Shrouds and Sheets

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Shrouds and Sheets

Postby Albert Stall » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi,

I'm new to EC12's and I'm trying to find a supplier of the 7 strand SS 60lb shroud wire and the Spectra 80 lb sheet line. Also, does the shroud lines hae to be plain wire or can they have the plastic covering.

Does anyone have a clue as to where to find the quantity needed. I live in Boynton Beach, FL

Thanks,

Al Stall

Albert Stall
Albert Stall

Postby s vernon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Albert,

Perhaps the thread "Floppy Spectra for Sheet Lines" about 12 lines/threads down the page from your thread might help with part of your problem.

EC12.info building site probably talks about a source for braided stay wire. Also I imagine your local Sportsman's Whatever-it-is/Bass Pro store ought to have the braided wire that you want. They also have the single strand wire that many of us use for stays.

To add: The uncoated stranded 60# on the build site is the following.
http://www.castawaylakes.com/7Strand.html

Scott
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:19 pm

You can buy wire today at Tuppens,about 10 miles north of you on I-95,10th avenue exit.Also (and this is better) come up to Northlake exit, #77, tomorrow-Sunday-and sail with the Palm Beach Gardens fleet and stop at Gander Mountain on your way back to 95.They have all the wire gear you need.
RMD,Bob Dudinsky, is making parts for rigging and I encourage you to inquire if you need any deck/mast or radio board parts.He has made some super high quality parts that are really neat.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Albert Stall » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks for the answer. I have been in touch with RMD and I think I will get my parts from Bob. I've already ordered the hull etc., from him and I'm waiting for a quote on the rest of the goodies.

Also, I have been up that way for the last two Sundays and have joined your club. Great location!! Nice Guys!!!

Thanks,

Al Stall
Albert Stall

Postby greerdr » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:50 pm

You can't do better than the new RMD "goodies".The more close holes on shroud bases/jib attachment and mast step and the titanium vang are sierra hotel.
I missed you-let me know when you can make it to the lake and I'll bring you a loaner boat to race.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:16 pm

R.C. what did you fly?
Larry Ludwig

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Larry,

I don't think Bob flew anything...

I think what he wanted to say was edited by him for content.

"Sh$*#@ Hot" was what he wanted to say and said "Sierra Hotel" instead.

I think that is correct if I know the author.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:59 am

My last airplane was an Aztec,PA-23-250,a Piper light twin.I have about 3500 hrs in various birds including Seaplane and glider ratings.
Serria Hotel was exactly as explained..an expression from over from 22 years in the USN.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:22 am

Thanks Chuck, I recognized the reference from my days in Uncle Sam's flying club, specifically the Viper, which is why I was asking.

I gave it up after 30+ years and 15,000 hours, but I still miss the fun part, but always enjoy meeting another kindred soul.
Larry Ludwig

Postby greerdr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm

You may not know(EC-12 fleet)the Viper is also called the Falcon,the F-16,the best "hair on fire",go-get-em fighter we have ever had in the USAF.Bravo Zulu to you Larry.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby yachtie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 am

I got to go up in F4 and F14 many, many years ago off USS Constellation on the way from Hawaii to Japamn - is that good as well?

Kiwi's Can Fly!!!!![:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:59 am

Sorry for going off topic... and BZ is a Naval "well done"

D.R. thanks man, Viper is the ticket, after that nothing comes close. I still go round with the Eagle guys, we tease them about playing golf but they won't let us get within 12 miles of them. [8D] The gloomers say it won't be long and no more pilots, everything will be UCAV pulling 20g's... I miss it, but I had a 60 lb. bag of sand break in the shop yesterday and I had a Gulf flashback.. so.. I'm just glad to be home.... falafel... uughh....

Yachtie. you crazy Kiwi...
how the heck did you manage that? I tried everything I could to go around the patch in an F-4.. and I never could swing it. I finally thought I had a ride in RF-4 out of Bergstrom, but got snookered at the last minute. They are both gone now.. damn shame too. Our Vipers are defending VFW posts now, the T-37 died just recently, F-117 is dead, I guess I am getting old... but I can still see 20/10 heheh
but the hearing is dropping off.. gee.. I wonder why... When Rick came by years ago, you could smell the JP-4 from RAFB I was that close and they just lost the Nav school. The Navy is going to teach the Airforce how to Nav now at PNS. "What do I do now sarge? it's not in the manual" [:D]
Larry Ludwig

Postby yachtie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah - way off topic but it was fantastic.

Spent a week on the carrier as a swap between NZ and US Navies in 1980 after RIMPAC exercise out of Hawaii. Did my time as a Marine Engineer Apprentice.

Anyhow as part of week on the flat top we got to experience the 2 flights as well as some helo stuff.

Stuff memories are made of and never forgotten.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby greerdr » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:46 am

On this 4July remember that every Vet you know once wrote a check,payable to the USA, for: "anything" up to and including your life.
Happy Independence Day!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Sails & Rigs