2018 NATS

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2018 NATS

Postby dplin2001 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 pm

What happened to racing Thursday friday Saturday? Or is the schedule a typo?
Dave
dplin2001

Re: 2018 NATS

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Host club requested that the this be tried as if might improve attendance, Joe approved one time experiment.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby efreeland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Where is the schedule posted for the 2018 Nationals - I’ve looked all over this site.
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby bigfoot55 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Dates are posted to the class sailing schedule as well as the Amya schedule. NOR in progress will be out shortly. Update in the next News.
I also posted an update when it was finalized. Removed it when the schedule dates were changed.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby efreeland » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 am

With Monday the 12th being a Holiday, the new schedule could work out well for many.
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby dplin2001 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 pm

We lose half a day of sailing and no banquet. I have a 9 hour drive and need a whole day to drive. I'm not driving 9 hrs after sailing half a day Sunday. So, unfortunately I'm out unless we sail Thursday Friday Saturday and banquet.
Dave
dplin2001

Postby efreeland » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

I think this format work better for the local sailors but it doesn’t change the number of days for travelers.

On the Thur - Sat Format you had to travel part of Tuesday and Wednesday if you wanted to practice. Or just all day Wednesday.

On the Fri - Sun format you can start driving home Sunday if you want and you travel Wednesday and Thursday if you want to practice.

Same number of days off work or away either format. You do lose the banquet but there can still be a gathering Saturday, just no awards.

With Veteran’s Day being Monday many will have the day off this year.

With it being in Florida I doubt attendance will be an issue, with it further South the location makes it harder for northerners anyway.
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 am

There will be a dinner on Sat night, only the awards for this regatta will be done on Sunday after sailing. Every other feature of the banquet will be on Sat night. All will likely attend instead of some splitting after sailing on Sat as has been common.
Sure there are other opinions on this pro and con that will be considered for the future. Will see how it goes. hope you will be there.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby efreeland » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 am

The challenge here is it does interrupt two weeks of work for those who don't have the day off Monday. (Like me, something I just thought of) It is the same number of days off but it does make the trip home two days (an extra hotel night) and makes it more of a challenge to rent a house on a weekly rental.

Without a house rental and an extra hotel night it certainly adds cost to the regatta.

Likely to help the local fleet/sailors but not those who may travel. While there may more be there for a Saturday night event, they will likely leave before awards on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing the schedule and how late you plan on sailing Sunday and if that ends up being a half day versus a full day.

It is hard to make all of us happy as we all have different needs, this is a big change for what has been a norm for years. If your goal is to drive attendance I think you will get that from locals. I've been wanting to return for a few years and keep facing challenges, might be another year.....

Thank you for everyone who invests the time organizing and volunteering during regattas so others may sail.
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby daramos » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 pm

This issue with the change to the sailing dates was partially discussed in Charleston and personally I am NOT in favor of changeing from the traditional Thurs,Fri, Sat format. It has not been clearly explained to me why this change was made and the reasons for it. If the organizers are looking to get more to the banquet then have it Friday as you propose and the awards at the pond on Sat. This way those that want to get on the road after sailing on Sat can do so and those that have a long drive like anyone up here in region two (16-18 hrs one way) have a full day Sunday to get back home and ready for work Monday. Loosing Monday to travel time is more disruptive to those working than the traditional dates whitch has everything sailing and travel condensed into one week. Chicago and Detroit and VT sailors have even longer drives.

The other thing that I am conserned about is the old format has three full days of sailing for the National Championship. While the NOR is not out yet I would be opposed to any shortening of sailing time on Sunday so people can get on the road. Reducing sailing time when I and looking at 32 hours and NJ sailors are looking at 36 hours round trip in the car makes attending harder to justify with these huge travel times.

I look fwd to seeing the NOR
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby Merv49 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 pm

daramos wrote:This issue with the change to the sailing dates was partially discussed in Charleston and personally I am NOT in favor of changeing from the traditional Thurs,Fri, Sat format. It has not been clearly explained to me why this change was made and the reasons for it. If the organizers are looking to get more to the banquet then have it Friday as you propose and the awards at the pond on Sat. This way those that want to get on the road after sailing on Sat can do so and those that have a long drive like anyone up here in region two (16-18 hrs one way) have a full day Sunday to get back home and ready for work Monday. Loosing Monday to travel time is more disruptive to those working than the traditional dates whitch has everything sailing and travel condensed into one week. Chicago and Detroit and VT sailors have even longer drives.

The other thing that I am conserned about is the old format has three full days of sailing for the National Championship. While the NOR is not out yet I would be opposed to any shortening of sailing time on Sunday so people can get on the road. Reducing sailing time when I and looking at 32 hours and NJ sailors are looking at 36 hours round trip in the car makes attending harder to justify with these huge travel times.

I look fwd to seeing the NOR

Seems like it would have been very easy to put this move away from traditional scheduling to a vote by the sailing membership via this forum.
Merv49

Postby bigfoot55 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 am

The National Championship Regatta is organized by the local host club. While there have been some things that might be considered 'we always do it that way', there have been variables in many. The host club has traditionally been given leeway in organizing the event, as we need the effort of local clubs to conduct an event. Ernest said it well- 'Thank you for everyone who invests the time organizing and volunteering during regattas so others may sail.'
I was present in the discussion on the issue at Peachtree City, and it was discussed at length among the host representatives and the Class Secretary who did not endorse it.
So far, there have been only a few express their opinions either way to the Class Sec'y, Regatta Coordinator or here.
Feel fee to express your opinion here and to the contact person for the Sun Coast Club, John Stacey. It is up to them. Web site usually goes up with NOR 6 months in advance (April).
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby efreeland » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Tom - I was not given the belief that the Nationals format was up for discussion. I wanted to host it awhile ago at Sandy Point State Park, I was told there was a certain set of criteria that needed to be met so that the Nationals was consistent for sailor. It was also told that there was a certain level of things people expected when attending Nationals and that they needed to be adhered to. That my venue didn't meet the requirements.

To note this was asked awhile ago and under different leadership. So I am refreshed to hear that viewpoint has changed. I thought the criteria was stringent and made it hard to spread out the burden of hosting nationals. I do think my venue would have worked and offered much of what you need/want.

Facilities are important but what is also important is the amount of sailing time. With some of the changes made to Nationals to shorten the number of day ie measurements I always took away that there was a lot of respect to the three full days of sailing. Which I valued that being protected, when some proposed shortening it.

Yet we all need to remember is we need people willing to take on the huge task to host these. Only so many clubs have the desire and ability to do so, you don't want to burn them out. So thank you. The challenge is balancing it with keeping the sailors wanting to attend.

It is refreshing to see more openness. Why do we need to wait for the NOR to know when sailing is ending on Sunday, I am sure that is already figured out?

Ernest
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Not yet to my knowledge.

I will addres criteria for 2019 separately. Still looking for volunteers.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks for the input Ernest. Tom Phillips is going to move your latest post to a new topic to discuss the 2019 NCR and future ones as well. The criteria for the NCR is a good discussion to have. He won't be back at his computer until this afternoon, so don't look for it to be moved right away.

We do want to keep this topic going on the dates for the 2018 NCR. The reason for not posting the NOR yet, is we have not finalized it yet and also this discussion came up. The Punta Gorda folks are paying attention to this post and we are discussing it in private as well.

We welcome more input on this. Thanks
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff