GATOR REGATTA 2014

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

GATOR REGATTA 2014

Postby alanperkins » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 pm

This is the first of the new season and many of you missed out on racing in the Nationals this year in Chicago (incl me) so lets kick the season off with a bang. Enter early as we may have to consider restricting numbers, don't really want to run into A, B & C fleets.
This year entries are via PayPal to make it easy for you and save postage
Friday evening 5:30 onwards at the "Perkins" is organized by Liz and many of our lady members, the Chili is in the freezer already. Emailing LizFlorida@comcast.net letting us know if you are coming will help with catering.
Saturday racing around our new marks hopefully will be great plus we have all the tents, chairs, etc etc etc all arranged.
Saturday evening is at the Palmer Legends Country Club which is one of the best eating houses in The Villages. Make sure you complete the entry form and note if you are coming as we need to know numbers and don't want to let them down with missing people as last year. This will be followed by Ice Cream with Judy Clarke and Garry
Sunday racing up to 12:30 and Metal Art prizes supplied by Ricky Gerry

We also have various members who in previous years have taken in guest so another reason to enter early as maybe free :D (bottle of wine to host) accommodation available.

Alan Perkins
Commodore
The Villages Model Yacht Squadron AMYA #220
alanperkins

Re: GATOR REGATTA 2014

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

All right gang, time to get the new year underway for Florida, get your name on the entry list. Entry deadline less than a month away October 11

I missed the entry no. for dinner- make it a 1 for me please.

(And don't forget the R7 Championship in Punta Gorda. Certificates required.)
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby alanperkins » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:56 am

Here are the entries so far @ Oct 2
Luscomb
Ellis
Goldsworthy
Reinke
Balashak
Williams
Phillips
Merello
Thompson
Pardee
Elder
Brannan
Greer
Gray
alanperkins

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:06 am

Alan Perkins is up in Charleston tending to his new Grandbaby Madison. He asked if I would post this email from Dan Pearce about hotels at The Villages.

We have negotiated a discounted rate (from $129 to $90) at the Hampton Inn for the skippers in the Gator Regatta. When making your reservation ask for conformation code 87093692.
Rooms are in the name of MODEL SAILBOAT REGATTA, but you need the c.code #87093692.
The Hampton Inn is about one mile from Ashland Pond, 11727 NE 63rd Drive, The Villages 32162. Phone: 352-259-8246
We look forward to having you in The Villages and in our Ashland Pond.

Regards, Dan Pearce,
Village Squadron Hospitality Manager
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby alanperkins » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:09 am

Welcome to Bob Greer and Martin Gray to the list of entries
alanperkins

Postby alanperkins » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 am

Upto 20 boats sofar plus maybe Joe Walter and Tom Germer so it could be 22+ boats sailing P&R
Entries:-
Gray
Greer
Elder
Williams
Brenda Pardee
Hedderick
Reinke
Pearce
Rutherford
Luscomb
Ellis
Thompson
Merello
Goldsworthy
B Engle
Balaschak
Brannan
Ward
Witzel
Brown
maybe's
Walter
Germer

I'll take late entries now we are going P&R but need to know if you are coming Friday evening (Perkins) and/or Sat dinner at Palmer Legends CC
This is our first year with PayPal so if you think you entered and are not on the list or if you are going to enter late email me asap at alnliz@comcast.net
Thanks
Alan Perkins
alanperkins

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:02 pm

just got word from Tom that he can't make it. Looks like I will be driving down solo.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Just got home form The Villages. I took all the back roads to make the drive interesting, but about 30 minutes longer. Well done to everyone in the Villages. We finally found a way to beat Alan Perkins. Give him a heart attack right before the regatta. We are all very happy to hear that he is doing fine after his surgery and only missed the awards ceremony because his doctor was on the golf course and did not release him on time. Son-in-law, Ricky Gerry filled in as RD with only 3 hours total sleep in a week (Blame the Wholesome Miss Madison for keeping new daddy up). It was a joy to sail with the Villages folk and a lot of new faces. Happy to see the Peachtree City Georgia group make it down to sail with us, but we missed Dave Linville.

Mother Nature gave us a little wind but it was mostly out of the North which means a lot of reaching at the Villages. It was challenging though and the racing was fun. Hats off to all the skippers for a very clean regatta. Ken Morrison heard a total of ZERO protests. We saw some excellent sailing from a lot of skippers. Jeff Witzel from Jacksonville scored a bullet in A-fleet and it was an horizon job at that. I can go on about how much fun and gut wrenching the sailing was, but I will leave something for the full report. Hats off to Dick Hedderick who's worst race was a 6th place. He just ran away with the win. Take him out of the scores and the real battle was for 2nd place between Jon Luscomb and Jack Ward. Jon had the overall points won, but Jack had a better throwout to beat him by one point. There was a race at the end of the day (last or next to last, I can't remember) where Jack caught Jon at the line by mere inches. That one race made the difference. It was very exciting to watch.

The best prize handed out at the regatta was the trophy for Bubble Boy who sailed the most heats, A and B fleets combined. That went to George Balaschak. He took home the worlds smallest bottle of Champagne. BUBBLES, get it. too funny!

Great job again Villages and Alan Perkins is doing fine and I am sure will be kicking our butts again in Punta Gorda or maybe sooner in Sun City.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby hedderick » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:36 pm

Final Results Corrected...Jack Ward is now 4th.....

Position Name Points
1 Dick Hedderick 27 woo, woo !
2. John Luscomb 36
3 Bob Greer 40
4. Jack Ward 41
5 Joe Walter 56
6 Robert Brown 67
7 Brian Engle 68
8 Martin Gray 86
9 Jeffrey Witzel 115
10 Jim Pardee 115
11 Chuck Ellis 117
12 George Balaschak 125
13 Don Thompson 139
14 Dick Reinke 145
15 Bud Elder 147
16 Brenda Pardee 147
17 John Goldsworthy 150
18 Ken Williams 162
19 Jim Merello 180
20 Jim Rutherford 197
21 Dan Pearce 198
22 Judy Clark 204
23 Larry Brannan 225
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Jon Luscomb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:10 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Jon Luscomb on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Jon Luscomb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:10 am

Very happy that Grand Pa Alan is feeling better. Got to see Madison Gerry and Momma. Maddy is stunning and Momma looks great! Ricky still needs a haircut, (Ricky Fluffy?) but did an awsome job as RD. Thanks Ricky.

Heddrick sailed great. Nothing else to say on that one. The Village People really do a nice job on this Regatta. The baked goods were delicious. Best to all that sailed! See you in Naples.
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 pm

The regatta was run flawlessly.
Alan,we are all so happy you came thru so well-no one expected less.
The Villages crew did a spectacular job of hosting us and we do appreciate all the pre-planning and execution of a large regatta,especially in challenging conditions,i.e. light and shifty winds.
Thanks from a grateful fleet for a typically great regatta.
P.S.
Becky;YOU & MADISON LOOK GREAT !
Ricky needs a haircut.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Regatta Stuff