TX problems

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

TX problems

Postby usail » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:49 pm

I have a Futaba T6EX which I purchased last fall. Although it hasn't always been this bad, it now only functions between 30 & 35 mins. before the beep comes on at 8.6V.
I was using a 2200 mAh NI-MH batt pack from Battery space and just purchased two new packs (2600 mA Ni-MH) from Only batteries. All three packs when charged by my MRC Super Brain 960 AC-DC Peak Charger last only 30 mins. When fully charged, they all read 10.6v on the transmitter readout.
Any solutions/suggestions?
usail

Postby tag1945 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 pm

I suspect that your charger is not working properly. I use Battery space 2200 mah batteries and their Universal Charger. When fully charged, they are quite warm and read over 11 volts. I get over 4 hours on the TX with these batteries and they are over a year old. I am not familiar with your charger, but I would suspect it is not set properly or something else is wrong with it....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by usail</i>

I have a Futaba T6EX which I purchased last fall. Although it hasn't always been this bad, it now only functions between 30 & 35 mins. before the beep comes on at 8.6V.
I was using a 2200 mAh NI-MH batt pack from Battery space and just purchased two new packs (2600 mA Ni-MH) from Only batteries. All three packs when charged by my MRC Super Brain 960 AC-DC Peak Charger last only 30 mins. When fully charged, they all read 10.6v on the transmitter readout.
Any solutions/suggestions?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
tag1945

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Just out of curiosity, what happens with the stock 600 MA pack and charger that came with the radio? I get 3.5 hours hard sailing with it.
Tom P
bigfoot55

Postby yachtie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:11 am

I have the same TX and to be different (as always [8D]) I took the factory pack out and got rid of it converting the system to a standard individual AA 8 cell from my old AM Futaba set. I use throw away alkalines and have been averaging 8 hours racing on them for $6NZD (US$4.50). No hassles, no charging and easy to keep spares in your pocket as the voltage drops. I can change the whole lot in 30-40 seconds. [:D]

No need to worry about which pack is charged, which isn't and how dopey are they getting [:p]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby usail » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks for responses. Although I do have some questions about my charger; namely that it dose'nt seem to make the batteries hot while charging and only charges to 10.6V; it does charge them to 10.6 as indicated on bot hte digital readout on the charger as well as the readout on the TX.
I can't see how the charger can make the batteries run down to 8.6V in 30 mins when inserted into the TX?
I do note that the small charger supplied with the TX does charge the batteries to a higher level (11.1V) than my other, higher priced model.
usail

Postby WJP » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 pm

I think you answered your question in your last two sentences of your last post. When I charge my 9.6 volt battery pack for my Tx it registers 11.4 or 11.5. It is a 1650ma pack and I can use it all day and it takes only about 800 to 900ma on a recharge. I suspect that you arent getting a full charge from your charger. The charger is not running the battery down. It appears you are starting the day with about half capacity. Good Luck!
WJP

Postby usail » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:28 am

The charger WAS the problem. Using the Futaba charger supplied with the TX, I'm now getting 6 hours (and counting) from my packs.
I'm working with MRC's tech svc. to correct their charger's settings.
Many thanks for the superb advise!
Bill Ewing
EC 1888
usail

Return to Electronics