plenty of racing in.

OR, build large crates like Brawner and the boys did. The one shipped here was a good design and useful at the lake.

Folly is sometimes fun and this was a great trip despite the local attitudes on the water. All the guys agree on this. The disappointments are not forgotten but the experience remembered is positive and recommended. San Diego Race Week is special in our sport on and off the water.

The East Coast S/B guys could load their boats too for the NCR at San Francisco. That would be big racing in August in San Diego and September in San Francisco and the Delta. Get the stuff out here and fly in for a few days of racing and visiting then fly out and back to work.

Note: Photos will be set up after the event and when back at the Delta. There is not time to do this processing here. I will post here when it is done.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby daramos » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Races 
DB - 3, 4, 3.3, 3 4, 2, 7,1,1  2nd Overall
DR - 4,6,6,5,7,10,4,3,6,5 -6th
KS - 7,5,3,2,9,9,11,10,13 - 9th
NI - 4,11,7,11,10,5,19,9,9,8 - 11th

good racing today with nice wind but a little shifty. Key is to stay in the pressure and keep moving. 
Dave Brawner has gotten into the groove and finished the last 3 race series with two bullets. 
DR had the lead in the first race today only to sail into a lull and drop 2 boats on the second beat. 
David Ramos

daramos

Postby daramos » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Ernest Freeland asked and I confirmed that they are sailin +4lbs heavier then us to get longer waterline length which seemed to be working, but I beat Chris the last race and had him till the last two boat lengths 2 races ago both races that DB won. 
In this med air and more time in the boat....look out !!!
Yes they are +5lbs but I beat Chris the last race and had him till the last two boat lengths 2 races ago both races that DB won. In this med air and more time in the boat....look out !!!
Both Dave and I are reeling them in. 
David Ramos

daramos

Postby Fred Maurer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Once again, many thanks for the updates. Given all the new things to learn and not exactly a home court advantage, I would say well done to one and all. I am sure we all are looking forward to the pictures and the stories that are waiting to be told. Safe travels all.
Fred Maurer

Postby bigjohn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 am

Hi guys, I don't want to talk out of turn but if you can wait till 2014 we are talking about having the S/B NCR in Chicago, maybe we could tie it to another class so it would it better for the ones coming from the east coast??
John R.
John R #316
bigjohn

PreviousNext

Return to Regatta Stuff