Atlanta Regattas

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Atlanta Regattas

Postby skip241 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 am

Some questions are coming my way and would like to clarify a few items.

The annual Gone With the Wind Regatta will be held September 22 and 23 of this year in Lawrenceville, GA once again. The park and lake we used in the past has been reconfigured and the lake is no longer available. We will be sailing in my neighborhood lake as we did once before. If you want to see the lake via Google Maps or the such, go to my home address (241 Ashbourne Trail, Lawrenceville, GA 30043) and then scroll southeast. You might be able to find it by searching for "Collins Hill Park", Lawrenceville, GA. The regatta NOR and more information related to the regatta will be posted in mid July.

This weekend the Atlanta Yacht Club (the big boat club) is hosting a one day regatta on Sunday, July 1. The "Red, White and Blue Regatta" is being coordinated by John Mulhoussen of the AYC. They hosted the Gone With the Wind Regatta last year and put on a great event. The yacht club is really excited about hosting another EC12 affair and would like to invite everyone either living in or visiting the Atlanta area to attend. If you would like to join them for a day of racing, please contact John at jmuhl@att.net.

Have a great summer everyone!

Skip Allen :D
Atlanta
skip241

Re: Atlanta Regattas

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:51 am

This was my very first RC regatta in 2000. We got rained out on Sunday, but the rest of the time was a blast. The facilities are fantastic. Skip puts on a great event. The lake is down in a "Hollow" with plenty of trees all around. I watched John B sail four legs of the course all on a close hauled Port tack. He never changed his sail trim once. It is simultaneously the most frustrating and most fun time you will ever have. I am marking my calendar now and I will do my best to be there.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am

This will be the first regatta of my 2012 road trip east. I will be there Friday afternoon after a visit with Linda Angel. It can't be any worse than Elon so we can laugh and whine about it. :D

I am looking forward to the great social and dinner hospitality the Allen's put on. As I recall, the hot Frogmore Stew is hoisted up from a fire on the ground to the upper level deck for serving. Cool.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am

I think you might want to hire a different promotion staff, Skip.

"The lake is down in a "Hollow" with plenty of trees all around. I watched John B sail four legs of the course all on a close hauled Port tack. He never changed his sail trim once."

"It can't be any worse than Elon..."

:) Funny stuff.

If there is wind in the area, it is a fairly big and long lake, so there could be good wind and good racing.
Scott
s vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Scott, you sound like an MSNBC reporter. You selectively edited my comment to make it sound like I don't like Skip. What about the part were I said "...most fun time you will ever have" ???

How about if I put it this way? DO NOT MISS THIS REGATTA!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby kahle67 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Might have to come spice up that stew into a true Low Country Boil with a Cajun flare.
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby kahle67 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Joe,

I bet you a non carbonated adult beverage that I can get the ring on the hook in less swings.

Edit: Oops! breaking protocol here with a little too much chat. Sorry!
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 am

I am all in favor of chatting up a great event.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am

He is from Florida, Reichard.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 pm

I hope to be there.
Skip is the MOST hospitable RD/host in the fleet!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Regatta Stuff