happy place ,happy place............

Chat regarding International EC12 operations, country organizations, event gathering and proposed alliances.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

happy place ,happy place............

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:45 pm

man I recall when this forum used to be a happy place to get info on the boats in general.

what is with the pissing match about the IEC12.

It does not exist.

if you wish to make it exist do something about it.

The future of the IEC12 class has absolutely nothing to do with what happened 20 years ago.

I think we have heard enough.....I don't even like to check in here anymore
Doug Wotring

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:48 pm

as a follow up...start the ball rolling on your side of the pond....

"If you build it they will come"
Doug Wotring

Postby bodacious » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:36 pm

AMEN!
bodacious

Postby RodCarr » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:48 pm

Unfortunately, Doug, history is repeating itself. American skippers have routinely refused to become part of the International community of R/C sailing. I used to think it was because they were just being contrary, but am wondering now if maybe it is that American skippers simply can't cut the mustard, and rather than sail in an International regatta and get their transoms handed to them, they prefer to hide behind their borders and hide from the rest of the world. I notice everytime Mr. Bantock shows up, no American finishes above him in the event standings......or am I wrong. History does matter......it often explains more than one is willing to acknowledge.
RodCarr

Postby Nautic12 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:07 am

Doug,the title at top of page is still"a discussion of ALL things
ec12,have you thought about starting your own Happy Happy place
10 out of 10 Rod i love a man who tells it like it is,In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is king,robust discusion sparks ideas,broadens the mind ect if you do not know the past how on earth can you plan the future??? unless of course you want to repeat
past mistakes !59-63 inch boats,come on Doug let your main out a bit,you are in peril of landing in irons.[:X][:X][:X][:X]
Nautic12

Postby Doug Wotring » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:45 am

well that may be true. I am for an IEC-12 class.......but i don't see anyone taking the helm.....just alot of talk, bantering, supposition,and somewhat of a pissing match.

Like I said...build it and they will come.

The length issue I believe is a issue which is no longer an issue.....

draft up some rules....heck make the rules.......and set up an inaugural (sp?) event and hold it.

Or, ask that you be allowed to enter Foriegn flag boats in a US event as FEO (For Exhibition Only), if exhibition is good enough for the olympics.....

I will have to defer to those who were old enough to afford an EC-12 when the IEC-12 attempt was made as I know nothing about it.

And I agree history does serve to teach lessons.....it failed before....so don't make the same mistake this time

again on the 53-61" boats.......I don't see that in the current rules........perhaps you ought to throw out that 20 year old single page rulebook youur guys have and fire up the printer and run off a few copies of the current rules.
Doug Wotring

Postby Matthew Houghton » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:11 am

Rod, it is just that kind of pessimistic thinking that will not allow this class to get together.

The southern hemisphere folks want to sail the boats as is - no matter how different those boats may be.

The current EC12 class in the US wants to be a one design class - and not just by name.

You know what? NEITHER IS WRONG. The fact that we have two different ideas doesn't mean that mean that American skippers don't want to have their butts handed to them.

I personally believe that, if you're going to call yourself one design, make it a one design class. I have no desire to race my sunfish in a laser fleet. That's extreme, but it's true.

I won't go to NZ for a race - not because Iam worried about having my butt handed (although I get that here) to me but because there's no way I can afford to do so.

Keep it in mind that some of the folks that are posting, don't even travel out of their areas let alone internationally.

EVERYONE is welcome to come sail with me.

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Return to EC12 - International Chat