J Nationals

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 am

Sorry to be so late... but for the most current state of the class go to: www.OfficialJClass.org

There are currently 18 boats under construction (3 more in Europe) that I am aware of. I heard from Eric Reno today, speaking for Wick Smith.. the are completing a pair of Endeavour II made from a male plug.. they are hopeful.. but not confirmed to be ready. Some of the boats on the list as mentioned previously.. are indeed complete or nearly so, but I am waiting for pictures and official confirmation before putting it on the page.

John Hanks and Bob Eger are building Bob's new Endeavour, Jimmie Hawkins should be close to finished if not already sailing his new Ranger, and Bill Licomb another Endeavor as well. I know that John and Bob want to make the pilgrimage, but both men have had serious health risks in the last 7 months. I would like to make it, but it will take a real magic act to pull it off, but I am hopeful I will be saved at the bell.

As to 17 boat fleet... NO WAY.... you can see our 60' start line was easily gobbled up by only 5 of the 7 boats on the water... now imagine 3-4 times as many... you would have a start line longer than some race courses. These boats sail well.. but at 101.5" they need a living room to make a circle. It will most certainly be a record attendance, and truly something to see.

Gary Mueller's mast is a done deal.

As to 17 boat fleet... NO WAY.... you can see our 60' start line was easily gobbled up by only 5 of the 7 boats on the water... now imagine 3-4 times as many... you would have a start line longer than some race courses. These boats sail well.. but at 101.5" they need a living room to make a circle. It will most certainly be a record attendance, and truly something to see.

Larry Ludwig

Postby DBrawner » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:06 am

Chuck,
That fleet size is a terrific accomplishment. You may need a two fleet system to start the regatta with that many boats. Though, I have yet to be to a regatta where much more than half the fleet has finished the regatta. Most likely, we'll down to a manageable single fleet by the second or third heat.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi Dave,

The more I thought about this many boats, the more I got concerned about actually getting enough races off. With two fleets cycling between the water and sailing, we would almost need to just keep them in the water when not racing to speed the transition between races.

They will only be sailing 4 hours each day +/- and hour. So time is short and spending time waiting for boats to get launched and hauled moved around on land and and and, it just seems like it sucks up quite a bit of time.

What causes so much attrition in the events you have been to?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby tony » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:16 pm

look guys - these things are so big you should really consider going aboard- ie getting a real boat jah.
tony

Postby DBrawner » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Chuck,
I don't know the set up of the north end at Mystic but if there is a floating dock, the in and out is quick. Come Sunday afternoon, a lot of us won't be worry about the amount of races. We'll be exhausted at the end of the fourth day.

The J boat seems to be everybody's "other" boat. They either aren't maintained or they are under built. I have yet to see an over built J. The shock loading of a J going through a Sabino wake is very destructive. Some boats seem to have issues with not being watertight. The salt water finds the electronics quickly.

Basically, when you build your Ranger, use heavier line, bigger screws and a lot of epoxy.

DB
DBrawner

Postby DBrawner » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Dear Viking Racing Team,
I am psyched you are coming with a J to Mystic. Just a reminder that it is the boat that is entered in the regatta, not the skipper. Therefore, I hope both Gary and Gerhard will take the helm. This is going to be so much fun. We'll have the terrific gang from New England, the Viking Racing Team, Kjark Boy, the Poobah, Dr Wathne, Mr Kjellberg and possibly Mr Pretty in Pink himself, Marky Mark Superstar.

DB
DBrawner

Postby mbaulfinger » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 am

Hi DB and All,

I'm not much of a poster here but like to check from time to time. I noticed the discussions on the J-Class have been heating up here and on other forums. Thought I would ask a question about J-Class construction as DB posted something interesting:

The J boat seems to be everybody's "other" boat. They either aren't maintained or they are under built. I have yet to see an over built J. The shock loading of a J going through a Sabino wake is very destructive. Some boats seem to have issues with not being watertight. The salt water finds the electronics quickly.

Am I to assume that most of the skippers are scratch building their own boats? If so, where is the best place to get plans for one of these beauties? What planking material, and fiberglass layup schedule is recommended? Is there some sort of builders manual like I bought for the EC12 that lays out all the do's/don'ts? Have seen some pictures of J-class models elsewhere and some are truly works of art. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,
Mark
mbaulfinger

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:29 am

I understand there is a guy up in the NE that has plans for all the boats in proper scale for the class.

Also I think the Mystic Gift Shop has plans as well although may not be in the proper scale. I beleive they also have a book outlining tyhe process

there are several people making fiberglass J hulls now. Unless you have your heart set on spending many hours building a Plank on frame boat that is the route I would go.

the Delta Model Yacht Club Website has a Section similar to the 12 building site using the Kjamrock Shamrock V as the platform
Doug Wotring

Postby DBrawner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:17 pm

Mark,
Doug is pointing you in the right direction. The best documentation available can be found at www.deltamyc.com in the building section. Bob Kjellberg built the plug using plans from Rene Serrao in Nova Scotia. Rene's contact info may still be available on the AMYA website.

The mix in the class seems to be pretty even between planked and fiberglass hulls.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 am

In the last 18 months we have seen an increase in the class by more than 20 fiberglass hulls and 2 planked.

Serraro's plans have gone up. Pete Zick payed almost $400.00 for plans for 3 boats. Also, if you make a plug, or mold he wants ROYALTIES, I know this for a fact on dealing with him. Rangers plans are available from whence she came, Bath ME, at the Maine Maritime Museum. Other plans are indeed available from:

Ships Plans
Mystic Seaport
75 Greenmanville Ave.
PO Box 6000
Mystic, CT 06355-0990

Furthermore, John Hanks has plans for each of the boats, in one form or another. We are in the process of making them available to anyone interested with a small donation that goes to the class.

And as always.. don't forget that website...[:D]

http://www.officialJClass.org
Larry Ludwig

Postby mbaulfinger » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi Larry and All,

Thanks for the info on the availability/sources of plans for the J-Class. I too contacted Rene and asked about his plans. Sounds like the J-Class is gaining some momentum. Making plans available for a reasonable cost through the class seems a great way to insure that more people get interested in these boats.

Mark

Since I'm asking questions on this topic, here's another one: Anyone out there know of a J boat in the Southern OH area that I might be able to take a look at in person? I'm also looking forward to attending the EC12 race scheduled to take place in Mason later this year...
mbaulfinger

Postby DBrawner » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Mark,
There is a fellow in the Dayton area who either is building or has built a Shamrock. His name is Ed Ottopal but I do not have his contact info. You can reach him through Scott Rowland at Windjammin Sails. I believe his boat has more detail than our Shamrocks, which have been described as 12's on steroids.

The best way to get a good look is to join us at Mystic. It's a great place to hang out and sail toy boats. You are more than welcome to my transmitter.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:13 am

Dave,

I spoke with Jim Humphries yesterday, and he was still glowing from sailing your boat all day Friday when you guys were here. That was incredibly generous of you, and you made a friend for life.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Doug Wotring » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:42 am

Edward H Ottopal
9342 Wynnecrest Dr
Blue Ash, OH
513) 891-3213
Doug Wotring

Postby Jim Linville » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Anyone who wants can send a boat ahead for the J Boat
Nationals in Mystic, CT can send it to:

John Garbarino
25 Masons Island Road
Mystic, CT 06355-2938
(860) 536- 8886

Jack's place is about a mile from the Seaport.
He has plenty of secure room to store boats.
Jack's where we're holding the picnic.

Jim Linville
US One Meter Class Secretary
57 Edgewater Road
Hull, MA 02045
781-925-0045
jimisu@comcast.net
Jim Linville

PreviousNext

Return to Regatta Stuff