St. Pete March Madness

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

St. Pete March Madness

Postby AMI-110 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Quick up date on St. Pete, which is scheduled for March 28-29. Currently we have 9 skippers, they are:

Jim Pardee
Brenda Pardee
Liz Perkins
Alan Perkins
Larry Brannan
Brian Engle
Robert Greer
Dick Reinke
Jonathan Luscomb

You may remember from last year, outside of the bad weather we had on Saturday, the sailing great. I have basically the same crew (my brothers) coming down to help, and with good weather, you will get your fill on sailing.

If we don't have 15 by March 15th, I will have to cancel the regatta. Based on the lack of hotel rooms and the expense of those that may be available, it appears that this is a BAD time to hold this regatta. Spring break is in full swing and the Formula One circuit visits St. Pete the same weekend of the regatta. That said, I am willing to RD the event, if we get 15, but will not in the future unless it is moved to a different date on the calendar.

Steve Pfeil
AMI-110

Re: St. Pete March Madness

Postby The OZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Come on guys and gals, let's get that number 15 entries. Where is Punta Gorda, Naples (sans Larry), and Jacksonville sailors? We know these schedules in the "season" can be tough on some of us, but that's they way it's been for me since 2005. Support all the other clubs plus my own. Need only 6 more to have a regatta. Did anyone ever think that in 2015 we could not even get 15 sailors, hey would be one fleet start. !!!

Dick Reinke, EC12-1936 :D :) :(
The OZ

Postby AMI-110 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 pm

The LaQuinta across the pond has three rooms, all king

727 299 9800
AMI-110

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 am

I have my room, just need to send in the entry form.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby AMI-110 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Updated Skippers List:

Jim Pardee
Brenda Pardee
Liz Perkins
Alan Perkins
Larry Brannan
Brian Engle
Robert Greer
Dick Reinke
Jonathan Luscomb
Robert Dudinsky
John Goldsworthy
Judy Clarke
AMI-110

Postby The OZ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

only 3 more to go, right Steve? Come on EC 12 sailors, even Bob D is going to sail, good to see that boat again. Dick Reinke EC12-1936 :D :D
The OZ

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:08 am

I sure hope we see a lot more skippers than this in St. Pete. Steve and Fred did a great job last year. Let's show up in numbers to make this another great event.
My entry is in the mail. Get yours in the mail too!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby AMI-110 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:02 am

The Regatta is On!

Attached is the latest skippers list. I will keep the registration open until Friday, March 27th. If you like to race, as those attending last years event will attest, we will race/sail. Right now the question is one or two fleets, I would like to make it one, depends on how many more skippers we get and wind direction over the weekend. See you in St. Pete.

Jim Pardee
Brenda Pardee
Liz Perkins
Alan Perkins
Larry Brannan
Brian Engle
Robert Greer
Dick Reinke
Jonathan Luscomb
Robert Dudinsky
John Goldsworthy
Judy Clarke
Joe Walter
John Santoro
Calvin Obara
Tom Phillips
John Steacy
AMI-110

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Just got home from Charleston and now setting my sights on St. Pete. I love the idea of a single fleet, but I sure hope more of you get your entries in. Steve has extended the entry deadline for us, so don't waste anymore time. Get your entries in now. See you all in St. Pete.

By the way, in case you did not read my Champions post, there is something magical that happens if your boat gets holed by Brenda. You win regattas...LOL

Love you Brenda, so proud of you in Charleston.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby AMI-110 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Latest Skippers List:

Jim Pardee
Brenda Pardee
Liz Perkins
Alan Perkins
Larry Brannan
Brian Engle
Robert Greer
Dick Reinke
Jonathan Luscomb
Robert Dudinsky
John Goldsworthy
Judy Clarke
Joe Walter
John Santoro
Calvin Obara
Tom Phillips
John Steacy
Frank Vella
AMI-110

Postby AMI-110 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 am

For those wondering, I just sent the list to get national ranking, if needed. My plan, wind direction dependent, is to sail one fleet. And yes, we will have a starting line long enough to accommodate a fleet of 17-18, wind dependent.

See you next week.
AMI-110

Postby greerdr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Just sold 2156 (Kelli refuses to sail her) to Gerd Peterson and after showing her stern to plenty of us today I expect a good showing from Gerd at St Pete.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby AMI-110 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 am

Updated Skippers list & weather report: both days NNW 16-21 mph, we will most likely split the fleet.

Jim Pardee
Brenda Pardee
Liz Perkins
Alan Perkins
Larry Brannan
Brian Engle
Robert Greer
Dick Reinke
Jonathan Luscomb
Robert Dudinsky
John Goldsworthy
Judy Clarke
Joe Walter
John Santoro
Calvin Obara
Tom Phillips
John Steacy
Frank Vella
Gerd Petersen
AMI-110

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:41 pm

So much fun to attend the Pfeil Pfamily Reunion. This was a terrific regatta and the clan handled everything wonderfully. This was not a local but a lot of effort from people who do not live in the area. Like the Pardee clan in the prior couple of years, not only did much of the race committee travel to the regatta from out of the area, but some flew from out of state, all stayed in the hotel. They put on a great show. The local contribution was Dee Dudinsky who handled local park access and lunches. Since this will be the last one they do, thanks to them for stepping up to allow us to have a little pfun in St Pete. They got the process down pat and should be considered for permanent race committee work if they want the job.
They handled the launching and retrieving task for almost every skipper, and saved us a lot of time for sailing as well as the usual regatta activity. Thanks all.
Hope at some time there will be an active 12 fleet in St Pete again. Happy that the Villages has suggested two a year at their venue to make up the loss.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:49 pm

I had a blast in St. Pete this weekend. The Pfeils did an amazing job running this event. Sorry to see St. Pete drop off the schedule for next year. I hope they can come back in the near future. It just takes one leader in the club to spark interest and promote. I am sure they will find that person soon.

Congratulations to Doc Greer on his win in a tie breaker over Jon Luscomb. I was in a tie with Doc before the final race and had I been able to keep him and Jon Luscomb behind me for the final race it would have been mine. Jon made a great move on me and Alan Perkins at the start of the final race. He forced us on the wrong side of the boat end of the line and I also had to do a turn for fouling. Jon took off to win the heat, but Doc Greer saved his regatta win by coming in second to tie with Jon and win by 3 bullets to 2 tiebreaker. I did managed to recover from last at the start to finish 4th in the heat and just 2 points back of Doc and Jon. Alan managed to move up to 4th place overall after being back as far as 8th place and Jon Santoro sailed very well to take home 5th place.

Great racing from the three ladies as well. All of them spent time in A-fleet and we nearly had all three in A-fleet at the same time. That would have been an exciting heat.

It could not have been any closer. Thanks again to all the Pfeils, Dee and the rest of the crew. And thank you to all the skippers for a really clean and QUIET regatta. We missed a few talented skippers who did not make it to the regatta. I sure hope we see them next month in St. Augustine. Get your entries in soon my friends. I will be your RD this time. See you at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff