Palm Beach Gardens Valentines Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby The OZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:44 am

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="2"></font id="size2"><font color="black"></font id="black">

Again, Doc Greer's photos shows super pictures of a great regatta weekend. Thanks Bob.[:)][:)]
The OZ

Postby greerdr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Hooray!Finally.
Thanks to Bill Lowe and my wife Kelli for shooting such great photos.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Rick West » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Local organizers and Race Directors should go to the opener for a primer on how an event is done. PBG crosses the tees and dots the eyes. They are the cream in vat.

Doug Bowe walked the same pace and spoke in the same tone during one of the worse conditions presented for this regatta in my memory. My compliments.

While the club is responsible the turnout of the ladies, who manned the food and refreshment tables, was superb in their presentation and cheerfulness in doing so. Again my compliments.

It was a pleasant weekend and the visiting excellent. And the 3200 miles to attend was well worth it.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Bud Cassidy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Great pics as usual Bob.
Thanks,
Bud Cassidy
Bud Cassidy

Postby greerdr » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Bud,
I am honored that the pictures was the thing that got you on the discussion page for your 1st post.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby skip241 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:00 pm

You guys won't believe this. I fired DHL before they closed shop for losing several packages including my boat coming back from the Detroit Regionals a few years ago. This week FedEx delivered my rigs back home from West Palm Beach (Palm Beach Gardens) just like was planned. My boat......lost again! The last location......Florida on shipment pick-up day last Monday. If it is ever found, no more shipping. If I can't drive it there, I can't go. At least that is what the warden is telling me. And this time she means it. If anyone sees a black shipping case along the highway or a purple EC12 with a poor paint job floating across a pond somewhere, please let me know. Bob, don't count me out of the St. Pete regatta yet, it may show up or I'll build yet another one. Skip Allen, Atlanta [:(!]
skip241

Postby yachtie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Skip - down here I have designed and am currently in the process of getting built, a flight package for the 12. The case with boat, rigs, and accessorires will be a total weight of 20kg max. The empty case will be around 3.5-4kg. Earlier versions have been as heavy as 10kg which is just too much.

Having now flown 8 times with the boat both domestiucally and internationally this new case is MkIII and lots has been learn't on the design, weight and how to deal with baggage trolleys, airport check in staff, baggage handlers, boat protection and getting thru customs with ease.

As the build progresses over the next few weeks I will get some pictures up to show what we have done.

This new case keeps it inside baggage rules and most airlines will treat as sports equipment - check your regular airline T&C. Down here we get a free 10kg allowance for sports goods on most carriers which treat the boat the same as surfboards, golf clubs etc.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby RMDJBD » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 am

Skip

Dee says it must be the color, PURPLE. Your luck might change in another color.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby greerdr » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Any info on where it might be using tracking info?
I'll start looking at the last place you saw her Monday.
I can bring #47 to St.Pete.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby skip241 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 am

Bob, The latest from FedEx is that it is somewhere here in Atlanta. The warden keeps asking how they could lose a box that big. Apparently she doesn't realize how many packages, boxes and crates FedEx ships each day. Thanks for the offer to use #47 in St. Pete. It will be difficult to build another boat and prepare for our regatta all in one month. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again! Skip [:D]
skip241

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:30 am

One way they lose them is when they handle large pieces such as that, they are usually done by one employee... and the standard method is to put it in the bin and slide it in... usually wedged between two other heavy pieces. The label is stripped off the crate when shoved up against another one, and then the box is unloaded and goes to sort. When it gets there with no label.. they have to *guess* which plane/truck it came in on, and then go back and look through the pile of labels that have been stripped off of boxes and are left in the back of the planes/trucks. We would find them on our airplane almost every leg.

The unlabled crate goes to the "dead pile" and awaits a customer complaint, and then they take the dimensions and description to the pile and try to pick a winner. If you have your home information and a disclaimer such as "IF LOST PLEASE RETURN TO:" that can save your crate. Also, digital pictures of your crate emailed to the Rep can help a great deal as well... and bright colors and memorable markings (I painted "kill markings" on my for each time someone lost it, NWA, FedEx, UPS, Delta.. the classic being when I loaded it myself on my own airplane and they lost it and we were EMPTY. They weren't suppose to take it off the airplane... it had a huge sign DO NOT REMOVE from A/C on it... and the monkey did it anyway... he thought it meant do not remove the sign.

"When you have time to spare, travel by air"

Good Luck Skip,

LL

I know... you as the customer should not have to deal with such things... but.... atleast you can help reduce the chance of them losing it permanently/
Larry Ludwig

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 am

Larry I see your problem.

your : DO NOT REMOVE FROM A/C was interpreted as do not remove from Air Conditioning.....he likely took it from the plan and put it in the air conditioned building thinking it was perishable.....LOL

I have seen some high dollar cases that have Plexi placards on them....the lables are placed under the plexi and then the plexi is screwed or bolted down on top.
Doug Wotring

Postby greerdr » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Skip,
I say again: #47 is charged and ready to serve.
I bet Terry McMullen would even let the "Mermaid" # 840 have ONE last date with you;if you really treated her with respect.You know she loved you first.
I will bring her in my car so no harm could come to either vessel.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:52 pm

exactly...that is the way to do it Doug, and printed in several languages including pictoral that shows a bananna next to happy customer, that one usually gets them motivated. The crazy thing is the companies really do take it seriously. I have seen UPS fire people on the spot for throwing a box, they are incredibly strict.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 pm

AhHA! So UPS does throw boxes! Their rep always told me they never did and it was our packing that caused the contents to turn to dust.

I alway's knew they were not telling the truth!

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

PreviousNext

Return to Regatta Stuff