Matrix

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Matrix

Postby philair » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:19 pm

Anyone have a source for a good and fair matrix grid?

I just analyzed the one our club has been using....ugh...terribly unbalanced.

Our members do not want to go to promotion/relegation due to the enormous energy of taking the boat out & relaunching every other heat.

Thanks
philair

Postby jrflorida » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:01 am

The comparison of the fairness of a matrix and the promo/relegation seems to not favor the matrix, due to the problem of everyone possibly not sailing everyone else in the matrix, and what dropouts do to the mix.

By the way, what is your definition of "enormous energy"? Lifting a 22 pound boat a foot or two with a lifting strap and carrying it a dozen yards doesn't sound to me to be much energy expended.

John
jrflorida

Postby Rick West » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 pm

Phil,
The Matrix system is only used in Florida with regattas on the national schedule postings. It was found that a true and fair Matrix was difficult to achieve if not impossible. This is in consideration that a regatta has to stop at a certain point where all competitors have completed the rotation needed for all to meet all the same number of times. This is often interfered with by cancellations in the last few days if not the morning of the event.

My experience in sailing all the Florida events a few years ago where the Matrix was the majority used, was frustrating because when the scoring identified the competitor I needed to best I could not get a heat with him in it. Regardless of efforts by the RC this was the case more than not and hence steered the course of the regatta along a path maybe not intended.

Florida has always favored this system for the reasons you state. I have never thought this reason enough where there is no control to the number of competitors on Saturday morning or possible mistakes in the subjection selection process in creating the heat pairings. Ultimately, the fairness of the Matrix is rooted here.

The other consideration that is not mentioned is that while less physical effort is needed a true competitor hates to sail two to three consecutive heats where tweaking is rushed or not available. Additionally, major competitors who attend a Matrix formatted regatta consider it for other reasons and hope for the luck of the draw.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby john bottensek » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi Phil, I have a matrix system that works for 16 boats even, any more or less and it becomes obscured. Due to cancellations and no shows, I have run my last regatta using the matrix system. It just became to frustrating. I'll be glad to drop you a copy in the mail if you would like. John B.
john bottensek

Postby philair » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:56 pm

IT APPEARS MY QUEST FOR A BETTER MATRIX SYSTEM HAS LED TO SOME INACCURATE ASSUMPTIONS.

THE SOUTH DAYTONA REGATTA WILL BE USING PROMOTION/RELEGATION

NOT MATRIX

I WAS INTERESTED IN A MATRIX FOR SMALLER CLUB EVENTS TO SATISFY SOME OLD TIMERS.

PHIL
philair

Return to Regatta Stuff