Hagerstown Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Hagerstown Regatta

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am

Terrific News: The newly added Colonial Cup event is now open for business....i.e. REGISTRATIONS. The first annual 2019 Hagerstown Regatta, chaired by Jarl Wathne, is going to be a one day event on October 19th. The NOR and Registration Link are here and ready for your reading pleasure.
Notice of Race
Hagerstown Regatta
October 19, 2019

Organized by the Cumberland Valley Model Yacht Club #347

Rules: The regatta will be governed by The Racing Rules of Sailing 2017, as amended by Appendix E for RC sailing, prescriptions of US Sailing, and further Sailing Instructions as announced by the Race Director during the course of event.

Eligibility: A member of the EC12 Class.

Location: City Park Lake, 501 Virginia Ave., Hagerstown, MD 21740

Chamber of Commerce Notes: Sailing venue is City Park Lake in Hagerstown MD. City Park Lake. It has been named the 2nd most beautiful city park in America. It is overlooked by the Washington County Museum of Fine Art.
Cumberland Valley Model Yacht Club is the first to ever be allowed to sail model boats on this city treasure. The lake has a sidewalk around the entire perimeter with a stone wall edge so no wading required. The water level is less than a foot below the sidewalk. Bring your lifting cradle.
Hagerstown MD is nicknamed "Hub City" because it is easy to get to from all four compass points located at the junction of I-70 and I-81.

Contact: Jarl Wathne, mdrcsail@aol.com or cell: 301-491-7363

Schedule: Saturday, October 19, 2019
Skippers Meeting 9:30 am
Racing begins following meeting
Lunch break 12:00
Racing 1:00 pm to 3:45 pm

Donuts, Coffee, Water, Lunch, Soft Drinks will be provided. Four deep prizes included in fee. Awards presentation will follow as soon as final scores are tabulated.

Entry: Entries may be submitted online at this URL:
https://form.jotform.com/BobbyDodger/hagerstown-ec12-regatta-2019
If the hot link doesn’t work for you, copy and paste the URL in your browser.

Scoring: The event will be scored under the Low Point System described in the Racing Rules of Sailing Appendix A. For each 7 races are sailed, a boat’s worst score will be excluded.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded to the top 4 skippers.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Re: Hagerstown Regatta

Postby Dave_Branning » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:55 am

As of 10/17, Here's the Final 17 Boat Skipper List: Registration is now Closed unless someone drops out in the next few days.
Dave Ramos
Scott Graf
Domenick Bonanno
Dave Branning
Tim Stone
Harry Mote
Scott Smith
Nick Krawczak
Roger Baldwin
Jamey Betz
Doug McLellan
Jerry Franko
Terrance Lamb
Kelly Davis
Doug Wotring
Mike Cavanaugh
Troy Wallace
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 am

I do not want to pre-empt Jarl's Regatta report but inquiring minds want a glimpse of what took place at Hagerstown yesterday. Beautiful Fall day; 15 boats sailing 12 races and David Ramos nosed out Jamey Betz by one point to take the first annual Hagerstown Regatta with Scott Graf in third. Official EC12 Class Photographer, Judy Bonanno's great pictures are at the link below.
Fantastic sized city pond in a town park with great courses and terrific support team. Dozens of spectators with great interest from many. One of the most perfect days of racing with friends this year. New enthusiastic fleet with a great location.....a must visit event in 2020. Thanks to the Cumberland Valley MYC for a wonderful day.

https://judybonanno.smugmug.com/Sailing/Hagerstown-
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Here is Jarl Wathne's Regatta Report

1st Hagerstown EC12 Regatta
The day dawned with a clear blue sky and a cold mist hovering on Hagerstown City Park Lake. Cumberland Valley MYC members were excited to host a brand new EC12 regatta at this 100 yr old classic City Park Lake. It reminds me of my childhood family vacation memories getting glimpses of model sailboats at Central Park and Golden Gate Park. We had 15 skippers show up to compete in this event, traveling from PA, NJ, WV, MD, and even VT!! Two are former National Champions and four were local club members. I even convinced my friend Doug Wotring to come play after a 5 yr absence!
Two boats had issues with faulty or missing equipment and both were rescued by Terry Lamb using his demo boat as a parts boat for a sail rig and transmitter-receiver loaners. Awesome!!
Racing started at 10AM with a light breeze from the south, which is the best direction for this lake. Single fleet racing all day long and the wind slowly built to 5-10mph and the southerly held. We lengthened the races from 1 ¼ laps to 2 ¼ laps to make it 2 long upwind legs as the wind picked up. The skippers shared the lake edge sidewalk with lots of fascinated spectators young and old. The first 4 races were all won by a different skipper and those 4 skippers would end up winning every race and being the 1-4th place at the end of the day. Jamey Betz made it two bullets in a row to complete the morning with a 4 pt lead over Dave Ramos.

After lunch Jamey had a mechanical underdeck issue that gave him a last place finish while Dave R began a run to the finish line with 3 -1st, a 2nd and 3 -3rds. Jamey also had 3-1sts after lunch but could not quite catch him despite the two throwouts, losing by 1 pt. Scott Graf had an excellent regatta with two bullets and ended a solid 3rd place. 4th place trophy was won by a tiebreaker with Dave Branning’s win in the third race gaining him the last trophy over Harry Mote.

There was close racing at all levels of the fleet as 10 of the positions were settled by one pt or less. My two scorekeepers Nicole Asplund and Penny Smith were flawless! EC12 Class Photographer Judy Bonanno and CVMYC website manager and photographer, Helen Stevens were capturing the event. Thanks to my CVMYC members and also to City of Hagerstown for allowing us to host this amazing event!! Let’s do it again next year. Maybe a two day?
-Jarl Wathne, Race Director, Commodore CVMYC.

Final Results
Dave Ramos 21
Jamey Betz 22
Scott Graf 39
Dave Branning 46
Harry Mote 46
Doug Wotring 59
Dom Bonanno 60
Tim Stone 67
Roger Baldwin 74
Jerry Franko 82
Mike Cavanaugh 91