2012 Mystic Region 1 Championships

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2012 Mystic Region 1 Championships

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 pm

All,
The NOR/Entry for the Mystic Region 1 Championships is now posted. This years event will be once again hosted by the Mystic River Radio Sailors. Looking forward to a good turn out at this event for our local fleet. We have some new members from Marblehead and VT who will be making the trek to Mystic this year. Mystic continues to deliver some of the best model sailing with the best back drops here in the North East. August breezes typically have us sailing a long course parallel to our raised bulkhead control area. Don't miss this one.

Skippers list as of 8/3

Jack Baldwin CT
Al Dion CT
Jamey Betz PA
Bruce Walton CT
Tim Stone VT
George Townsend VT
Kevin MacLellan CT
Biff Martin MA
John Skerry MA
Eddie Wolf MA
David VanCleef RI
Robert Greer FL
Chuck Luscomb CT
Phil Tonks VT
David Branning NJ
Don Barker MD

Won't you join us?

Chuck Luscomb
Last edited by Chuck Luscomb on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2012 Mystic Region 1 Championships

Postby greerdr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Florida will be there(at least I will).
Hope to see Al Dion, with his lightning fast new boat; as well as Jack Ward-always a top notch contender to round out Florida skippers.
"Snow-birds" we call 'em down here-what do you call me-other than:"from away"?
Where do we put Jake Leo now?
Can't wait to see where Jake settles;but he will be very welcomed to the Florida Fleet.
This(Mystic) is such a spectacular venue that it encourages a great turn-out.
I look forward to sailing with ya'll around the "last coal powered steamship".
I submit we should do the cruise again.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh no....bummer on the JClass event....and my new boat is still looking for someone to play with. I will do an e-mail blast and make sure the NOR and Registration are completed for the JClass Tilghman Island, MD one day event Friday, September 7th followed by two days of EC12 Colonial Cup races, September 8 - 9.. Think about the Maryland crabs, oysters, fried chicken, corn and that Eastern Shore Hospitality! Mark it down.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

All,

We are in the final planning stages of our Mystic Regatta. We have 16 boats registered for this regatta with some new faces to Mystic which is great. We now have three EC12s from Marblehead registered and the fleet is growing up there. We have three from Stowe VT and a couple from MD and PA. A good mixed fleet from all over the North East.

We should get underway by 9:30 or so but be sure to arrive and unload before 9am as once the gates open to the general public, we will not be able to drive down the access road to the North Gate to unload each morning. There will be boat storage on the Seaport Grounds Saturday night and it is locked so this makes it nice not to have to haul all our stuff back to the cars.

The weather is looking good breeze wise for Saturday. SSW at 10-12kts so A rigs will do the trick. Might see some rain as well so bring foul weather gear and a bag for your radios. The plan is to sail unless it borders on ridiculous. Sunblock is another good thing to bring as I have seen some of the worst sun burns on overcast days. Temps look to be in the low to mid 80s. There will be plenty of water and soft drinks on hand to help you stay cool. Don't forget your launchers as the floating docks ride higher than normal so without a launcher, it might be a bit hard to haul your boat. No boots are required but I would recommend sneakers or boat shoes and not flip flops. The docks have gaps in them and it may not be good in flip flops.

Dinner will be at the Steak Loft in Old Mystic Village so if you have not noted your coming on your entry form, please let me know so we can have a seat for everyone.

Looking forward to another great event at Mystic Seaport.

See you there,

Chuck Luscomb
Commodore
Mystic River Radio Sailors
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Five of us that look forward to Mystic are in SAN on "Brawner's Folly." I personally will miss this annual trek to sail. It is a great venue and we are well liked there at the Seaport.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 am

We wish you guys the best of luck out there in San Diego. 19 days in a week in CA? Pretty amazing stuff.

Tell Dave that the race week updates are excellent and helps keep us up to speed on what his happening.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:53 am

Although it was hot in Mystic, we did not get the rain or wind the weather forecasters suggested. We got a few very minor sprinkles which faded away by noon. After that, the breeze built and filled from the SSW with peaks around 10-13 kts. which made for some very good sailing. Good passing opportunities both upwind and downwind made for some excellent racing. We did have one little obstacle though. A 40ft Catamaran anchored just North and to weather of our leeward marks which brought the boat into play on the exit from the mark. Some pretty interesting strategies were developed to take advantage and pass the boat ahead while avoiding the big cat.

We were able to get 14 races in today and as we got rolling it was starting to look like it was going to be Team Stowe all the way. Phil Tonks was on fire as he started things off going 2-1-1 for our first trio. On his heels was Tim Stone who was also scoring well. Tim pulled off a perfect port tack start which left the fleet wondering what just happened. Phils early lead would soon fade as Al Dion, Bruce Walton and Chuck Luscomb simply swapped lead positions race after race. So as of this writing the leader board looks like this before throw outs...

1-Chuck Luscomb #84 44pts
2-Bruce Walton #633 61 pts
3-Al Dion #74 65 pts
4-Bob Greer #00 91pts
5-Kevin MacLellan #13 93pts

The forecast for tomorrow is Sunny and cooler... stay tuned.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Well, Mystic is now in the History Books as they say...

Sunday

We arrived to overcast skies and the Seaport Staff electing to not hoist their huge American Flag due to impending rain. Well, it didn't do that. By noon, the skies started to clear up and the Sun came out and we had day two of a picture perfect event. The breeze started South with some SE creeping in now and again and then as it did the day before, it settled on SW at 10-12kts and provided some of the best racing we have had in some time. Steady but shifty enough to reward the witty and sly in the fleet and no lead was secure we came to discover.

Some observations...
I have been to many regattas over the last several years and I must make a comment about this one in particular. The level of skill and sportsmanship at this event was one of the best I have ever been to. I have also never been to a regatta where while locked in battle for the lead with three or more boats, fits of laughter could be heard and the one liners were some of the best. The skippers seemed to stand together in the control area for no other reason as to not miss any one liners that seemed to be in ample supply.

For example, Al Dion was leading a Sunday race after the first weather mark rounding with Dave VanCleef and Chuck Luscomb in hot pursuit and while walking the length of our control area, Al notices a wad of money on the ground and bends over to pick it up. His boat of course turns 90 degrees and no one knows why until we see him collecting the cash and putting it in his pocket... needless to say, the comments started to fly and I am not sure I have ever laughed so hard.

No harsh words were exchanged at any point and congratulations were handed out and handshakes all around when anyone did well. Really fun.

Nicely done gentlemen and my hat is off to each of you. Sorry it is over and I look forward to sailing with you again.

We were able to complete 27 races by Sunday at 2pm and the final standings looked like this...

1-Chuck Luscomb 44pts
2 Al Dion 82pts
3-Bruce Walton 90.83pts (R)
4-David VanCleef 115pts
5-Jamey Betz 125
6-Kevin MacLellan 129pts
7-Bob Greer 132pts
8-Don Barker 141pts
9-Phil Tonks 176pts
10-Tim Stone 188pts
11-John Skerry 223pts
12-Dave Branning 227pts
13-George Townsend 259pts
14-Jack Baldwin 261pts
15-Eddie Wolf 292pts
16-Biff Martin -withdrew-

Full report with photo link here to follow.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I'll post pix soon(thanks to Amanda) as she LOADED an 8 gig disc TWICE!
But I must comment on how well Judy kept us rolling,how well scoring was done,and how responsive the rescue boat was. And finally to Chuck;thank you for providing us such a great venue (and lunches) and setting the tone for all that great friendship evidenced on the dockside. This was a super regatta.If you didn't keep your wits about you 5 boats passed in the blink of an eye-close and exciting racing with skippers who knew the rules-what a joy.Thanks again New England for a most enjoyable regatta!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby DonBarker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 pm

One of the better "one liners" occurred at the windward mark. Due to a general port tack lift, many in the fleet ended up over standing the mark and approaching the windward mark on the port tack lay line hoping to squeeze in and tack within the 4 boat length circle. On one race Jack was part of the leaders of the starboard tack train and announced to the port tack train of boats some thing to the effect: "Watch out I am on starboard tack and have nothing to loose!." That surrounding mid-fleet skippers broke into laughter.

Great regatta, thanks Chuck. It was worth the drive to get around NY city.

Don
#25 "the other yellow boat"
Don Barker
DonBarker

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm

That IS the best "one liner"of the regatta I heard!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

Chuck,

Thanks again for a wonderfull weekend. Even with the warmer than normal conditions this was one of the best regattas ever. As stated before the laughter, scrounging for dollars and the skill level fo the skippers made this event memorible. The race committee including Judy & Ron were awesome and kept things moving. Thanks to Chuck's wife Mary for working in the background helping with the lunch spread both days. Always a great bunch of people to sail with and hang out with after sailing.

Can't wait til the next EC12 Regatta and to next years Mystic.
Tim
Vermont
"Just for Fun" #484
Tim

Postby greerdr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I am remiss in that I did not also thank Mary Luscomb for the wonderful lunches;the watermelon/kiwi was exactly what our bodies needed (potassium and calcium) because we sweated out so much. The work behind the scenes ALWAYS goes unappreciated doesn't it?
Thank you Mary.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby greerdr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:00 pm

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Regatta Stuff