2019 Annapolis Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2019 Annapolis Regatta

Postby scottgraf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

The Annapolis Regatta is coming up August 24/25 and details are available on the AMYA site and soon on our club website for the NOR.
Online registration at: REGISTRATION is CLOSED

Skipper list https://www.jotform.com/grid/91293769294068

An excerpt from the NOR:

Entry: Entries may be submitted online at this URL: Click Here if the hot link doesn’t work for you, copy and paste this URL in your browser REGISTRATION is CLOSED. Or, just mail the Entry Form below, with the entry fee ($40). Entry fee includes skipper lunch, drinks during day.
Racing Format More than 16 entries may prompt a CESS pool or HMS format at Race Director discretion, otherwise all boats will start together. Course will be set based on the prevailing conditions and announced prior to the start of each race.

Location: Warrington Farm Pond, Warrington Farm Lane, Queenstown, MD, 21658

Schedule of Events:
Saturday, August 24, 2019
Registration/Setup ~ 8:30 – 9:15 am
Skippers Meeting ~ 9:15 am
Racing begins following meeting
Lunch break ~ 12:30 pm
Racing ~ 1:15 pm to 4:00 pm
Group Dinner (not incl) @ local haunt ~ 6:00 pm til ??
Sunday, August 25, 2019
Registration/Setup ~ 8:30 – 9:15 am
Skippers Meeting ~ 9:15 am
Racing begins following meeting
Lunch break ~ 12:00 pm
Racing ~ 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm

Awards presentation to follow as soon as final scores are tabulated.

Scoring: The event will be scored under the Low Point Scoring System as described in the Racing Rules of Sailing Appendix A. For each 8 races sailed, a boat’s worst score, excluding penalty points, will be deducted.

Awards: Awards will be presented based on the number of skippers registered by Aug 10th

Lodging: There are also numerous hotels in the area where sailors can stay. There is a Sleep Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western and Hilton Garden Inn within 10 minutes of the pond. Additionally there are options on the west side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which may be less expensive than those on Kent Island.

Last edited by scottgraf on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Re: 2019 Annapolis Regatta

Postby fligon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:27 pm

:?: Will a NOR be released with information i.e. lodging, location etc. be released soon? I want to complete my travel arrangements.
fligon

Postby scottgraf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:51 am

Hey folks,

We have what is shaping up to be a fantastic regatta. We have room on the pond for a lot more boats however. Let's get some more folks on the roster.

Thank you to all who have already entered and I look forward to seeing everyone.

FYI, I have two more guest rooms ready for occupation if hotel life is a deterrent (Skip has the first of three, next come next served)
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby scottgraf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:58 am

We're up to 15 boys with toys.

Remember this is the best preparatory regatta for Nationals!! Get out here, air out the sails and identify any boat issues.

I'll keep the registration open until Monday morning.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby scottgraf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:33 pm

I have room for one more sailor at my house (two miles west of the Bay Bridge). Let me know if you would like to join us.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby kahle67 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Looking forward to a fun weekend and sailing with a very competitive fleet. DT and I are staying at the Best Western Kent Narrows Inn.
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby scottgraf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 am

Early forecast in Queenstown, MD for Saturday and Sunday looks pretty darn good for August.

Now this could all change 'cuz you know what they say about weather in Maryland....If you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes...

Saturday: Sunny 67 - 80 degrees; Precipitation: <5%; Breeze: NE all day, 15 - 18 mph (8am) steadily dropping to 10 - 12 mph (4pm)

Sunday: 69 - 78 degrees; Precip: 0%; Breeze: NE all day 13 - 16 mph
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby scottgraf » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Day one of the 11th Annual Annapolis Regatta is in the books. All I can say is WOW!

Today was picture perfect, chamber of commerce weather. Sunny, breezy (8-15 all day) out of the NE which is absolutely fabulous for our venue. We had all 15 participants in attendance and a special shout out to Frank Ligon and Rhonda from Florida, Reichard Kahle from Charleston and Roger Baldwin from Park City, Utah. We were able to get 16 races in today with the pristine weather. I would like to thank Nick Mortgu, Roni Brandt-Simpkins and our resident photographer Judy Bonnano for their assistance today.

The top ten line after today's end with two throwouts is as follows:

Danny Thomas -- 32
David Ramos -- 34
Mark Reinhart -- 36
Reichard Kahle -- 46
Jamie Betz -- 50
David Branning -- 86
Rob Hill -- 89
Leonard Cass -- 118
Roger Baldwin -- 130
Dominic Bonnano - 132
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby scottgraf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

The weather for day 2 of the 11th Annual Annapolis Regatta was the absolute best. Whomever dropped the coupon for that I'm indebted. As RD, I really enjoyed working with the diverse group of sailors from Florida, Massachusetts, South Carolina and of course our local vagabonds. I have to give a shout out to our support folks, Nick Mortgu, scorer Roni Brandt-Simpkins, photographer Judy Bonnano, Ernest Freeland and my spouse Kathleen.

Today conditions were 8 - 15 out of the NE, the perfect wind direction for our pond. The race committee decided to use a gate at the leeward end which provided additional leverage options and multiple lead changes all weekend. Most of the players stayed with heavy "A" rigs even with a steadily building breeze throughout the day with surprisingly minimal carnage, only one boat was disabled permanently.

With Saturday's 16 races plus today's 11 we completed 27 races in total and race committee only had to make minor course adjustments. Five skippers earned first place finishes and the weekend was owned by Danny Thomas earning over 50% of the first places and 8 of 11 victories today. We all had a great time and hope to see more friends next year. This year's pictures can be enjoyed by checking out http://www.judybonanno.smugmug.com, pictures are fully downloadable, no charge.

The final tallies are posted below.
Danny Thomas - 42
Dave Ramos - 60
Reichard Kahle - 74
Mark Reinhart - 79.4
Jaime Betz - 90
Robert Hill - 148
David Branning - 160
Leonard Cass - 192
Dominic Bonnano - 211
Roger Baldwin - 217
Martin Besant - 259
Frank Ligon - 268
Scott Todd - 271
Michael Denest - 334
Skip Hall - 335
Last edited by scottgraf on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby daramos » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Such a great weekend of sailing at the farm pond. Scott and his host of helpers really put on a great regatta and everyone really seemed to have a blast. Jamie Betz had the top left side left shift named after him Sunday afternoon after his full shift coupon book dropped out of his pocket and mother’s nature cashed them all in for two races in a row but only for him. Lol. So many races showed mult lead changes all weekend and one shift could drop you two places in the blink of an eye but DT really come out swinging on Sunday and the rest of us just could not real him in. Congratulations Danny fantastic job.
We had out of town skippers from Florida, South Carolina and Massachusetts take the time and effort to join us. Thanks guys I hope we did not disappoint you and we will see you back again next year. What a blast.
See many of you in Stowe in a few weeks.
Take care
Dave
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 am

Danny also won the Biggest Fish Award....there is a small Perch in the picture to prove it.
DT Fish.JPG
DT Fish.JPG (32.09 KiB) Viewed 15931 times
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby kahle67 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks to all for the fun weekend, which was well worth the 10 hour drive from Charleston, and looking forward to hopefully doing it again next year. Good luck to everyone heading up to Stowe for the Nationals!
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby fligon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am

My wife and I had a great time and enjoyed the regatta. Well worth the trip from Florida. All the skippers were gentlemen and the emphasis was on having fun as well as improving the sailing skills of the newer skippers. I'm going to make an effort to come back next year!
fligon

Postby DT1405 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:04 pm

What a great time sailing with the guys last weekend. Thanks to go out to Scot G, Kathleen G, Roni, Nick, Skip, and Judy Bonanno for making this years version of the annual Annapolis regatta a just what the Dr ordered good time for ole DT and the whole fleet. A very heart felt personal thanks go out to Capt. Scott "Dogg" Todd, Dave Branning and Ellaine, as well as well my as my roomie and fellow road warrior Reichard Kahle for helping me keep my head up and encouraging me to get out and sail after a very tough week leading up to the regatta. Really appreciate it. The sailing/racing was a blast for sure as mother nature provided us with perfect chamber of commerce type weather for great courses set by Scott but the circle of chairs that materialized after Saturdays racing, filled with most of sailors and regatta staff enjoying some Dave Brawner Tred Avon sunsets, Dark n Stormy's and beers for some as we sat for almost 2 hrs telling stories, laughing about times past and present was a hoot. Just a great example of the spirit of fun and good times on and off the water. Great sailing was on display by all. Look forward to next time everyone. Cheers, Danny
Daniel E Thomas
DT1405

Return to Regatta Stuff