Nationals - Traveling and Sailing

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: Nationals - Traveling and Sailing

Postby RMDJBD » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:54 am

To All

I guess it is time for me to chime in on this subject, and for anyone who knows me I do not sugar coat things. Since we are at hotel with the venue right out side and the boat storage room the races should start at 0800-0830, no races start after 1630.

No 5 minute holds except for the skippers on the bubble and collisions where redress will be awarded for the damaged ROW boat.

Protest, the 3-3-3 minute sequence in effect, after the last boat in that race finishes protest starts, each skipper gets 3 min to explain, that is 6 min so far, protest committee has 3 min for the verdict, if the last boat is a protesting skipper then he will get 3 min to get to the protest.

Now here comes the touchy subject, the National Seeding List (NSL). I think back in 2011 this system was setup, it was set up to stop the two seeding races and then averaging, keep one and throughing the other out, that system on average took three hours plus. I am baffled at why we are still trying to reinvent the wheel, the system is in place why not use it??? I can tell you why, some of the "A" fleet skippers have not been sailing and their NSL will have them in either "B or C" fleet depending on how many fleets their are, so they need the seeding races to get to their proper fleet, sorry about your luck, get out and race and you will not have this problem.

Let's cut the Bull/S, cut the fleets using the NSL and let them sail out to the fleet they think they need to be in. March this year I had only one race in the NSL and I started in "B" fleet (two fleet P/R) and finished in 6th place in "A".

The class set this system up so either use it or delete it, it will make Joe Walter job a lot easier if we delete the system.

Now in my many years (50) that I was sailing one design ( Y-Flyers,Tornados, Windmills, Thistles, E-Scows, A-Scows, 505's, and Stars ) the class authority never put a limit on entry's, and yes we had a modified P/R in those days.

And the last point, the RC needs to be a Drill Sargent and keep the system moving. Anybody that has sailed a regatta that I have been RC, there is no time wasted, THE CLOCK IS ON.

We are at the NAT's to sail not party!!!!!!!!

Now that it is morning (4:53) I am going to go and put some sugar on some Wheaties and Banana's and have breakfast.
Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby greerdr » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:46 pm

We seem to be using "NCR" and "Nationals" interchangeably.
Isn't NCR the National Champions Regatta held in Charlestown,S.C. an invitational regatta to top 5 from each region ?
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Dave_Branning » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Doc: Champions Regatta is Champions Regatta....no "national" in title I believe. The NCR is the "Nationals" and used interchangeably. My 2cents.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

For those who may not be aware:
The Champions Regatta Series
http://ec12.org/Regattas/CRS/CRS.htm
An unofficial invitational class activity in Regions 1, 2, 3 and 7 only/.

National Championship Regatta(NCR)- The AMYA sanctioned annual class championship.
(Nationals)
AMYA by laws.
Section 8: Class Championship and Other Regattas
8.1 Any sanctioned club desiring to conduct a National or Regional Championship regatta shall petition the appropriate Class Secretary or class owners association for such authorization. Such events will, as far a possible, be rotated geographically. The approved sponsoring club shall provide reasonable notice of the events to the membership through the Association Publication. These events shall be conducted according to the rules and regulations provided. The results of the events shall be promptly reported to the Class Secretary or contact for the class owners association and to the editor of the Association Publication. (1995)
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby kahle67 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 pm

BTW Bob, It has been quite a while since I have been able to spend the time on the water to have even the slightest expectation of pulling off another National Championship win. Lastg time I sailed was the CR back in March. Therefore, I DO attend the NCR to "party" and not so much to sail.

But I am very interested in this discussion so carry on guys, nothing to see here.
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby dplin2001 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm with Reichard :D My room is booked, can't wait for some great sailing and partying.
Dave
dplin2001

Postby abacojim » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:15 am

Great discussion. But seems like people complain when there are not enough boats, and now also complaining with the possibility of too many boats. I am not an early riser, so I prefer a later start in the morning, but I also think we stop racing to early in the afternoon.

If it turns into a 3 fleet regatta, it would Gold, Silver and Bronze fleets.

Is it possible in P & R to have 2 races back to back, and have the top 4 move up based on the "average" of the top 2 races, or the best race of the last of the 2 races moves up?

Quality vs quantity?

Also think some combo of a minimum amount of cess pool races to set fleets. Then gold/silver/bronze with 2 races back to back would save time. But the cess pool races or seeding races need to count so those races and all that time is not wasted. Use the national seeding list and you can race your way out. No 5 minute hold if you sat out previous race.
Jim
Jim
abacojim

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:12 pm

2015 is in the books. Thanks for coming. Hope those attending had a good time and we missed those who did not.
Next 3 months might be a good time to add any new thoughts for consideration.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff