2020 Champions Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2020 Champions Regatta

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:52 pm

It is time to start making your plans for the Champions Regatta in Charleston SC.

March 14-15, 2020 is the date for the regatta and it will be sailed at it’s forever location at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC.

If you are in BOLD RED below, you may enter now: https://form.jotform.com/200196770873966 Don't forget to note your shirt size. The default is SMALL.

This is an Invitation Only Regatta. Skippers had to qualify in one of the four groups or be invited by the committee because of their past performances in other regattas such as the NCR.

The NOR and SI have been emailed. Dave Branning will be the RD again for this year’s event and he is bringing a team to keep score and help run the regatta. There is usually a gathering for dinner on Friday night. Most skippers arrive on Friday and practice sail before meeting up later that evening. A Saturday dinner will also be planned and more info on that location will follow.

This venue has 10 Cottages for up to 8 people each to stay in. They sell out very quickly. You should try to book one now. https://www.ccprc.com/1435/The-Cottages this link will take you to the site.

Here is the list of Top Ten skippers from each group. The Top Five plus the defending champion are invited to compete. If one or more of the top five cannot attend, the next skippers in line are invited. For some of you below the top five, you have already made the cut. See below. We have already invited Peter Feldman who is the defending National Champion.

[i]Updated: 1/22/20 at 23:10/i]

Defending Champion: Danny Thomas YES

Colonial Cup
1. Dave Ramos YES
2. Jamey Betz NO
3. Harry Mote NO
4. Scott Graf YES
5. Dave Branning (RD, will not be sailing)
6. Mark Rinehart NO
7. David Brawner (God bless you David, we miss you.)
8. Domenick Bonanno YES
9. Skip Hall NO
10. Roger Baldwin NO

Florida Cup
1. Jon Luscomb YES
2. Chuck Millican (Qualify in New England)
3. Joe Walter YES
4. Robert Greer NO
5. Alan Perkins YES
6. Calvin Obara NO
7. George Balaschak NO
8. Brenda Pardee NO
9. Ricky Gerry (Qualified in Dixie)
10. Earnan Scavella NO

Dixie Cup
1. Reichard Kahle YES
2. Ricky Gerry YES
3. Skip Allen NO
4. Alan Perkins (Qualified in Florida)
5. Joe Walter (Qualified in Florida)
6. Gerry Cobley NO
7. Scott Vernon YES
8. Chuck Millican (Qualified in New England)
9. John Muhlhausen NO
10. Dennis Headberg YES

New England Cup
1. Rob Hill NO
2. Brian Kerrigan YES
3. Chuck Millican YES
4. Dave Ramos (Qualified in Colonial)
5. Boots Boutillier NO
6. Ernest Freeland YES
7. Brian Jobson NO
8. Paul Switzer NO
9. Jim Goddard NO
10. Tim Stone YES

Invitation by Committee: Peter Feldman YES, defending National Champion
Also invited: Chuck Luscomb YES, Dave Linville YES, Alex Ramos YES.

If your name is in RED, you are first to be invited. If it is BOLD RED, we know you are coming. As we start to hear back from everyone, we will update the list.

Start making your plans and look for more emails as well as postings on the Discussion site.

See you all at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Re: 2020 Champions Regatta

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 am

Note to skippers waiting to see if they will be put in RED. Chuck Millican qualified in three groups, which is a pretty rare thing. The basic rule is that he has to represent his group even if he was higher up in another group. However, in an effort to get the most skippers entered within the 21 boat limit, we may have Chuck represent another group depending on who would like to sail from other groups. I have asked Chuck to support this idea.

Check back as the list is updated.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Ahoy Mates: Joe Walter has done a great job making sure all eligible skippers have been notified with invitations. The job of all now is to respond yes or no so we can offer those who may want to race in Charleston in March. a vacant spot. Racing in Charleston in mid-March....nothing better.
As your RD, I have secured the eager commitment from Karen Luscomb as your RC team with backup support from Liz Perkins and our Official EC12 Class Photographer, Judy Bonanno, on hand to check our math.

The support team is ready and Reichard and Ricky are ready to host us....so let's let Joe Walter know your intentions ASAP.
Last edited by Dave_Branning on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Ahoy to all,
I have already reserved a cabin at James Island County Park for Friday and Saturday nights.
I have one bedroom available, the ever spacious Bunk Room and the fold out couch. Email me at tstone52@comcast.net
It's been a long winter already! Can't wait to see everyone!
Tim
Vermont
"Just for Fun" #484
Tim

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:27 am

Well, we have 20 skippers on the YES side of the 2020 Champions regatta. That includes the invited skippers who all but one said yes. Jarl Wathne, unfortunately, could not make it this year and we hope he will be competing this season so that he can try and make it next year.

The Champions Regatta has always been an "Earn your way in event", but it has also been an Invitational as well. We just did not make the "Invitational" part so prevalent. This year, we wanted to make sure we filled the roster with as many deserving skippers as we could. We have 20 skippers ready to compete in a 21 maximum fleet. We hope that Earnan Scavella can make it to this year's Champions Regatta, but he has informed us that work may prevent him from coming. The door is still open for him.

Cabins are being booked and plans are being made. It is looking like a great event is shaping up.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Only four of you have sent in your entries so far. I need to order shirts so I need your entries soon along with your shirt sizes, which is on the form.

https://form.jotform.com/200196770873966
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Here is a list of the entries I have received so far. I need you guys to get me you entries ASAP and don't forget to mark your shirt size. The online entry link is at the start of this post.

Dave Ramos Got it
Scott Graf Got it
Domenick Bonanno Got it
Joe Walter Got it
Reichard Kahle Got it
Ricky Gerry Got it
Scott Vernon Got it
Chuck Millican Got it
Brian Kerrigan Got it
Ernest Freeland Got it
Tim Stone Got it
Peter Feldman Got it
Chuck Luscomb Got it
Dennis Headberg Got it
Alan Perkins Got it
Dave Linville Got it
Jon Luscomb Got it
Danny Thomas Got it

Alex Ramos Need it I got his shirt size from Dave, so I will place the order for the shirts. He can send in his entry when he gets back in the country.

Thanks everyone.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:00 pm

I hope you all can read this.
2079087E-521D-45FC-87D8-5AA76F20883E.jpeg
2079087E-521D-45FC-87D8-5AA76F20883E.jpeg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 10631 times
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:04 am

2020 Champions Regatta Report

In this the 50th Anniversary year of the EC12 Class, the 2020 version of the Champions Regatta was a hum dinger. Great winds that remained true both days (mostly) and sunny weather make it so pleasurable for the Yankees who arrived stamping the snow off their flip flops. In a nutshell, Danny Thomas, the defending champion, won the first and last race and the championship, but there was a lot of tense racing drama over two days of 21 races. What a terrific two days of racing and outstanding sportsmanlike behavior from all. Racing with friends, as Dave Brawner would say.

Saturday’s 15 races were sailed in a steady 10-15 knots the whole day. Not a buoy had to be moved. Beautiful! There was a mix, at times, of A and B rigs. You only had time to make a change after a 3-race set, so picking the right rig was a science. At the end of the day. Reichard Kahle held a slight lead over Alex Ramos, with Dave Ramos, Danny Thomas, Joe Walter and Peter Feldman in the top close mix. Alan Perkins, who had three firsts on Saturday, was 39 points off the lead when we went to dinner.

On Sunday, the wind lightened to 5-8; we got in a set of three races, with Perkins climbing with two firsts and a second but Kahle still held the lead. The wind then had shifted 90 degrees to the right so a whole new course was set and we lined up on a new shore for the last three races. Alan Perkins had a winning day with a 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 8 series but it was not enough to catch consistent Danny Thomas, who won the regatta by 3 points over Alan. They finished in the same position as last year. Note, with two discarded scores, there was a mere 12 points separating the top six places over 21 races. Incredible racing to watch.

Of note here is the mix of first place finishes: Alan Perkins 5 firsts; Alex Ramos 4 firsts; Danny Thomas 3 firsts; Chuck Luscomb 3 firsts; Peter Feldman 2 firsts; Reichard Kahle 2 firsts; Jon Luscomb 1 first; Ricky Gerry 1 first.

As RD I had an easy time. Why? We had Joe Walter, our great class secretary, bring a carload of RC gear and Reichard Kahle and his local fleet guys made sure the dinghy, buoys, drinks, donuts, coffee, etc., etc., was all neatly ready to go. I brought a chair. The best scorekeepers that money could buy were cheerfully engaged at all times (keeping me focused}. They were Karen Luscomb and Liz Perkins. You two are the best team-mates. Our Official EC12 Class Photographer, Judy Bonanno, fired up several cameras to record the action. You will see some videos in the mix of her vast offering.

Here's Judy's pics from Day One: https://judybonanno.smugmug.com/Sailing/EC-12-regattas/2020-Champions-Charleston-Day-1/
You may see Day 2 by 11 am EDT when you go to https://judybonanno.smugmug.com then Sailing then EC12 and then 2020 Champions

Final Results:
1. Danny Thomas 84
2. Alan Perkins 87 tiebreaker
3. Reichard Kahle 87
4. David Ramos 90
5. Peter Feldman 95
6. Alex Ramos 96
7. Joe Walter 130
8. Chuck Luscomb 147
9. Chuck Millican 154
10. Jon Luscomb 174
11. Scot Graf 188
12. Brian Kerrigan 198
13. Dave Linville 204
14. Domenick Bonanno 215
15. Rick Gerry 237
16. Dennis Headberg 267
17. Tim Stone 276
18. Scott Vernon 300

Opinion: This is one of the best regattas in concept and held at a terrific venue annually. We are fortunate to have such terrific support from Reichard Kahle, Charleston Fleet and the EC12 Class in the form of Joe Walter. We are the only class that I know of that holds such a championship annually. Everyone who attends this regatta is a top skipper in their respective region and it is limited to 21 boats. For those of you who aspire to race with the best and you qualify in your region, you need to make a huge effort to attend this regatta. For 2021, I encourage you to support your regional EC12 events and make it a goal to give your best effort to qualify for Champions Regatta in March 2021. Best to all for the 2020 racing season
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Return to Regatta Stuff