J Nationals

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

J Nationals

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 pm

I see that a number of people have J boats under construction....

Jarl,
Scott T,
Mark R,

Did I miss anyone?

How many do you think will be done and make an appearance at Mystic Race Week?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby jack wubbe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I understand Gary Mueller has a J almost completed and I would bet big money that it will be at Mystic.

Jack Wubbe
jack wubbe

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 pm

I suspect Dr J's boat will be done.

I understand mark has been given direction to have the Pink J done

Scott's may be done

Bob Rodkey is building one that is very close to being done. ( my club)

I would plan on.

DB
Kjellberg
West
Wotring
DR J
MR Pink
Big Dog
ROdkey

all from Team Kjamrock

that in itself will fill up some water.

Last time at mystic there were 8 I think....but widdled down to 3-4 by mechanical attrition.

Might want to send a not to the class sec......and see what the western contigent is doing. I know he was planning on building a purpose built racing J.

plus poll all the J owners up in your neck o woods
Doug Wotring

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 am

Thanks Doug and All.

Based on the numbers that plan to attend from this end, we should have quite a turn out.
I have a Ranger on the ways at the moment but I am not sure she will be done in time. I just looked out the window and the second shift is not working tonight. The lights are all out in the shop so they must all be down the street drinking beer and watching the game.

But seriously from our neck of the woods,

John Snow
Ben Martin (2 boats)
Brian Kerrigan
Me, I may sail Ben's other boat unless my boat gets done in time.
John Skerry
Ned Lakeman
Jim Reynard
Tim Mason

Should be quite a site...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:22 am

wow 17 J's....almost have to do two fleets. as 17 j sails is alot of Sail to lose a boat behind. heck with 5 boats in TX we had a major collision with a half dollar size hole punched in a deck
Doug Wotring

Postby s vernon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:41 am

Let me see how long this bit of sarcasm stays posted.

You J guys should be smart like the EC12 class and everyone have bumpers. No wait that wasn’t the EC12. It was some sissy class, IOM, where people are forced to care about the integrity of their boats.

Another regatta, another penetration. That could be the EC12 class slogan.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Chuck, you might touch base with David Brawner. He has been the major mover to get the J going again. One of the reason was for the number of boats in R1. The development by he and Bob Kjellberg was for a racing J and not the classic presentation that has been much of the class. You can see that development at dmyc.com.

David has teamed up with John Snow several times. A major showing at Mystic would please the Seaport very much, as they like the classic stuff the J class represents. Us new guys are a bit off the classic approach with essentially an EC12 on steriods in the Shamrock V.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Rick,

I have been working with John Snow, Ken Shaw, Jack Garabino and Jim Linville to get Mystic Race Week up and running. Things are going well and I have been working with all classes that will be attending to see who might be planning on going.

We want to make sure we have covered all our bases so we are able to to accommodate the lot. We will be renting a pretty large tent from the Seaport with overnight security for use by all classes to store their boats but most likely the J's will benefit the most.

If we have 15-20 J's that show up, the tent rental will not go to waste.

Chuck

P.S. Scott, I am pretty sure a bow bumper would be useless on boats of these sizes. Too much inertia to prevent damage. Heads up, eyes open and don't loose site of your boat....
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:15 pm

yeah scott, no bumper is going to prevent major damage on a J collision.

at the 07 nationals there were two good collisions.....

and DB and Bob Kjellberg had one a few years ago that ended up with a pretzeled spar

I have run a leather bumper on my 12 from day one.....helps in low speed/force collisions, but if they are cranking.....it's still punching through.....it still pointy even if it is padded
Doug Wotring

Postby Swedish Viking » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:09 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jack wubbe</i>

I understand Gary Mueller has a J almost completed and I would bet big money that it will be at Mystic.

Jack Wubbe
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gary is currently painting his J -- boat, weights and electronics all finished. We are currently waiting for delivery of mast and sails. Once the lake is soft, we will be ready testing etc etc

Gerhard Kelter
Swedish Viking

Postby Rick West » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:22 am

Well, that is good to hear Dah-Ling.

I am sure there will be a list started so here...I will be there with the EC12 and the other one on steriods. It is the 94 duo from the Red Roof Red Room...[:D]

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Swedish Viking » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:09 am

Yes - Rick: Gary and I are planning to show up at Mystic with both the J-boat (Ranger) and our EC12's.
G Dah-ling
Swedish Viking

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 am

So where is Dave anyway?

Dave, what do you think about 15-18 J's on the starting line?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:53 am

OMG, you have not been to a J event!!

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Doug Wotring » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 pm

15-18 is not good IMHO......boats will be broken......and when we are talking a fair about of investment above that of the EC-12.......as well as the real possibility of a great deal of damage added to the fact that a J rig will clearly hide more than one boat.....I say two fleets.

Good chance after some mechanical problem attrition that things could be combined to 1 fleet.

Oh Not to mention that a start line for 15 J boats would be what 120 foot?

I watched the last J regatta at spring lake and I think there were 8 boats....that was alot! at the start line
Doug Wotring

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff