Nor Easter Update

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Nor Easter Update

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi All,

The Nor'Easter is fast approaching.... If you are planning on joining us in Newport for what promises to be an extraordinary sailing event, get your entry form in as soon as you can. The deadline is looming and I would not want you to miss out!

This will be the Region 1 Championships as well as the first in four "New England Cup" events in which points go toward National Ranking and Champion's Regatta rankings.

If you have any questions about the event, do ask!

Hope to see you there,

Chuck Luscomb
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 pm

You have my entry right? Trying to get some more southern entrys to join us.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 am

Hi All,

Here are the entries/regions as of 5/1.

Bob G.(3)
Larry Mazzoway(1)
Chuck Luscomb(1)
Rick West(6)
Ken Shaw(1)
Phil Tonks(1)
Jim Linville(1)
George Greenlaugh(1)
Dave Brawner(2)
Bruce Walton(1)
Kevin McLellan(1)
David Van Cleef(1)
Scott Todd(2)
Brian Jobson(1)

For those arrving on Friday afternoon, the plan is to set up a practice course at the sailing site starting about 3:30 till??.

With 14 boats, their will only be one fleet which means plenty of sailing! No Prom/Rel for this crowd, just lots of sailing. Bring plenty of charged batteries and their is 110v service on the docks so you should be able to charge batteries if you need to.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Jim Linville » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:14 am

Hey guys. Both Larry Mazzoway and I made reservations at the Motel 6 in Newport (closest motel to sailing site). Larry and I have decided to share a room, so I have an available reservation (check in Friday, check out Sunday AM; $53.19 per night). Let me know if you want me to save if for you. If not I'll cancel in a couple days.

Jim Linville
jimisu/a/comcast.net
Jim Linville

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:19 pm

We may also have room for a single in our room at Motel 6. The room would be split three ways. That would be $36.00 for both Friday and Saturday Night. More if you snore...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby kahle67 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:55 pm

A fleet size in the mid to upper teens is perfect and easy on the staff. Also, with gas prices where they are, 15 plus boats will probably beat the average attendance outside of Florida.

It looks like VC Performance Rigging has an entry. Nice!

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Reichard,

We are seeing good attendance at this regatta and this may be about average this year with fuel prices nearing $4.00/gal. The help in this case is Motel 6 as they are very resonable. If we only had $100.00plus dollar per night hotels, it might turn more people back.

Dave Van Cleef is a friend who sailed 914's with us three weeks ago so I offered him a boat since he now lives in Newport RI. He is interested in sailing EC12's more in the future.

Sorry you can't be up here for this one. You would love Newport.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby DBrawner » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Chuck,
With the wind predicted out of the east, is there any consideration to sailing off the beach where we used to sail the Mini-America's cup?

DB
DBrawner

Postby John Ebell » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm

I had David as a J World racing instructor many years ago. Ask him to tell you the story about him falling off the stern rail of a sail boat in the middle of the Carribean, in the middle of the night!!!!
John Ebell

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu May 01, 2008 2:39 pm

I have sent an e-mail to all those registered for this event with some bad news.

Al Dion's mom passed away yesterday morning and he will not be joining us. In his absence, he has asked me to step in and have a go at his and Jake's event.

Dave, the plan at the moment is to sail from one of the fixed docks. There are two as you know, one is shaped like a large "T" and the other is straight out into the basin (East-West). We plan to set up a windward leeward off the straight dock with the start finish line near the end of the dock and the leeward mark near the beach. This should give us a good set up with this wind direction.

With that being said, if the beach is available and offers a better course option, we can explore that as well. Jake and I will both be there tomorrow in the early afternoon so we can all have a look when you get there.

Chuck

PS John, I will see if he remembers falling overboard. I am not sure this is a memory he would like to recall! I will see him tomorrow night.
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Having done the same thing, I'll vouch for how surprisingly warm the water is.And how good our crew was!

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat May 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Several skippers suffered gear failures today in Newport as Mother Nature took it toll. Most recovered to continue to sail but some could not make it back and decided to take in the sights instead.

Saturday results for the Nor Easter are as follows.

1 Dave Brawner 23pts
2 Rick West 31 pts
3 Chuck Luscomb 32 pts
4 Bruce Walton 33 pts
5 Brian Jobson 35pts
6 Phil Tonks 39pts
7 Robert Greer 40pts
8 David Van Cleef 47pts
9 Scott Todd 60pts
10 Larry Mazoway 77pts
11 Kevin Mclellen 122pts
12 Gorge Greenlaugh 123pts
13 Jim Linville 126pts
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Sun May 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Boy was that a blast. 10 to 12 with big seas each day first from the east and then the north. 20 races and all close on both day.

Oh, it was cold and wet to boot with the wind chill factor. We sat in vehicles with heaters going at times. Lovely sailing regatta. You missed a good one.

I think this is right but Chuck will post when he decommpresses.

Brawner - 48
Bruce Walton - 59
Bob Greer - 61
Rick West - 61
Luscomb - ??

I think 9 of 12 survived to the finish. Everyone had their share of problems. Brawner with electronics, Walton the rath of collisions, Greer had a blown bow block and fixed with only one DNS, I got one friggin drop of water in my RX (2 DNS) and Luscomb also had several course contacts. It was dicy and fun; everyone a gentleman.

Good Management and my thanks to Jake Leo, RD, Chuck Luscomb stepping in last minute for Al Dion who lost his mother last week and Ken Shaw on the line.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby DBrawner » Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Jake, Chuck and Ken,
You guys did a great job. I was whining like a little girl at the thought of rigging a boat while it was raining and cold. Jake just set a course and said we were sailing. It turned into a great day by the time we finished. The sun was even out for the pictures.

Big wind, big waves and a big current at the weather mark. Oh it was fun. Thanks.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Thank's Rick and Dave for the kind words.

We are all sorry about Al's situation and wish he could have been there. Everyone was a gentlemen this weekend with plenty of opportunities not to be. Cooler heads prevailed and the result was a great regatta with some very exciting sailing. Far from pond sailing and a whole new dimension to RC sailing. Can you say tide and big waves?

Just when you thought someone was all done with after a collision or break down, their boat would pop back out for another start! I think Bob Greer now holds the record for the fastest bow block replacement. My hat is off to everyone who sprang back into action and stayed in the game.

With 20 races completed over 2 days in some pretty maturing conditions we have the following results.

1 Dave Brawner 48pts
2 Bruce Walton 59pts
3 Bob Greer 61pts
4 Rick West 61pts
5 Chuck Luscomb 69pts
6 David Van Cleef 75pts
7 Brian Jobson 77pts
8 Phil Tonks 103pts
9 Larry Mazoway 151pts
10 Scott Todd 162pts (Did not sail Sunday)
11 Kevin McLellan 234pts (Did not sail Sunday)
12 George Greenlaugh 235pts (Did not sail Sunday)
13 Jim Linville 238pts (Did not sail either Saturday or Sunday)

Congratulations to Dave and the rest of the trophy winners for an excellent job and a great regatta.

A full regatta report to follow.

Chuck Luscomb
Chuck Luscomb

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff