Redress

The Racing Rules prescribe certain things. It's wise to know them, at least the basics. This area discusses the finer points of the racing rules for sailing fast.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Redress

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Can someone please explain the conditions for redress in P&R fleets and regattas that don't have P&R? I want to know who gets what and under what conditions :roll:

Is there current written rules regarding this?

Thanks

Jon
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Re: Redress

Postby Rick West » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:13 pm

The question of Redress is not being ignore but will be addressed again as it was at the last NCR shortly. I will have a link for something to read that incorporates the Rules, proper recognition for damage done and proper penalty for an incident. This was addressed at the NCR as never before and the involvement of the race committee.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Re: Redress

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

We are looking at the Redress Question. In the meantime, here is the procedure that was used at the 2011 NCR and at several regattas since. Redress, RRS Rule 62, has requirements to be met in order to award Redress. The boats finishing position must be 'significantly' affected.

1. During the heat, The Race Committee must make a determination of the approximate place of the boat, requesting Redress, when the incident occurred. The RD, Asst. RD, Mark Judges and any other Race Committee members should all make a good faith effort to note the approximate place of a boat requesting Redress when the incident occurs.
2. The Redress Hearing is held immediately following the heat.
3. If Redress is denied, the actual finishing place will be the boats score.
4. If Redress is awarded, the score sheet will hold a "R" score for that heat , until the boat has 5 heat scores to determine a posted score based on the average of the closest 5 scores, not to include the score from the heat Redress was awarded.
5. The Race Committee will use the approximate place of the boat noted by the Race Committee, during the incident that she was awarded Redress, to determine if she is to be promoted or demoted.
Note:
If the boat awarded Redress does not have 5 heat scores to determine a finishing place, the Race Committee will assign the boat awarded Redress, as provided in #5.

The Race Committee will prepare a finishing list of all boats for that heat. A boat in the top 3 or 4 positions, should be promoted or kept in the A fleet. If the boat was in the last 3 or 4 positions when the incident occurred, she would be demoted or kept in the C fleet.

This procedure only applies until a boat has 5 posted scores excluding the heat when the incident occurred.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to Sailing with the RRS