2017 Tilghman Regatta RCR

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2017 Tilghman Regatta RCR

Postby Dave_Branning » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Ahoy EC12 Skippers:
Pay attention here, because I'm going to save you some time. While you are enjoying this missive, you will be able to register for not one but two great events in R2 coming up in the next few weeks. Need a break at the Jersey Shore....try the Roar at the Shore on August 19-20 at Spring Lake, NJ....a block from the beach. Here's the link to all you need to know: http://www.ec12.org/Regattas/2017/2017SpringLake_NOR.pdf . Skip Hall and the Marbleheaders of Spring Lake are the hosts and, if we're lucky, Jerry Franko could be on the scene, if it doesn't rain, maybe. So bring the family, send 'em to the beach and laugh it up with friends.

OK, that's one regatta you registered for, now on to the 2017 Tilghman EC12 Regatta which is three weeks after The Roar at the Shore. . This is the R2 RCR. The date is September 9-10 and the NOR and Registration link is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj_WcSDQB5EdkV2WHhlcDBQZFU/view
But wait, there's more. The Santa Barbara NCR aka Santa Barbara Open Water Challenge is three weeks after the Tilghman EC12 Regatta. So we have added a Santa Barbara Practice/RACE Day on Friday, September 8th, the day before the Tilghman EC12 Regatta. We'll go 11 am to 4 pm for practice and then whip up some social extravaganza. This will give you SB owners a shot at open water, where these big girls love to dance. As an added bonus, if you act now, I will be glad to store up to 5 SB's in my garage/shop so you do not have to schlep your SB home and back again in three weeks. First come, first served. Let me know.

Let's summarize:
1. Register for the Roar at the Shore ...it's in 2 weeks.
2. Register for the Tilghman EC12 Regatta....it's three weeks after Roar at the Shore
3. Plan on SB practice racing, Friday September, 8th, at Tilghman
4. Plan on a ton of social interaction and ball busting...

Who's Coming to the Tilghman EC12 Regatta as of 9/5:

Don Ouimette...honorary member of R2. Don just won the R1 Star 45 RCR in Needham, MA. He's hot!
Scott Smith....from West Virginia....must have heard Tilghman was awesome.
Mike Campbell...he's got a SB and an EC12 so he's all in
Jim Flach.....rising star in the EC12 Class...with new sails....killer!
Brian Kerrigan.....another R1 stalwart; heard Tilghman was the place to be for open water racing plus crabs & beer and......his brother lives up the road.
Harry Mote....Spring Lake Marbleheader....loves the Eastern Shore and does well here.
Dave Branning.....haven't raced in this one in two years. Looking forward to it.
Cape May Ray Szulczewski.....always having fun and improving every regatta.
Roger Baldwin....should win the "travel the farthest" award....coming from Park City, UTAH.
David Brawner.....#53 will be on the scene with a SB and EC12.
Dave Ramos......looked me in the eye and said, "I'll be there."
Victor Oberg.......great he's back! Had fun at Spring Lake.
Mark Rinehart.....loves the open water ....defending regional champion & former Nat'l
Fred DeSantis....looking at new sails and that sling shot port tack gotcha start.
Scott Graf.....always makes that blue boat very competitive.
Domenick Bonnano....Spring Laker with travel ready, Judy....camera on board.
Jamey Betz.....another National Champion in the mix. Awesome fleet.
Danny Thomas....bring on the champions. We could round this out with Gerhard, Reichard and Jarl...JUST SAYIN'!
Chris Bock...is a maybe at this time.

Class Secretary's name goes here.....

So get on it, guys. Fun times ahead!
Last edited by Dave_Branning on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Re: 2017 Tilghman Regatta RCR

Postby Dave_Branning » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 am

More Great News: Ken Shaw, newly retired, with loads of free time, has agreed to be the RD for the 2017 Tilghman Regatta. He will be supported by professional RC team-mate, Skip Hall and a crack team of scorers, lunch caterers, chase boat operators and an audience of Tilghman On Chesapeake spectators. Thanks, Ken & Skip for your help.
Registrations are starting to build but we are missing many from Spring Lake, NJ and Mt Laurel, NJ and Hagerstown, MD and Columbia, MD and Highland, MD, to be specific. :P
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am

That was fun. But the fun started on Friday when a Santa Barbara Regional Championship was held at Tilghman On Chesapeake TC and Marina. We are holding the Nationals in this class in three weeks so we gathered five boats and eight skippers for an event. This regatta will get more coverage in future national publications but suffice is to say that Roger Baldwin is the new 2017 Santa Barbara Regional Champion. Well done, Roger.

And NOW the Tilghman Regatta Report:

Two days of great big blue sky weather and fresh 10-17 knot N-NE winds was what we ordered and that's what came in the package. Add Vagabond Breakfasts at Two If By Sea restaurant, two nights of lively dinners plus relaxing lunches in the Tilghman On Chesapeake clubhouse (enthusiastically served up by Elaine Hepkin), and you have a complete regatta package. But wait....there is much more. We hired Ken Shaw and Skip Hall as Race Committee plus John Tochko and Roger Vaughan in the chase boat. This was the absolute best committee we could possibly get in this budget category. Seriously, the regatta was in great hands from start to finish. This was Skip Hall's third RC volunteer event in the Colonial Cup series this year. Tremendous. Thanks to all who helped and to Judy Bonanno and Jim Flach who will share gobs of great pictures shortly. If you were at this regatta, Judy, for sure, captured you, your boat and possibly your car on film. She is ever alert for the candid for everyone.

OK, we did do some racing. Twenty boats started on Saturday but unfortunately we lost Jamey Betz to an oncoming cold; Mark Rinehart to a Sunday art show, or was it a car show; and Fred DeSantis to fretful night's sleep worrying about his C and C sailboat tied up to a Marco Island, FL dock.

From the Saturday beginning it was David Ramos showing the way by one point over Rinehart and five over David Brawner. Harry Mote, Don Ouimett, Scott Graf and Dave Branning followed. On Sunday most of the fleet started with B sails as the NE winds built up a good chop and a slight current. Tacking too soon for the weather mark resulted in several screams of "OH NO" and the obligatory gibe and 2nd attempt. Later in the day, after the lunch break, there was a good mix of A and B sails and some exciting tacking duels. Using the CESS POOL scoring system, the top six from Saturday, always raced against each other with some of the remaining fleet mixed in to have 14 boats on the line for every heat. In this system each skipper sails two races out of three, so in each set of three races you get a break for one. While Dave Brawner seemed distracted by the Redskin v. Eagles game, Danny Thomas managed to slip into second behind David Ramos. Harry Mote, a pond sailor, who loves the Choptank River chop, kept the game interesting as he finished in fourth just .4 of a point behind David Brawner. Jim Flach, in eighth after Saturday, climbed into a final fifth place placing with three seconds, and a first on Sunday.

Hats off to Cape May Ray, who sailed 8 races in the top ten, finishing in 10th place, his highest Colonial Cup regatta finish to date. Thanks to Don Ouimette and Brian Kerrigan, from Connecticut. Great additions who came to play with us. Special mention to Penny and Scott Smith from West Virginia who came our way for this one with big smiles, and a big truck full of Dark 'n Stormy makings for all us lushes who gathered around their tailgate after sailing (both days, as I remember). They made a lot of new friends and several offers to pay their entry for next year.

We concluded the festivities with a fleet picture (to be published soon) holding a sign of good luck and well wishes to our Florida EC12 families who were hunkered down for Irma.

2017 Tilghman Regatta (R2 Championship) Results
Place Sail Skipper Points

1 05 Dave Ramos 18
2 405 Danny Thomas 23
3 53 David Brawner 25.6
4 56 Harry Mote 26
5 92 Jim Flach 33
6 93 Dave Branning 40 tie breaker
7 74 Scott Graf 40 tie
8 72 Don Ouimette 40 tie
9 60 Mark Rinehart 51 did not sail Sunday
10 21 Cape May Ray 51.6
11 888 Domenick Bonnano 55
12 29 Brian Kerrigan 57
13 49 Rick Boulay 62.6
14 6 Ernest Freeland 65
15 34 Jamey Betz 66 did not sail Sunday
16 75 Victor Oberg 67
17 49 Chris Bock 72
18 84 Roger Baldwin 82
19 50 Fred DeSantis 89 did not sail Sunday
20 04 Scott Smith 94
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:54 am

Hot off the press....Jim Flach, while racing to a terrific 5th place finish in this regatta, was able to capture the open water fun of a Tilghman experience. Thanks Jim for the great shots. Thanks to all the skippers and team who made this a great weekend.
[url]
https://regatta.smugmug.com/2017-EC12-T ... mpionship/[/url]
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Ray Szulczewski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks Dave, for again running a first class event and many thanks to Ken, Skip for taking the time to do race committee. Also thanks to John and Rodger who did a great job helping rescue boats (I needed their help 3 times) and the rest of the crew who made a great weekend for all of us that raced. I had a fun weekend and I am looking forward to the next time that I get to sail there.

I have only been sailing an EC-12 for a few years, but love the boat and the whole group of sailors in the class. As competitive as sailing gets on the water (which is the way it should be) when the racing is over they are like family. As a relatively new EC-12 sailor it is a privilege to race against so many of the top guns in the class. (the tougher the competition, the faster you improve.) On land, in-between races help is always available, whether is is just answers to questions or physical help with a boat problem.

I would like to publicly thank Dave Ramos for helping me replace a jib tweeker servo just minutes before the start of the second days racing started. (It was a push to get it in even with his skills) I would of never made it in time if I had to do it on my own. Everyone knows Dave is a tough competitor on the water, but he is always there to help in anyway that he can off the water. With helping me he just barely had time to rig his boat and that really shows some character and I really appreciated it.

Great pictures Jim. It is always adds to the fun when you get to see some great shots of the racing action and looking forward to seeing Judy's pictures when they are available.

Overall, having such a great time made the long drive home seem a little shorter.
Ray Szulczewski

Postby Dave_Branning » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

20170910-IMG_5847-Ma.jpg
20170910-IMG_5847-Ma.jpg (118.58 KiB) Viewed 13964 times

Thanks for your note, Ray. You are one of the best competitors on and off the water. Always enjoy your upbeat attitude. And, you're sailing better all the time.

A Dark 'n Stormy to the first person who can identify all the great folks in this Tilghman Regatta group picture.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 am

Freshly produced pictures from the Tilghman Regatta thanks to Judy Bonanno. If you were near this regatta you are in this package. Thanks, Judy for taking the time to shoot our regatta.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qb4mdjjopvyzj7f/AACPrCcxPCeLluW246_8V4qPa?dl=0
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Dave_Branning » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 am

OK, my bad. Judy Bonanno had two files representing the two days of EC12 racing in Tilghman. I only posted the second day link. Here are Day One and Day Two from Judy to you all. Enjoy and thanks, Judy

DAY ONE https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1uk7mqheqtzcue9/AAAPMN-aH24g3kf8Vnn9hhhXa?dl=0

DAY TWO: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qb4mdjjopvyzj7f/AACPrCcxPCeLluW246_8V4qPa?dl=0
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby yachtie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 am

Identifying all,

Roger Baldwin, Dave Branning and who really cares about the rest anyway :lol: ESPECIALLY the BIG guy holding the trophy (love ya really DR)
yachtie

Return to Regatta Stuff