5 minute hold

Developement of a proper standard.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

5 minute hold

Postby rs vernon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Lets say the sailing instructions say that the next race will start within 5 minutes when someone calls for a 5 minute hold.

My inclination might be to take advantage of someone else's 5 minute hold to do something that might take almost the whole 5 minutes. If that person says he/she is ready to go after one or two minutes and the countdown starts, I am screwed. That hardly seems fair. Can I request that the whole 5 minutes be counted off before the next race?

I would be doing something that is not allowed under the limits put on requesting a 5 minute hold, but it seems to me that a 5 minute hold should be a 5 minute hold if anyone is working on their boat during the hold. It is sort of a crap shoot. Maybe the thing to do is to ask the requestor if he minds not saying that he is ready until the 5 minutes is up. Help your buddy and all that.

Scott
rs vernon

Re: 5 minute hold

Postby greerdr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 pm

You bring up a very valid point.
And you have sailed enough National,Regional and local events to know that YOUR 5 min starts when you ask for it.
We are a collegial group that I think can accomadate the occasional "add on" 5 min to a start.
More than 2 gets cumbersome.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby greerdr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Sorry all,
On rereading the post I get another vibe.
If I can get my boat back to the water in less than the 5 Min allowed; let's start.
If another skipper needs time:call for it-1 a day.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 am

The problem is that when 5-min holds are allowed, they are usually only one per skipper for the whole regatta and only one per race. So if Skipper A asks for a hold it is his hold, not anyone else. If he only needed one minute, then most people are going to be happy it is over and get back to racing. If Skipper B decides to do some work while the hold is on and then suddenly finds out the hold lasted only one minute, he can beg for the full 5 minutes, but that does not mean the RD must give it to him. It would depend on the situation. The RD will have to make the choice to continue the 5 minutes or not. But he should NOT allow for another 5 minutes.

Now, if the issue is two or more boats need to make repairs due to a tangle up or something, then Redress rules apply and more time can be given.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Class Sailing Instructions-Guide Lines