2009 ec12 international event

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2009 ec12 international event

Postby tony » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Can someone tell me why we're limiting the 09 international ec12 in St James Island to 36 boat? only 12 skipper from the US will be permitted.
07 nationals successfully launched over 50 boats. We know the venue can handle it so why the cap? This is possibly the most important EC12 event there is and so many skippers from the US and possibly abroad wont be able to participant due to this restriction.
tony

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:34 am

I suspect there was a cap put on so people traveling from half way around the world would get as much sailing as possible for their troubles.

that said.....with 24 slots for non US skippers I suspect there will be a fair ammount of open slots to be filled by US guys lower on the qual. list.

It is an invitational
Doug Wotring

Postby Rick West » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Tony,
There is a cap for two fleets only. That was the understanding at the last event. We can put two fleets on the water at 20 boats each in Charleston and that is 36 boats.

It is for sailing time and forward thinking saw 40 US boats against the world at this one.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby tony » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm good with the 36 boat cap Rick - It's just we're seeing an explosion in the class down here in Florida and just recently with the St Petersburg regatta filling up 9 weeks prior to the registration cut off. It's a concern to see a bunch of Skippers turned away. This seems to be the growing trend and with a record number of boats attending the 07 Nationals, would suggest consideration needs to given to the expanding class. what do you think ?
thanks for your responses.
best,
tony 82
tony

Postby Rick West » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks Tony, and yes there has been a lot of growth that will soon need to be addressed. One of the issues is the numbers of boats to a start matched to the venue. The NCR venue considerations after Camp Dearborn will have to take this into account. We cannot go to Charleston every year even it we all demanded it. It is a wonderful facility but there are always local needs that we do not want to burn out.

The Worlds was decided for Charleston because it was the best we have and could handle the most boats. This is not a sanctioned event but part of conversation in the international community going back to a barbie at Brian Hogg's house in New Zealand. The first was in 2006 at Nelson and it was agreed by all that it would be casual to rules in regard to the EC12 and formal memberships around the world. There are EC12's in six countries and the move is to bring them together to visit and share ideas for the community. In concert it was felt that a two fleet race format was best so that the time on the water was maximum for the effort to be there.

The international community has for more boats than the 24 allotted but probably less than a dozen will come. I know that when we have 50-60 entries to our NCR there would be interest in the Worlds as well. I find this exciting that we have risen to the point of logistics being a matter of considerations. But so should be to the international community when they come to the US to face about 160 competitors that travel around to our regattas. It is easy to understand that 50 of them would like to come.

It would be the same for 2012 when the Worlds move to Australia where there are 50 Aussies that would like to attend.

It is a lot more expensive to travel these days compared to 10 years ago when I began sailing on the East Coast. A weekend regatta can cost three to 500 dollars now and adding a third fleet to the Two Fleet System in Florida and a fourth fleet to the Class NCR will dramatically reduce the time on the water; more so in management than actual sailing. Increasing the length of regattas has been frowned on since the NCR at Disney with four days of racing. The staff said no more!

There are other programs and too long for here in this writing but it would be good to hear other views and ideas for the mix. Contingencies are needed for when it is upon us.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Doug Wotring » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:52 pm

I think the set limit is fine...considering that there will not likely ever be 24 non host entries in any Worlds

as far as Local and regional regattas.....there are several options
1. Hold more regattas
2. Raise entry fees (that will always lower entry numbers)
3. Start/use a ranking system, considering regattas sailed in, performance etc.

I agree with Rick and others probably do to, that when someone takes off a week of work to go to a nationals, they want as much sailing for the buck that they can squeeze in. This is probably multiplied by a factor of 10 when you are traveling with boat and gear internationally ( crating and shipping boats, rigs, gear)
Doug Wotring

Postby yachtie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:55 am

Rick sums it beautifully from an international perspective and from one who has done the international travel with his boat.

From what I know of the Kiwi contingent for next year I am guessing at a push 6 will come north. Maybe 2 or 3 from the land of OZ. This I will know when I go over there in May for the AUSSIE Nationals. That makes 9 or 10 - there may be 2 from UK and maybe 3-5 from other parts of Euroland which realistically will open up to 20 US slots.

To give you Yankee's an idea of $$ from down under - at current rates -
NZ-US (Via LAX to Charleston) return airfare (USD approx)$2250
Accomodation for 2 weeks trip $1000
Rental vehicle (shared cost) $400
Food $250
Rum and Beer $1500 [:o)][:I][:X]

Total approx $5400 USD or NZD $7000 [:(]

A big spend for boys with their toys. I personally have budgeted $NZD 10,000 (gotta get the kids a T shirt and the wife a "keep her happy thing" as well)[V]

Travelling so far and at such expense says I sure as hell want to get in 53 races a day (just kidding - 25 will be fine[:D])

With 2 fleets of 20 the racing will be fantastic, some will enjoy the breaks between heats, some will get sail nearly every heat there is and the evenings shall be even better with the continued friendships created when Rick, Jack and Uncle Jim from Kapiti (homnorary citizen - for those don't know - please ask [;)])

I am chomping at the bit now to get there and can't wait to catch up with the guys who came down under and meet many faces that I seen in name here.

Go the Kiwi's - especially those with red boats [^]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby fvracer1 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:17 am

Can I re-register my boat from my father's birthplace,homeland? How many spots are the Sicilians being allowed?

"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:43 am

Let me add something more.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yachtie</i>

To give you Yankee's an idea of $$ from down under - at current rates -
NZ-US (Via LAX to Charleston) return airfare (USD approx)$2250
Accomodation for 2 weeks trip $1000
Rental vehicle (shared cost) $400
Food $250
Rum and Beer $1500 [:o)][:I][:X]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Four days of fun, top shelf sailing and new friends - priceless

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby IanHB » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Is there any decision yet on the proposed venue and dates for the 2009 International Regatta?

Time is a passing and the folks from "Middle Earth" need to start thinking about transport for both boat and person.

Any information would be welcome.
I shall be in Boston for the week of 25 June to 4 July 2008 but don`t think I will get a chance to sail.
Best wishes.

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby yachtie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:26 am

Ian - all the basics are:

The event is scheduled for the first week of November 2009 in Charleston, South Carolina.

This is the same venue as the US Nats in 2007.

Pictures from that event are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/greerdr/2007Nationals

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby kermwood » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:33 am

I must start off by thanking the C.S for giving us (the international community)the chance to discuss and give our opinion on the 2009 championships.
What a shame that once again apathy rules internationally again.
a simple Don,t mind / don,t care/ maybe /would have sufficed,
It is quite ironic that l have had several emails from US based Skippers( of whom l have been critical in the past for their not taking any interest in the class) who would have liked the venue changed and were willing to say so.
With the economics of the world at this time l have to even more consider my outgoings and have to combine my sailing even more so with my personal life i.e holidays and l have to ask myself would l go to charleston for my vacation next year or Orlando/key west.
just as this year NCR in Detroit(where the hell is that anyway [}:)]) or the Maldives[8D] in three weeks time Hmm no contest.
Woody
kermwood

Return to Regatta Stuff