New Build Out

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

New Build Out

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:01 pm

I am rcving a EC12 Hull and Deck. I have built only one other S/B the Victoria. I was wondering what Sail Winches the masses use on the EC12? Does it have to be a drum style or can you use an arm?
//
Any good ideas on where to get a new Rudder? I understand they are difficult to make if you have no exp in that area.
//
Tks for any info

Steve
Steve

Postby Rick West » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Welcome to the 12 Discussions, Steve, and to EC12Net. First of all, where are you getting a hull and deck? I hope it is not an unregistered Dumas.

The rudder situation depends on what hull you have. If you have a Hull Standard that has been in production since the 90's it will be easy.

If you have found www.ec12.info in your Internet travels, you will see what the masses are up to. The Ozmun swing arm winch has be used by those that like low complication in building with good performance. The majority are buying the RMG 280DL and the new recommended drum is the 30zs7 by RMG. At the above website there is a recent comment on this new drum in Bulletins.

Give us some more information on the hull and a follow up will clear some things up as to where you should go.

BTW all, Steve is in the Sooner State club Victoria fleet at OKC.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:42 am

The hull is a Hickman. Coming from Doug Wotring. So I am in need of a rudder for the Hickman hull. Deck is also coming from Doug. I have planned (due to tight finances) to use the Dumas probar and a Hitec servo to control it. Will I need a hi torque servo for the rudder or standard? I would like to find a complete mast/boom set up already built like the CF I used on my Vic. Sails I will either make flat or go to someone like Carr/Blackmagic..
//
fair winds

Steve
Steve

Postby Rick West » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:01 pm

Okay! The Hickman is a current hull and you can get the rudder from Skip Hickman direct. His information is on the Suppliers list on the class website at www.ec12.com.

If the boat or hull does not have a deck on it yet, it is highly recommended to install a RMG drum winch as shown on the class building site. I understand your concerns for cost but once the deck is installed conversion from a swing arm sheetline delivery system will be costly and labor intensive.

You can use a standard servo for the rudder and easily change it out later if needed. The high torque servos are needed for downwind runs in higher wind to prevent spin outs. This would only be critical to you in major competitions.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Electronics