2018 NATS

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2018 NATS

Postby efreeland » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:39 pm

No worries.

I certainly understand all the challenges and the balancing act this all takes. Lots of moving pieces to pull it all off.

Ernest
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:14 am

Some thoughts on the NCR at Punta Gorda in November:

1. In my opinion, the Florida EC12 guys should be called the EC12 Florida Class. A hundred Florida class members seem to stay in Florida for the annual big event. I would think that 90+% of Florida EC12 sailors are retired. I was told that the Friday thru Sunday racing schedule (vs. Thurs thru Saturday) this year was to accommodate Florida sailors for travel. Hmmmm. When the 2017 Atlanta NCR was held four guys from Florida showed up and they only had a half day drive to get there and home while Region 1,2, 4, folks had a very full day or two to travel. Personally, as a retired person, I don't care about what day we start and end but those who work do. Many of our skippers who work are small business owners and a federal holiday is not a factor. I suggest putting the schedule back to Thursday - Saturday and include a banquet Saturday night. That makes the NCR special.

2. Funding the NCR: I'm hearing the entry free could be in the $120 range. Entry fees should be $25 - $28 a day. For the NCR, without a banquet in the mix, the cost of entry should be under $85 including, drinks, lunch, skipper gift and trophies. At a full scale yacht club, like Tred Avon YC in 2016, we expect the food costs to be more significant because it comes with great staff service, tax and gratuity and we included continental breakfasts. Eating lunch at at picnic table in a park setting should not be more than $11 a person. With a really nice donated door prize program a NCR should be able to raise an additional $700+ which should go to the class, not the local fleet. Then the class, if possible, could support the following year's regatta to keep the entry fees at a reasonable figure. Remember the class has to fund large expenses like new molds or repair molds periodically. The $7 boat registration fees we pay for a new boat do not cover that.
Entry fees should be set to cover the regatta costs and not for a host fleet profit. Dinners that are off the entry fee should be no host. Most everyone likes to gather in the evening at a comfortable restaurant. The spouses in attendance appreciate an evening with friends.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Re: 2018

Postby daramos » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:15 am

I would have to agree with Dave Branning regarding holding the regatta Thur-Sat and while it may or may not be possible to change this years date back I would hope that moving fwd it does revert back to the original days.

Regarding the raffle I also beleave that the proceeds should go to the class and not to the regatta host. In this way the class can support the regattas on a case by case basis and have a source of revenue for the betterment of the class like molds and other improvements.
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby hedderick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:40 pm

I do hope everyone will make it to the 2019 Nationals. I haven’t seen many of you in awhile and look forward to the event. We should have 40+ boats!
I know most competitors, particularly those traveling a distance, want to sail as many races as possible. So, why not consider splitting the fleet into the top 20 and bottom 20 the last day. Then the top guys can battle it out and the bottom 20 could Race it out as well. Low cost consolation prizes could be given to the second fleet.
The advantage of this is it is possible to run A fleet, A fleet and then B fleet, B fleet reducing the number of in and outs. Also, protests don’t have to be resolved before the next fleet goes in.
This is common in other classes, but haven’t seen it done with the gorgeous EC-12s.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Dave_Branning wrote:Some thoughts on the NCR at Punta Gorda in November:

1. In my opinion, the Florida EC12 guys should be called the EC12 Florida Class. A hundred Florida class members seem to stay in Florida for the annual big event. I would think that 90+% of Florida EC12 sailors are retired. I was told that the Friday thru Sunday racing schedule (vs. Thurs thru Saturday) this year was to accommodate Florida sailors for travel. Hmmmm. When the 2017 Atlanta NCR was held four guys from Florida showed up and they only had a half day drive to get there and home while Region 1,2, 4, folks had a very full day or two to travel. Personally, as a retired person, I don't care about what day we start and end but those who work do. Many of our skippers who work are small business owners and a federal holiday is not a factor. I suggest putting the schedule back to Thursday - Saturday and include a banquet Saturday night. That makes the NCR special.

2. Funding the NCR: I'm hearing the entry free could be in the $120 range. Entry fees should be $25 - $28 a day. For the NCR, without a banquet in the mix, the cost of entry should be under $85 including, drinks, lunch, skipper gift and trophies. At a full scale yacht club, like Tred Avon YC in 2016, we expect the food costs to be more significant because it comes with great staff service, tax and gratuity and we included continental breakfasts. Eating lunch at at picnic table in a park setting should not be more than $11 a person. With a really nice donated door prize program a NCR should be able to raise an additional $700+ which should go to the class, not the local fleet. Then the class, if possible, could support the following year's regatta to keep the entry fees at a reasonable figure. Remember the class has to fund large expenses like new molds or repair molds periodically. The $7 boat registration fees we pay for a new boat do not cover that.
Entry fees should be set to cover the regatta costs and not for a host fleet profit. Dinners that are off the entry fee should be no host. Most everyone likes to gather in the evening at a comfortable restaurant. The spouses in attendance appreciate an evening with friends.

The days don't matter to me because it is close to where I live, with it being Fri-Sunday, I don't have to take an additional day off as I'm not retired - so, I'm good with that. $120 is bloody pricey for 3 lunches of Publix subs, chips and soda and breakfeast of dunkin donuts and cups of Joe. That is $4,800. Whoa. If it is going for fabulous trophies, it isn't really equitable for all participants who are not really competitive and come to participate and just have fun. I agree that the banquet is special. I think regattas should break even and not be an enterprise. We lose money for valentines and our members donate a lot of food, etc. The pond at Punta Gorda is a small pond. 40 boats is too many in my opinion and will simply be a bumper fest which I hate. That said I'll be out if it is too crowded and too expensive.
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 am

I just want to break into this thread and correct something that keeps coming up.

THERE WILL BE A BANQUET DINNER AT PUNTA GORDA!.

It just won't include the awards this time. It will still have the door prizes and drawings.

Sorry to yell.

Also the club is having a meeting on the dates this Tuesday. We should have an answer for everyone shortly after that.

Thanks
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Dave_Branning » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 am

So here's how I understand the upcoming review of the 2018 NCR schedule (Thurs to Saturday or Friday to Sunday):

Lloyd: "What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me ending up together?"
Mary: "Not good."
Lloyd: "You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?"
Mary: "I'd say more like one out of a million."
Lloyd: "So you're telling me there's a chance. YEAH!"
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby jsteacy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Unfortunately it seems the organizing committee for this year's NCR seems to have as many leaks as the White House. Yes, during the process the dates did go back and forth. Nothing official was EVER published and the only "officials" in the loop were/are Joe and Tom. We have been seeking input and council from them all along. We being a committee of ten, many active EC-12 sailors, have been meeting since last summer in an effort to get this thing right. Well, as you all know, you can't please everybody all the time as the saying goes. Enough...............I want to thank those who have provided input. The cynicism probably wasn't necessary though. In spite of that we DID and ARE listening. In the end, the rational arguments favoring the Thursday-Friday-Saturday sailing schedule made a bit more sense and that is the way we are going. There will be a dinner Saturday evening at which the awards will be presented. The cost of the dinner, refreshments and lunches at the pond as well as a nice favor for the skippers will be included in the $125 entry fee. I'm confident of what my next note will be about but this is enough for now and, who knows, I could be wrong. (That's a little cynicism if you didn't get it.)

John Steacy
Chairman
John S.
jsteacy

Postby greerdr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 pm

I wish to thank all the Punta crew for stepping up for a Nationals.
Very hard job with TONS of planning.
I think the pond is big enough and they certianly have enough local talent to manage the racing.
I think all the input about sailing days is helpful and look forward to a great regatta.
Can't wait to see you all there!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 am

Well that is settled. Now the work begins on planning and getting a Website up with all the information. Please give us a little time to get it done. It won't be too long.

Thanks John Steacy and all your PG crew. We are looking forward to a well run, enjoyable regatta.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby yachtie » Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Now that's sorted I have booked and paid for my flights so c ya there in November - need to get in early as there was great flight deal from NZL - cheaper than my last trip over :-) :mrgreen:
yachtie

Postby greerdr » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Sorry about the late response,
Do you need a boat?
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby greerdr » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 pm

P.S.
Where do you enter USA?
Miami is a best pick-up from palm beach.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby yachtie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 am

Hi Doc

Enter at San Francisco then across to Orlando. Choices from NZL are SFO, LAX or G=Houston - all direct from Auckland with Air New Zealand (and others to SFO & LAX) and from November also direct to Chicago :-)

Will spend jet lag time around Orlando then hire a car and down to Punta Gorda on the Tuesday night and after event a quick blast down to Key West followed by back up east coast and fly out of Orlando again.

King Ramos bringing me a boat thanks.

Chris
yachtie

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff