Champions Regatta 2019

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Champions Regatta 2019

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:03 pm

CR Logo 2019 small.jpg
CR Logo 2019 small.jpg (86.84 KiB) Viewed 16537 times

Ahoy Gang,

It is time to start planning for the 2019 Champions Regatta where we award the Sir Francis of Graham Trophy. In case you have forgotten who Sir Francis of Graham is, he is the man who selflessly held the EC12 Class together for around 40 years.

Angel.jpg
Angel.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 16537 times

Frank hated that we named the trophy after him while he was still alive. But how else could we show him how much he meant to all of us and the Class.

March 9-10, 2019 is the date for the regatta and it will be sailed at it’s forever location at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC.

We will be sending out the NOR and Online Entry very soon. Dave Branning will be the RD for this year’s event and he is bringing a team to keep score and help run the regatta. There is usually a gathering for dinner on Friday night. Most skippers arrive on Friday and practice sail before meeting up later that evening. A Saturday dinner will also be planned and more info on that location will follow.

This venue has Cottages for up to 8 people to stay in. They sell out very quickly. You should try to book one now. https://www.ccprc.com/1435/The-Cottages this link will take you to the site.

Here is the list of Top Ten skippers from each group. The Top Five plus the defending champion are invited to compete. If one or more of the top five cannot attend, the next skippers in line are invited. For some of you below the top five, you have already made the cut. See below.

Colonial Cup
1. Dave Ramos (defending Champion) YES
2. Scott Graf YES
3. Jamey Betz YES
4. Dave Branning (RD, will not be sailing)
5. David Brawner NO
6. Domenick Bonanno YES
7. Don Barker YES

8. Alex Ramos NO
9. Mark Rinehart NO
10. Harry Mote NO

Florida Cup
1. Alan Perkins YES
2. Joe Walter YES
3. Jon Luscomb YES
4. Gerhard Kelter YES
5. Chuck Millican (qualified in New England)
6. Jim Kaighin NO
7. Jack Ward NO
8. Earnan Scavella NO
9. George Balaschak NO
10. John Goldsworthy NO

Dixie Cup
1. Alan Perkins (qualified in Florida)
2. Joe Walter (qualified in Florida)
3. David Linville YES
4. Reichard Kahle YES
5. Danny Thomas YES
6. Scott Vernon YES
7. Liz Perkins YES
8. Gerry Cobley
9. Steve Helander
10. Tom Phillips

New England Cup
1. Don Ouimette NO
2. Rob Hill NO
3. Boots Boutilier NO
4. Chuck Millican YES
5. Jim Goddard NO
6. Brian Kerrigan NO
7. David Brawner (qualified in Colonial)
8. Eddie Wolfe NO
9. Dave Branning (RD, will not be sailing)
10. Bob Shluger NO

If your name is in RED, you are first to be invited. As we start to hear back from everyone, we will update the list.

Start making your plans and look for more emails as well as postings on the Discussion site.

See you all at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: Champions Regatta 2019

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am

Keep coming back to this post. I will be updating it as I get responses. The list of invites has already changed. Be sure to check for your name and see if you are in red now.

The NOR and Entry form will be posted soon.

And don't forget about reserving a cabin.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:44 am

I just called the park and book my cabin. They have 8 more available as of right now. They sell out very fast, so don't wait. See the link above.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:15 am

Well, Boots and Jim Goddard thought long and hard about making the very long trip from the Great White North, but the timing was just not right for them this year. We will miss you two. Stay warm up there.

The list for the New England group has changed quite a bit now because of this. Please look for your names now and let us know if you can come play with us.

See you at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby kahle67 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Before I say yes I need to check my schedule to see if I will be able to travel that far
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 am

The Notice of Race and Online Entry is ready.

http://www.floridaec12.com/CC/Champions-NOR-SI.pdf

https://form.jotform.com/90083650456962

The sooner you get your entry to Dave Branning, the better he can plan for a great regatta.

Be sure to select your shirt size otherwise the default is for a SMALL shirt.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm

Looks like everyone has said they are or are not coming at this point. Except for Jon Luscomb who is waiting on some personal news before he can make a commitment.

Dave Branning and I made a few invitations to skippers who would have qualified if not for their schedule conflicts. Unfortunately all of them had to decline because of other commitments. We do plan to extend invitations each year so that we can fill the 21 boat maximum fleet for the Champions Regatta. Right now we are at just 15 boats and if Jon can make it, that will make 16. That is still a nice turnout, but we do hope that more of the top skippers in the country can make it each year.

Now is the time for those of you who said you are coming to get your entries in so Dave can start planning and we can get shirts ordered.

See you at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 am

Ok Guys and Gals: Here's the top notch fleet for Champions Regatta March 9-10 in Charleston. Thanks to Joe Walter for setting the table for this one and I look forward to RD duties.
Skipper Area
Dave Ramos Colonial
Scott Graf Colonial
Jamey Betz Colonial
Domenick Bonanno Colonial
Don Barker Colonial
Alan Perkins Florida
Joe Walter Florida
Jon Luscomb Florida
Gerhard Kelter Florida
David Linville Dixie
Reichard Kahle Dixie
Danny Thomas Dixie
Scott Vernon Dixie
Liz Perkins Dixie
Chuck Millican New England
Last edited by Dave_Branning on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

Apologies to Liz Perkins when I said "guys." We welcome Ms Perkins to the fleet. She earned it.
AWAITING MORE REGISTRATIONS, PLEASE.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby hedderick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:28 pm

This is a compliment. I think of her as one of the “guys”.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:45 am

Ok, the deadline for entries has come and we have the final list of skippers. We are ordering shirts now and the trophies are in the works. I hope everyone has made their plans for cabins or other places to stay.

In an attempt to fill up the 21 boat fleet limit, we sent out additional invitations to top skippers all around the country. Only one did not have a conflict with the dates of the regatta and we are happy that Chuck Luscomb has joined the entry list.

The final list of skippers are:
Dave Ramos Colonial
Scott Graf Colonial
Jamey Betz Colonial
Domenick Bonanno Colonial
Don Barker Colonial
Alan Perkins Florida
Joe Walter Florida
Jon Luscomb Florida
Gerhard Kelter Florida
David Linville Dixie
Reichard Kahle Dixie
Danny Thomas Dixie
Scott Vernon Dixie
Liz Perkins Dixie
Chuck Millican New England
Chuck Luscomb Bew England

Dave Branning and I are looking forward to seeing you all in Charleston.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Champions Regatta, Day One at the James Island County Park was a welcome weather day for all those Mid-Atlantic and New England skippers who have been freezing for weeks. We had a light air day with confounding shifts. Scores were up and down for everyone but Alan Perkins, who had a seventh as his worst race, handily controlled the day at the top spot. Others in the top five had frustrating two to three double figure races including defending champion, Dave Ramos. The good news is that places two through six are up for grabs on Sunday where winds are predicted to freshen to over 10 with a possible shower. Thanks to Izzy Kelter for setting the donuts, coffee and lunch tables and to Judy Bonanno who took dozens of pictures and helped Skip Hall with the scoring. Results from Saturday are below with no throw out score calculated

Skipper Area Points Place
Alan Perkins Florida 37 1
Jon Luscomb Florida 62 2
Ricky Gerry Dixie 63 3
Dave Ramos Colonial 67 4
Reichard Kahle Dixie 67 5
Joe Walter Florida 71 6
Danny Thomas Dixie 84 7
Jamey Betz Colonial 94 8
Gerhard Kelter Florida 102 9
Chuck Luscomb New England 103 10
Chuck Millican New England 106 11
Scott Graf Colonial 116 12
David Linville Dixie 127 13
Don Barker Colonial 136 14
Liz Perkins Dixie 140 15
Dom Bonanno Colonial 156 16
Scott Vernon Dixie 160 17
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Day Two for the Champions Regatta was a total change from Saturday. We welcomed a forecasted fresh breeze that filled the course inspiring some skippers to opt for “heavy A” as the sail choice. No white caps but some great shifty puffs that brought some action packed tacking duels all day. This was a tight fleet with the best competition the class has to offer.
The day and the Championship Win belonged to Danny Thomas, his sixth. Down by 47 points (w/o throwouts) to Alan Perkins after eleven races on Saturday, he actually said to me at dinner on Saturday night, that he felt off the pace and rusty this early in the season. I guess the the Rustoleum Special Coke cocktail was the ticket. We sailed eight quick two lap races on Sunday and Danny reeled off two firsts and three seconds to seal the deal while Dave Ramos pressed the issue with two firsts, two seconds and a third to finish second to Danny for the regatta. Alan Perkins had a tough day. After ending Saturday with three straight firsts, his line score Sunday produced only two top five finishes to take the podium for third over his son-in-law Ricky Gerry. Ricky was very consistent all weekend and it was terrific he was back in the EC12 fleet again. Special mention should go to Chuck Millican, who came from 11th place on Saturday to reel off three firsts and four other top five races today to grab fifth place on a tie breaker over Reichard Kahle.
Thanks to Joe Walter for filling his truck with all the necessities for the regatta: rib, motor, buoys, oars, coolers, tables, sodas, water and his EC12. He was totally supportive to make this event successful Thanks to Richard Kahle for hosting our gang in Charleston and specially to a great RC team in Skip Hall and Judy Bonanno who handled the scoring. You can now enjoy Judy’s pictures on our EC12 Facebook page as well as the post below.
This was a star-studded fleet that handled the tight competition like professionals. It was a thrill to be your PRO and observe the great racing all weekend. Congratulations to all who came to Charleston for the 2019 Champions Regatta and I look forward you hotshots kicking my butt in 2019.
See you at the Liberty Bell Regatta March 30th.

Skipper Area Points
1. Danny Thomas Dixie 78
2. Dave Ramos Colonial 84
3. Alan Perkins Florida 85.2
4. Ricky Gerry Dixie 86
5. Chuck Millican New England 99 tiebreaker
6. Reichard Kahle Dixie 99
7. Joe Walter Florida 106
8. Jon Luscomb Florida 110
9. Chuck Luscomb New England 120
10. Jamey Betz Colonial 129
11. Scott Graf Colonial 170
12. Gerhard Kelter Florida 175
13. David Linville Dixie 179
14. Don Barker Colonial 195
15. Liz Perkins Dixie 212
16. Scott Vernon Dixie 217
17. Domenick Bonanno Colonial 223
Last edited by Dave_Branning on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am

As Promised:
The Judy Bonanno Photos from The 2019 Champions Regatta March 9-10

There are two sets in this link below. Thanks to Judy for all your great pictures and support all weekend for Skip and me. You are a great team-mate.

https://judybonanno.smugmug.com/Sailing/Champions-EC-12-Regatta-
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Return to Regatta Stuff