Update Information

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Update Information

Postby Rick West » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:41 am

This section, which was originally to be about regatta operation and associated organization, has become a near real time regatta update log. This is good for some information is available before officials can report and webmasters can respond. As more and more of us are walking around with phones that are communicators with access to home networks, wireless networks and the Internet; there is talk on forums about providing streaming information as well as instant messaging. I am not adverse to this movement but it associates with manpower and workload management. Here is an example:

I arrive in Annapolis at 1700 Sunday following the Cambridge event and immediately posted on the .org and this forum. Doug had already posted from his Blackberry some information while driving and was not home yet. Then answered emails and updated Frank Angel. Monday morning I flew home to San Francisco and made it to my office at 1800 to organize the todo list made on the plane with notes. Tuesday morning I spent two hours on the phone, answering email, sending latest Morgan-Black scanned PDF entries to Doug, completed store orders and loaded all work files needed for a 10 trip to the boat. We left at 1130.

Meanwhile, David Brawner (scorekeeper for Colonial) updated the CRS and I received it Wednesday morning where I was in my boat office (Lazyboy) doing the following: Updated the Colonial Series for the CRS and the NCR Q-List, the NOR for Mystic, Event Info and Revision on .org. Updated the CRS site with Morgan-Black entries and cabin listings, the Site Update and regatta banner. I am writing this at 1000 and I will be done for a while Uncle Frank checks my work. It takes two seniors to produce that of one forty year old. In the last two days four people combined to get it all done.

The point of this is illumination that I am on the job every day; some days are not needed but the email, and other days are heavy. This latter is self inflicted, as I do not have a printer, mailing and shipping supplies on the boat. However, that is a blessing and I enjoy the busyness.

The Class is not responsible for the Champions Regatta Series and is managed but the four scorekeepers, Frank Angel, David Brawner, Brian Jobson and Joe Walter. The Class supports the information and reports it on the Web.

It is coincidental that during discussions before and during the Cambridge event that recognized the demand for even more timely information than we have provided in our media, that this will require a new staff position. The same was recognized for a Class Photo Site for regattas and events. This is in the works.
It is a matter of perspective.

<b>Important Regatta Notice:</b> Mystic is just over a month away. Last years event was a major hit with those that attended. This is a three-day event sailing both J Class and EC12 using day schedules. At the awards gathering last year the group requested that this format and event be on the calendar this year. The NOR has just been posted so please get your entries in ASAP. This will help Chuck Luscomb immensely.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm

We love you Rick! This class would not be the same without all of the effort in communications that you, Uncle Frank and others bring to EC-12 sailors. Keep up the good work and don't ever quit on us.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Rick West » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Okay...I don't see a PayPal email notice?

Thanks. :-)

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:49 pm

We really do see and appreciate the Herculean effort by a group of true stewards of the class.
My thanks are added.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 am

Me too Bob. No Paypals but lots of attaboys.
bigfoot55

Postby Rick West » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am

I appreciate the kudos guys. My posting was to show an example that instant information is possible but not always practical or convenient. Near streaming information by phone is fine for an overview but some patience for the rest is appreciated too.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Regatta Stuff