Low Point Series

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Low Point Series

Postby s vernon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 am

I have wanted to post this for a couple of years. It seems like it is always felt like the wrong time to post it. Now is probably a very bad time to post it. I doubt if it will come to pass for Dixie Cup. I am prompted by one of the changes proposed for the Florida Series.

The Dixie Cup should be a low series point series. It is better to try to promote attendance at the small regattas than to reward the winners of the big regattas. My feelings anyway.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

the two methods have been argued before.

in the end the numbers are very very close as far as finishing positions

high point gives credit for a better skipper beating a larger number of skippers

low point gives the last place skipper in a 10 boat regatta the same score as the 10th place boat in a 30 boat regatta ( well not really but you get the point)
Doug Wotring

Postby greerdr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:18 am

Let us see how the largest fleet of EC-12 sailors feel.this vote should make this clear.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby s vernon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:11 am

Bob,

Ummmm... Really? Make what clear? How the whole world feels about this issue?

Scott
s vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am

Just so everyone knows, the Florida EC-12 Association is voting now on two issues. The first is whether to keep or drop the bonus points awarded to the top 5 skippers. We reviewed the results of this year and last and found that the standings did not change for the top 15 to 20 skippers, the scores would just be one or two points closer. The other issue is whether or not to go to the low point system. If this vote wins out, the first issue is moot.

We (the advisory board) also looked at several scoring systems including a modified high point system that set a fixed high score for all the regattas regardless of number of boats. In the end we decided that the vote would be restricted to just a choice between high and low. With the low point system we would also have to give Did Not Compete "DNC" points to skippers who miss regattas so that the scores in the standings reflect who is really in the lead. These DNC points can be discarded after a skipper has sailed the required 4 regattas towards the Championship. Points a skipper earns while competing are always counted first before DNC points. This is so a skipper does not discard a last place finish in a 30 boat regatta but keeps his DNC points from a 20 boat regatta.

The issue of how to break ties has also been discussed and will be done by giving more weight to the bigger regattas. A skipper who wins a 30 boat regatta will win the tie over a skipper who wins a 20 boat regatta.

Also of major concern to the Florida group is the Two-Fleet system we currently use. The bonus points were also awarded to the top B-fleet skippers to help them earn more points so as to move up in the next regatta. We found that this was working too slowly so last season we added to our rules that the first three skipper in B-fleet got an automatic trip to A-fleet for the next regatta. This turned out to be much more effective than the bonus points. We also found out that the bonus points for B-fleet skippers did not effect the fleet makeup because the top three skippers from B were getting the spots. So far not one skipper got into A-fleet because of bonus points helping their score. This of course was only the result for this past season and had a lot to do with who entered a regatta. Time will tell if more changes are needed.

This is a work in progress. But for the past three years now, the progress has been record turnouts for our regattas, so something is working right.

I will not discuss the vote right now. But I will post the results when the time comes.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby ivorcwalton » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:34 pm

I don't think you really need a vote to figure out the low point vs high point issue. All that needs to be done is to recompute the scores for a given year(or years)using low point scoring and see if it makes any difference. Without having looked at any of the data my guess is that the same skippers would qualify for the Champions regatta regardless of which scoring method is used.

Ivor
ivorcwalton

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Ivor, we did do that and the result was the same, but there are still some subtle differences. Our members are simply voting on whether to use the low point system or keep the current high point system.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Return to Regatta Stuff