Champions Invitational 2022

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Champions Invitational 2022

Postby scottgraf » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:06 pm

The class will soon be holding the 2022 Champions Regatta in Charleston SC on what I hope will be a fantastic weekend March 12-13.
Since many of our regions had a reduced schedule due to some pandemic still running around the world, we are forced to modify our invitee statutes. We are still processing a few additional slots and will provide a jotform to the invitees this coming week.

The final list of miscreants is below.
Peter Feldman
Alex Ramos
Reichard Kahle
Jon Luscomb
Dave Ramos
Joe Walter
Robert Greer
Calvin Obara (last minute deletion)
Danny Thomas
Scott Graf
Frank Ligon
Eddie Wolfe
Gerry Cobley (last minute deletion)
Sean Fidler (last minute addition)
Dave Linville
Brian Kerrigan
Mark Reinhart
Rick Gerry
Jarl Wathne
Last edited by scottgraf on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Re: Champions Invitational 2022

Postby scottgraf » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am

Skippers,

For those who have received the jotform link and replied thank you.

For those who have not replied, there's a chance you may receive the youth XS shirt in your goody bag.

Any person on the above list who has not received a jotform link from me either by email, text or Facebook, please contact me at scottgraf@yahoo.com and I'll make arrangements to get you squared away.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby scottgraf » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi Team,

The shirts have been ordered.
Scott Graf #1874
scottgraf

Postby Dave_Branning » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Day one of Champions saw winds in the 20's with brutal puffs into the 30's. We completed two races in the morning and then took a 2 hour break for lunch and, hopefully, some wind abatement. After the break 10 boats elected to answer the "boats in the water" command and we were able to complete 4 more very puffy winds. Tomorrow's forecast is very low temperatures and A sail winds.

top three after Saturday: Doc Greer 24 pts, Peter Feldman 35 pts and Danny Thomas 43 pts. Stay tuned.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby scottgraf » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:04 pm

Champions Regatta 2022 Results

Race to Survive season '22 is now over. With sustained winds of over 20 knots gusting to well over 30 on Saturday, it was a battle to cross the finish and in some cases stay afloat. Taping decks did not always keep mother nature out. Fortunately all boats stayed above Davy Jone's Locker. Also the amount of carnage was fairly high across the fleet as only one skipper, Doc Greer, sailed extremely well and was able to finish all fifteen races. The CPM contingent alone suffered two torn mainsails, a broken B rig and dead rudder servo on one boat; a broken jib boom on another boat, a stripped jib servo on a third boat and two radio boards awash. Our Region 4 rookie, Sean Fidler, also destroyed a C rig suit after one day. I cannot even share how much activity was going on off the water between races, with field repairs up to and including a full mast replacement from a blank extrusion. With all that going on Race Chair Dave Branning managed to finish seven races on Saturday despite lengthy delays. Whether one was sailing or watching, I believe all skippers enjoyed our "nuclear" Saturday where even the lunch wraps and Madeleines taking flight.

Sunday was docile in comparison with predominate wind from the North but fickle on the pond where our last race was on a reverse course. Most skippers opted for A or Light A rigs for the day. I think we skippers could all agree to classify Sunday as a typical Charleston race day with numerous lead changes throughout the day and thankfully no bug bites. Just because you nailed the start didn't mean you walked away with the win as there were multiple 3-7 boat holes on the race course so one had to remain vigilant. RC Dave and the group agreed to extend the sailing by an hour and we were able to hold 8 races. Final results are below.

I would like to thank all the volunteers and support folks who made this regatta possible. Dave Branning - Race Director; Reichard Kahle & DT - Chase boat, Marks, Coolers, Ice (gotta have all those); Joe Walter - shirts; Alan Perkins - Scorer; Steve Landau - Marks/Chase Boat (Saturday); Will Van Cleef - Chase Boat (Sunday); Henry Cerceo & Skip Miller - Race Staff
PLUS!! All skippers who, when not racing, were enormous helpers: Mark Rinehart, Jarl Wathne, Joe Walter, Eddie Wolfe (drone footage--wow)

This regatta may eventually be known as one of the highest calibre events in terms of the number of actual national champions attending with seven (7) from the EC-12 class and more including additional classes. After all the mayhem on Saturday and holes on Sunday it is my honor to congratulate Peter Feldman as Champion by capturing five firsts and 11 top five finishes. Giving chase was runner up Danny Thomas, the Wizard of Osman" capturing two firsts and 9 top five finishes, followed by Jon Luscomb capturing 8 top five finishes to round out the top three.

Place - Name - Pts after TO
1. Peter Feldman - 32
2. Danny Thomas - 52
3. Jon Luscomb - 64
4. Sean Fidler - 68
5. Dave Ramos - 69.2
6. Alex Ramos - 80
7. Robert Greer - 83
8. Reichard Kahle - 84
9. Rick Gerry - 121
10. Jarl Wathne - 141
11. Mark Reinhart - 148