Triangle Cup

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Triangle Cup

Postby gcobley » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm

It's time to get one last regatta in before the summer hiatus.

The Triangle Cup is in 2 weeks on June 23rd and 24th on lake crabtree in Morrisville NC (near Raleigh Durham Airport).

You can Register Here or from the AMYA schedule or our club website http://trianglemyc.org

Hope to see you there.
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Re: Triangle Cup

Postby gcobley » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:53 am

Time to get your registration in.
I will be out of town from the 15th so I need to decide if we hold this event or not by the end of this week.
Right now it is in jeopardy. I can't ask my club to support a regatta for 5 skippers.

Soooo CLICK HERE
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I heard there are only 5 or 6 signed up for this regatta and it might be cancelled.

That sure would suck. I really would like to see everyone within a 4-5 hour drive think hard about going and get your entries in today.

I am 10 hours away but giving it a serious thought to see if I can make it.

Come on people, sign up today.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby gcobley » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks Joe.
We are up to 7, so we will go ahead and run the regatta.

Last minute entries are OK, but I'd prefer to know this weekend ;-)
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby steve h » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 am

I guess I'll make #8. Registered this morning. Dont expect much outta me this weekend. :mrgreen:
#1988 and #1858...aka Frank's boat
steve h

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Good luck everyone. I tried to work out a way to get up there, but there was too much on my plate this week. Maybe a few more will show up. The good news is you will get lots of racing in.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm

I would like a picture of Rick Ferguson actually sailing an EC12 this weekend. Good luck to all.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Re: Triangle Cup - Results

Postby gcobley » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:03 pm

Class: EC12 - Date: June 23rd & 24th 2018
Location: Lake Crabtree County Park, NC - Host Club: Triangle MYC #28
# Entries: 8 - Winds: 10-15 mph SW
Races: 30 - Scoring: Low point
Organizer: Gerry Cobley - Race Director: Tom Rummage & Tony Corkell

Saturday:
Eight skippers started and quickly found the conditions challenging to say the least. Several 5 minute holds for broken boats were called as the morning progressed. At one point only 4 boats were capable of being on the start line. Rick Ferguson decided he would test the autopilot on his boat right before lunch as it lost radio contact while beating for the opposite shore. When he retrieved it, the cause was apparent as his boat was ¾ full of water. He retired for the day.
Even with the windy/choppy conditions, the skippers were as well behaved as I have seen in a long time. While there were fouls there were no foul or loud mouths. That makes being RD so much easier.
Star of the day was Gerry Cobley. His string of bullets was a mile long. While it was survival conditions at times, I would say most everyone had a fun if challenging day.

Sunday:
Lighter winds on Sunday allowed a mix of A and B rigs and the completion of 13 more races to get to 30 overall and 4 throw-outs. Racing was ended as the wind returned, 2 boats were disabled in a collision, and Steve Helander finally managed to beat Gerry…

Thanks to all, and particularly to Tom Rummage and Tony Corkell, our RD’s and to Chase Thomas, Rick Ferguson and Denise Ferguson for help with drinks, lunches, scoring etc.

Place Skipper Score
1 Gerry Cobley 27.0
2 Steve Helander 65.0
3 Ron Small 78.4
4 Dennis Headberg 103.6
5 Bo Jones 131.0
6 Herb Roy 150.0
7 Rick Ferguson 173.0
8 Bill Morris 232.0
Gerry
gcobley
Site Admin

Postby steve h » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 am

I believe I was fortunate enough to beat Gerry three times over the course of the weekend, two with a hastily assembled, never sailed B rig. I was very happy with that result, considering the lack of time on the water I've had. Scoring may have been a tiny bit closer if I didnt miss those three races walking back from my demasting and making repairs. If I would have known the water was neck deep on Saturday, I would have just waded across the cove to get it (like I did on Sunday recovering Dennis's boat) :mrgreen:

Even Rick nailed a bullet on the fleet, before he went Autoboat. :mrgreen:

Thanks to the entire TMYC group, for putting on a great event, and making the most of the conditions. Surfing the 1-2ft rollers on the downwind leg trying to hang onto the death wobble was quite "invigorating". I couldnt have imagined 15 boats on the line
#1988 and #1858...aka Frank's boat
steve h

Return to Regatta Stuff