IEC/12 1980's Style

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

IEC/12 1980's Style

Postby RodCarr » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:26 pm

I'd like to clear up an error that appeared in one of "Treasure's" postings concerning the historical attempt at forming an IEC/12 Class. He said: "It was Michael Chalder of the AMYA EC12 class that pulled the plug on Carr and Co."

In point of fact what happened was that 65 U.S. skippers cross registered their US EC-12's in a provisional IEC-12 Class which was set up to be the US home of the IEC-12. At that time, the IEC-12 was an ISAF International Class, and had been engaged in a rewriting of the class rule to meet ISAF requirements that were establishing commonality among ISAF Class Rules.

It was necessary to have 5 countries registering the boats to maintain ISAF Status for the boats. The US skippers as a whole did not want the US EC-12 to be sailed under the International version of the rule, hence the formation of the new IEC-12 Class under American Model Yachting Association sanction. The deal killer was the American MYA President, one Ned Helmle, who refused to accept the 65 members who wanted to form an IEC-12 Class within the American MYA. Though the American MYA Constitution clearly allowed 20 members to form a class, Mr. Helmle, in his "wisdom", simply broke American MYA's own rules in disallowing the IEC-12 to be recognized in the US. Without the US, we did not have 5 countries, and the IEC was declared moribund by ISAF, and eventually removed from the list of International Classes.

Now, all this is prologue to correct "Treasure's" comment above. After Mr. Helmle's illegal action, I resigned as AMYA EC-12 Class Secretary, and that job was taken over by Glenn Chalder. Under Mr. Chalder's direction the class maintained continuity, made good progress in reforming several important issues embedded in its American MYA Class Rule and continued its steady growth. So Mr. Chalder should be lauded as one of those who stepped forward and threw his energy and support behind the class, not as was intimated by "Treasure".
RodCarr

Postby Stephen Crewes » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:05 pm

My, My, The great man himself. I knew this hull standardization had all the hallmarks of you on it. I just knew "he" was hanging around. IEC12M by another name?
Stephen Crewes

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Thank you Rod,clouds part and a little light shows above the horizon.
i think treasurer is sailing this week end,Aus nationals so it may be a day or two before many posts are posted,perhaps we can learn from history after all.Any one remember this

AMYA ec12 class rules.
Lenth overall. mimimum 58inches,maximum 60 inches,however hulls measuring up to 63inches in the hands of class members are to be considerd in conformance with these rules.[?][?][?][:I][:I][:I][:I]
Nautic12

Postby Nautic12 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Treasure beat me to the punch,say hello to frank
Nautic12

Postby Stephen Crewes » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:35 pm

I guess the great man has got to say something.If you want to put your 'spin' on it, that's alright. But when someone (the owner) hands you two gi-normous folders with all the correspondence between the International Secretary and the International President , it does give one an amazing insight in to this IEC12M re-write? I might add that to get a collection of("like minded", your words) people around the World with no opposing views, courts problems and boy did you have some.

Lets hope you can get at least one opposing view, this time. Why don't you tell them about the Moritorium on the rules then that everyone had to abide by, except the USA, that was fun reading, especially as the "Rest of the World " didn't know about it? I don't want to argue about this. I'm glad your back(not that you were ever away) where we can see you.
Stephen Crewes

Postby RodCarr » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:55 pm

It has always been more difficult to make constructive progress than simply snipe at those make the attempt. Bad mouthing is easy, building consensus, developing cooperation and working together toward a common goal without fanfare or publicity, that's substantially more of an effort......which few make in my view. It kind of starts by being willing to use one's own name in communicating with people, rather than hiding behind a cutsey "handle". When you can match the 36 years I've put into the class you will have a start on developing credibility which is totally lacking at the moment.
RodCarr

Postby Matthew Houghton » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:17 am

Wow, Rod, that's kind of harsh don't you think. I think there is a great amount of credibility in the current class and think that the folks involved now have done an incredible job at providing a great deal of information and leadership.

Thanks to everyone. I love this hobby.

Matt Houghton
Matthew Houghton

Postby boatie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:16 am

Rod , you could not put it better. I appreshate all the hard work you have done over the years that have lead to such a great class .
All this negativate is daming to say the least.
We have never ( here in NZ ) had so much decusion about pitty things.
Come on guys, Think about what the class is all about and enjoy your sailing at the Lake !

Davie Norris
President NZEC12OA[:)][:)]
boatie

Return to EC12 - International Chat