2019 PBG Valentines Day Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2019 PBG Valentines Day Regatta

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 am

Come one Come all to the Palm Beach Gardens Model Yacht Squadron's 2019 Valentines Day Regatta on February 9th and 10th. Trophies of unparalleled taste and distinction will given to the first 5 places.

This regatta is known for the outstanding venue, FOOD and the Friday Night Regatta Kickoff gathering. This year our club's Treasurer Chester Brewer has again graciously agreed to again host the kickoff at his gorgeous home on the North Palm Beach Country Club. Last year Chester smoked two turkeys. Many other finger foods crowded the tables. Sweetish Meat balls...BYOB! Rumor has it that live music may also be included again this year. Last year a mandolin sat in and jammed!

Jon Luscomb will be RD this year, so plan on getting some sailing in.

Saturday's Lunch includes Jon's now famous "No Bull" Chili, hot pizza, hot dogs, and fresh baked treats by our club's lovely ladies. If you feel bad about your racing results, the food, the friendships and social activities will fix that. Last year after the Kickoff Doc and Kelly Greer led an expedition to the beach to watch the full moon rise over the ocean.

Saturday Night's dinner is planned for Duffy's. Our own room, Happy hour all the time and separate checks! MMMMM! RIBS! Duffy's has great food and is very reasonably priced.

I am looking forward to seeing you all come!

Here is the link to the NOR: https://www.pbgmys94.com/valentines-ec1 ... -nor.html#
Last edited by bigfoot55 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sticky
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Re: 2019 PBG Valentines Day Regatta

Postby Jon Luscomb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:20 am

Entries so Far as of 1/25/19: Get your entries in soon!

1. E. Scavella
2. J. Luscomb
3. C. Obara
4. J. Santoro
5. B. Newman
6. C. Milican
7. G. Balaschack
8. F. Ligon
9. F. Vella
10 T. McMullen
11. R. Reinke
12. J. Walter
13. D. Pearce
14. L. Perkins
15. A. Perkins
16. C. Brewer
Last edited by Jon Luscomb on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm Coming! Sorry for the delay in my entry.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby georgeb2200 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 am

The published cut off date has passed. The online registration form has a new wrinkle, it wont let you register that way because the cut off date passed.
But we would still love to have you sail with us. So contact me, Jon or Doc and come sail with us on Feb 9 & 10. We may make you wear a red shirt though.
George Balaschak
georgeb@tlccar.com
georgeb2200

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Will there be a Friday night gathering this year? Always a great event at PBG.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby georgeb2200 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:15 am

Yes the traditional pre-Regatta party at Chesters house is on for Friday night. I have sent an email to all the registered skippers with the details. See you there.
georgeb2200

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 am

Another great regatta hosted by a great club in great weather. Too bad the wind kind of came from a bad direction. Still the racing was challenging and Doc Greer set up good courses. Chester Brewer's Friday night party was so much fun with Live music from Rich with help from Jon Luscomb. Just an all around great time. Only wish I could have sailed better.

Hats off to Alan Perkins. He was on fire and he has the bandages on his fingers to prove it. Jon Luscomb, Earnen Scavella, Chuck Millican and Bill Newman rounded out the top five in that order, but you could cut all their scores in half and it still wouldn't be close to Alan. I think he had 12 firsts, 5 seconds and threw out 2 thirds.

Thank you Doc and Kelli Greer and all the crew at PBG. Always the best time at Lake Catherine.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Valentines Regatta 9 & 10 February 2019

Palm Beach Gardens was pleased to host the Valentines Regatta 9 & 10 February.
The pre-regatta party at Chet & Libby's place Friday was AWESOME! The food was never ending with a whole ham, whole turkey, pulled pork, and salads of every sort. Deserts: well hell yes! A crowd favorite was Joanies whiskey cake (VO I think she said). Then was the live entertainment by Rich Mojka, a proffessional local who persuaded many in the crowd to come to the mike and show their talent.
Saturday dawned partly cloudy and a "frigid"69' with 6-8 knot NNE breeze.A good direction for our lake.
The ladies set up a healthy fruit and unhealthy sweet buffet (that was very popular) to accompany our coffee.
We started sailing as one fleet at 0930 with long windward/leeward races lasting about 15-20 minutes each;3 races, then a 10-15 minute break. The wind, now 8-10 NNE was often favorable, but shifts occur and only Alan Perkins had it always dialed in with 9 aces, Jon Luscomb with 2 ,and Joe Walter with 1.
We secured sailing at 1530 after 12 races, feeling pretty worn-out and ready for a different venue: Duffys upstairs; our private room. A request from the EC-12 Florida Class Secretary, George Balachak, to Alan Perkins on how he explained his remarkable success was answered succinctly: "Never quit".
That was borne out on day 2 when Alan was dealt some bad hands and managed to get top 3 finishes with back of fleet starts.
Sunday, Anemoi (Greek wind gods-knew you wouldn't look it up), were not so kind. We got pure East at much less than the predicted 15-18 knts. The lake felt 6-10.We set courses like Americas Cup: reach and run then beat. We set "W" courses (unpopular with many) and tried whatever we could do to put enough windward work in to permit passing by strategy in play. Cream rises. Results as posted.
I want to thank all the helpers, especially John Biles as scorekeeper, Carl Ring on rescue & Ann/Ed & Kelli for food.
Was a great regatta and hope to see you'll at our next regatta.
Respectfully submitted,
R.C."Doc"Greer -RD

1. Alan Perkins-20
2. Jon Luscomb-30
3. Earnan Scavella-57
4. Chuck Millican-72
5. Bill Newman-95
6. George Balaschak-100
7. Joe Walter-101
8. Calvin Obara-131
9. Dick Reinke-138
10. Terry McMullen-139