720 and language

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

720 and language

Postby s vernon » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:58 am

David Dallenbaugh tells us about 720's on the Sailing Breezes.com website. If his words are heeded then there is no need to get frustrated while your buddy harrasses you about whether or not you are going to do a 720. You get away from the other boats and do it right away or you or you do not do it at all and go to the protest committee. So then we can all be spared the tiraid.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_B ... 4/dell.htm

Don’t delay your penalty
The 720 rule is a great alternative to retiring from the race, but it also requires that you make a quicker decision about what to do. With the 720, you can’t take a lot of time to think about whether your were right or wrong. You have a short window of opportunity right after the incident, and then the 720 option is no longer available.

US Appeal 60 provides a good summary of how quickly you must do a 720. It says, “Rule 44.1 permits a boat to take a penalty ‘at the time of the incident.’ Rule 44.2 requires the boat to sail well clear of other boats as soon as possible after the incident and ‘promptly’ complete two 360 degree turns. Together these rules require a boat that decides to take a penalty to do so as soon as possible after the incident. The rule does not provide for time for a boat to deliberate whether she has broken a rule. If she delays in doing her 720 penalty, she is still liable to be disqualified.â€
s vernon

Postby Ken S » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:01 pm

I default I've seen at regattas I've been to has been take your penalty before the next mark. This seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Ken
Ken S

Postby greerdr » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:27 pm

I also have seen "before the next mark" applied.Is this the sense of the class?

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:28 am

My understanding was that penalties are to be made as soon as possible, away from the rest of the fleet, and before the next mark.
Doug Wotring

Postby dave thinel2 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:38 pm

This is a misunderstood rule by many sailers. You are supposed to do the turns as soon as possible and clear of other boats. You frequently here sailers say they have the rest of that leg to do the turns which is incorrect.
dave thinel2

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:59 am

I agree that your turn should be as soon as possible. You don't want to do it at a crouded mark, so you should wait until you have sailed clear of the mark and other boats, but then you should do your turn right away.

I don't know the history behind it, but my take on the "before the next mark" rule is that it stopped all the arguments at the lake. Trying to determine what was as soon as possible might have made for a lot of loud discussions. By adding "before the next mark" you made it very clear.

I also think your sailing instructions should add BEFORE THE FOUR BOAT CIRCLE of the next mark. I have seen guys sail right up to the next mark and then try to do their turn with a bunch of boats headed for the mark.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby PegLeg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:07 am

Hey Guys

Doesn't anyone read the rules any more? The US Sailing rules (which we allegedly operate under) are quite specific about taking penalty turns. Please read rules 44.1, 44.2, 22.2, 20.2, 31.2 and especially rule E4.4 which specifies that a 360 degreee turn is applied to radio control yachts. <b>There is NO ambiguity</b>!

However, a racing rule, other than 76.1 or 86.1, may be changed in the <b>written</b> sailing instructions as long as it is done using rule 86.1b with the limitations of rule 86.1c for one design classes as an overide.

Now; I could interpret this for you but it would deprive sailors of an opportunity to read at least one good book. The "armchar lawyers" out there would benefit by joining US Sailing for which you will receive an official book of rules at no additional cost.

Peter G. Kremlick
US Sailing, Certified Judge
[}:)]
PegLeg

Return to Regatta Stuff