Jacksonville Regatta April 24/25, 2021 R7CR

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jacksonville Regatta April 24/25, 2021 R7CR

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:31 pm

The Jacksonville Regatta is on and scheduled for April 24-25, 2021. Region 7Championship
The hotel has given us a great low price of just $89 per night plus tax. Last year is $109.
Here is the link to the NOR and Online Entry: http://www.floridaec12.com/Jax_NOR_2021.pdf

Bring your masks, we will probably be social distancing.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: Jacksonville Regatta April 24/25, 2021 R7CR

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:12 pm

15 skippers now. I need folks to register ASAP. Not going to cancel at this point. YEAH! But still need more entries.

1. Jim Rutherford
2. Calvin Obara
3. John Goldsworthy
4. Dan Pearce
5. Earl Mills
6. Jon Luscomb
7. George Balaschak
8. Joe Walter
9. Randy Cheshire
10. Robert Greer
11. David Zahn
12. Frank Ligon
13. David Pulling
14. Tom Phillips
15. Martin Gray (hopefully)

People I am hoping will come are: Doug Nettles, Reichard Kahle, Ricky Gerry, Dave Linville and more.

As the prez says, C'mon man! You got to sign the thing, with the boats, do the form, you know the rest....C'mon!

UPDATED 4/18/21 09:01
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby fligon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:24 pm

I plan on coming, just tryong to sort out a boat to bring.
fligon

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm

Don't forget that this is also the Florida EC12 Association Annual Meeting. George will hold court after sailing on Saturday and before dinner.

Speaking of dinner. Should I plan a group outing or do people still want to social distance? Let me know so I can call a restaurant.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 pm

The list is growing a little but we still need more. Get your entries in ASAP.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am

A REMINDER: This is the Region 7 Championship regatta. Make sure you bring your measurement certificates. And be sure you are a current AMYA member.

If you don't have a measurement certificate yet and would like to have your boat measured, please call or email me so that we can set up measuring on Friday only. It would be better to get with a local club member to do it before you come. Here is the link to the measurement policy and certificate form. http://www.ec12.org/Admin/Files/EC12_Me ... Policy.pdf
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Day one of the Jacksonville Regatta did not start with the forecasted wind of 15+ knots with chance of rain. Instead we had a beautiful day of mostly clear skies that stuck with us all day. However the wind was out of the South for the most part, which is the worst direction when there is a six story hotel in the way. Brenda Pardee did an excellent job as RD and put her very experienced dad in charge of setting a course with help from another guy who knows a thing or two about sailing toy boats, John Bottensek. We started sailing to the East where the very fluky winds seemed to be swirling a little more steadier than any other direction. We named it the Whirlpool course. You all know what I'm talking about. No matter where you put your boat is was going to be wrong. Lead changes were frequent and often frustrating to those getting passed. After a few heats going East, the wind seemed to be a little better swirling around the West side of the hotel. So Jim Pardee and company made a new course on that side of our lake. For those not familiar with the St. Augustine Hotel Venue, it is kind of a pregnant boomerang shaped lake with a hotel in the way. Getting a great start and staying in front was the trick for much of the day, but not always a sure thing. The word AUTOTACK was heard quite a bit. Towards the end of the day, the wind finally settled in to an actual steady direction and we sailed 4-5 heats in a good steady breeze. I'll expand on everything later. Need to get ready for the group dinner now. Did I just say GROUP DINNER? Yes I did.

Here are the first day results after 17 races with two throw-outs, but not set in writing yet as we still have tomorrow to get a bigger one.
1. Joe Walter 40 6 first places
2. Robert Greer 54 5 first places
3. David Zahn 58 3 first places
4. Jon Luscomb 62 1 first places
5. Calvin Obara 74.2
6. Tom Phillips 86 1 first places
7. George Ballaschak 87
8. James Rutherford 92
9. John Goldsworthy 113 1 first places
10. Frank Ligon 113
11. Dan Pearce 146
12. Randy Cheshire 156
13. Earl Mills 175
14. David Pulling 182
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Day two was just about as nice a day as anyone could ask for. Chamber of Commerce weather with a much better wind direction and fairly steady. Still enough shifts to challenge everyone. A very long windward-leeward course was set up by Jim Pardee with the help of Baron Bremer in the chase boat. It was warm in the sun, but cool and breezy in the shade of the trees along the East side of the lake. Robert Greer, David Zahn, Jon Luscomb and Calvin Obara where eager to knock me down a few pegs and try to bump me from the top spot. They did a great job of it in the first race of the day with Doc Greer winning, Calvin in second, David in third and Jon in fourth with me back in sixth place. Was I going to suffer another Sunday Choke? Fortunately, I managed to stay at the top of the fleet the rest of the day with mostly seconds and thirds and just one win. David Zahn and Jon Luscomb were sailing great and managed to close up the points at the top and dropped Doc Greer down to fourth over all. But they couldn't catch me and I took home my first ever Region 7 Championship trophy.

There was some other notable skippers sailing well this weekend. Frank Ligon sailed quite well with his best finish on the weekend a 2nd place and almost got a bullet today after leading half the race only to get passed due to a wind shift that gave a huge lift to a number of boats. Watch out for Frank now. He really is getting good. We were also glad to see Earl Mills return the EC12 Class after a long absence. It took him a few races to warm up and get the feel again, but he had a couple of exciting races.

The Florida Championship perpetual trophy is going back home to hang on the wall at Jon Luscomb's house. Which made Karen happy because she does not have to paint the wall where it was hanging before.

I want to thank Brenda Pardee for stepping up to RD so I could sail. She did a great job. Thanks also to her dad Jim, Baron and Cheryl Bremer, John Bottensek, Bill Wells, and Jackie Mills. This was a very well run regatta in difficult winds. I want to also thank all the skippers for one of the most quite and friendly regattas. Hardly and argument was heard and most everyone did their turns without much discussion.

Jax2021Results.jpg
Jax2021Results.jpg (401.78 KiB) Viewed 8550 times
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Regatta Stuff