Offset mark versus jibe mark

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Offset mark versus jibe mark

Postby s vernon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:30 am

On a different subject, a wise and cheerful EC-12 racer emailed me something like it is the prerogative of the race committee to screw up and it is up to the racers to put up with it, but I still think it is worthwhile to ask for the best possible racing beforehand rather than wish that it would have been done differently afterwards.

One thing I believe is that a windward leeward course with offsets is the best course for EC-12s. Adding a jibe mark (especially one far offshore) takes away from the skill required and the possible changes in position (actual racing) of the boats during the leeward leg. There is generally not a lot of passing on broad reaches.

The purpose of the jibe mark is similar to the purpose of the offset mark. There is no need to use both.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:46 am

I agree totally. The use of wing marks has only added length to a course not otherwise availabe. I prefer more laps. Such a mark off shore is a negative to the majority of the sailors because of visibility and adds nothing to enhance racing.

The EC12 has perferred performance running straight downwind than off the wind. It requires more handling skills too that adds to racing and leads to race positioning for the leeward mark.

I second the motion.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby yachtie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Third the motion

Better to have a rectangle style course with clearance marks and more laps[:p] Hint hint hint to Uncle Jim for October [:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Winston » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:22 am

The simple windward/leeward course is preferable where possible, and not just for National or International events, but club events too. In the Naples club our venues are huge with permanent marks. We end up using a "wing" and offset mark almost every meet. A surplus of riches. Grr. But don't worry, I'm sure this won't happen at the Regional.

Winston
Winston

Return to Regatta Stuff