Region 3 Championship June 6- 7 2015

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Region 3 Championship June 6- 7 2015

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Triangle Cup Regatta Morrisville NC
Please register soon as it is a month away.

NOR
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jJ9i9FY0Oxal85ODRBSFh1VnM/view?pli=1
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: Region 3 Championship June 6- 7 2015

Postby gcobley » Mon May 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Should be a great regatta.
We have a Race Officer from big boat world as our RD, and the long range forecast* is for perfect winds from a great direction!

If you are interested in some match racing, I would be happy to set it up on the Friday afternoon. Just click that option on the online registration form.

Online region is at: http://form.jotformpro.com/form/43186543934966

This is the last chance for some of you skippers to get your 4 Dixie races in this year, so don't procrastinate.

See you all in Raleigh. Any Airport hotel will get you close to the lake...

*Long range = your guess is as good as mine - but that's what the prevailing winds are supposed to be :-)
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby gcobley » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am

It's decision time for the Triangle Cup!

We have 8 skippers so far, but for a Regional Championship I know there are a bunch of procrastinators out there who want to race with us.

Should be nice weather - the long range forecast is 5-10mph from the East, which is great for our lake.

Just Click here to get registered http://form.jotformpro.com/form/43186543934966

See you next week,
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun May 31, 2015 10:10 pm

There has got to be more skippers out there who can travel for a Regional Championship.

Gerry, if you can post the entry list, that might light a fire under some folks.

Come on people!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby gcobley » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Here are the skippers registered for the R3CR - Triangle Cup.
I'll give the rest of you guys until Thursday to get in on the fun! - http://form.jotformpro.com/form/43186543934966

Tom Rummage
Carl Olbrich
Steve Helander
Ron Small
Tom Evens
David Lyons
Skip Allen
Scott Vernon
Richard Ferguson
Chase Thomas
Mervin Jones
Gerry Cobley
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:53 am

Any results from yesterday? Looking forward to reading the final report later today. Hope the racing is close and the weather is perfect.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby rs vernon » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:37 pm

1. Gerry Cobley 60
2. Dave Lyons 82
3. Carl Olbrich 104
4. Tom Rummage 104
5. Scott Vernon 107
6. Steve Hellander 116
7. Chase Thomas 139
8. Mervin Jones 149
9. Rick Ferguson 188
10. Tom Evans 212
11. Skip Allen 215 12 out of 28 races
12. Ron Small 220

What fun. Great job by RD Tony, Gerry and his TMYC helpers. Good test of skills, from sailing to eyesight. Wind varied in strength from light to about 8 or more and direction from up the lake to down the lake, They laughed when Tom Rummage launched his boat with a B rig, but he showed us the way over and over again. Congrats to Gerry for a decisive and well deserved win. Happy to see our fairly new Atlanta skipper Dave do so well and of course it is always interesting - sometimes even enjoyable to race with Carl. Best quote of the weekend - something like - "After all that, you still hit the mark." Even after an explanation by Carl, I cannot remember the details, but Carl as always was Carl, and I have always loved racing with him.

I will take this down when Gerry posts.

Scott
rs vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Don't take it down Scott. It is a great little report. I look forward to the full report. I too have always enjoyed sailing with Carl, but it has been quite a while. Glad to see he is still sailing and sailing well at that. Dave Lyons is going to be one of the guys to beat in the very near future. I wish I could have made the trip up to sail with all of you. Glad to see the 12 boats on the list. This means all the points can be scored in the NSL. I sure did hope for a bigger turnout, but I bet you all had a blast with the single fleet.

Get some photos up as soon as you can.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby steve h » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:38 pm

In case anyone failed to hear me on Sunday....I absolutely HATE that yellow mark at the Southeast corner of the lake....as the morning wore on, it kept moving further out after I tacked toward it.... :mrgreen: (and, yes Carl, after all of that stuff, I still missed the mark LOLOL) I'm glad I wasnt the only one that kept missing it...

I learned a whole lot this weekend(most of it I already knew though....):
1. Gerry is a great benefit to the class, by sharing his knowledge to whoever may ask, and is the kind of competitor you want to meet on the water.
2. David Lyons has a fast boat and skillful hands.
3. Skip is still a great guy, even if he leaves without saying goodbye :mrgreen: Had you stayed, you might not have needed to take your boat home. I think at least one of us would have bought it. :mrgreen:
4. Tom Rummage can have a smug grin on his face by making the jump to a B rig in light air at the start of a heat, and watch as the wind would fill in about midway up the 1st leg on lap 1.
5. Scott and I gave examples of karma, and how quickly it can kick ya in the nether regions. Scott can also not pass up a deal on a hull
6. Rick F, Mervin, and Tom Evans are class acts, and their service to our country is greatly appreciated.
7. I can give away more points than I can ever hope to reclaim, and I can do it in record time. My descent in the standings was faster than most Hollywood actors after a bad movie.

Congrats to the Raleigh club for putting on a great event. As Skip said, they put on a top notch event. The military flyovers and wayward paddleboarder on the course just added that extra dash of flavor. If only she were half her age, and half her weight... :mrgreen:

Steve
#1988 and #1858...aka Frank's boat
steve h

Return to Regatta Stuff