HEAT WAVE- ONE DAY REGATTA JACKSONVILLE

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

HEAT WAVE- ONE DAY REGATTA JACKSONVILLE

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

http://www.floridaec12.com/HeatWave_NOR.pdf

HeatWave-Regatta.jpg
HeatWave-Regatta.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 13435 times

Notice of Race
EC-12 Regatta
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Hosted by Jacksonville Model Yacht Club
Why Only One Day, Because That Is All The Heat We Can Take!

Rules: You can find them in the Racing Rules of Sailing, and Appendix E.

Eligibility: The regatta is open to all skippers with EC-12 Class boats. OR, give us some notice and we might be able to bring you a boat to sail. Forget about Sailing Instructions.

Schedule: Skippers meetings 9:52 and 12 seconds AM
Races begin at 10:03 and 31 seconds AM, racing concludes around 4:00 PM.

Location: St. Augustine Hotel & Suites, 475 Commerce Lake Dr, St. Augustine, FL 32095.
Exit I 95 at Exit 323 on to International Golf Pkwy East. Hotel is immediately on right.
Entry: Skippers may enter by emailing Joe Walter and telling him you are coming. Please bring $5 for your lunch and water. If you bring a guest, bring $137.28 for their lunch. I’m kidding.
Scoring: The regatta will be scored using the Low Point Scoring method of RRS Appendix A.
The WINNER of each heat MUST pick up the clip board and write down the scores for the rest of the boats finishing. WHY? Because we probably won’t have an RD.
Prizes: Prizes, PRIZES.... You can’t be serious!
Please enter by emailing Joe Walter at floridaec12@comcast.net and let him know you are coming.
Or call him at (904) 268-6540 if you can’t figure out how to use email.
Entries must be received by July 15, 2017... Oh shoot, just show up.
Here is the information for the hotel so you can find it or if you wanted to come stay the night.
St. Augustine Hotel & Suites at World Golf Village
On Interstate 95 at Exit 323
475 Commerce Lake Dr.
St. Augustine, Fl. 32095
Phone: (904) 940-9500
E-mail: frontdesk@worldofgolfresort.com
http://www.worldofgolfresort.com
Exit 323 at I-95
(NAV: 29°58’59.50” N, 81°27’22.62” W)

REGATTA 2017 • JACKSONVILLE MYC
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: HEAT WAVE- ONE DAY REGATTA JACKSONVILLE

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

Entries so far:

1. Joe Walter - Jacksonville
2. Tom Germer - The Villages
3. Jim Rutherford - The Villages
4. Tom Phillips - St. Augustine
5. Brenda Pardee - Tallahassee
6. Alan Perkins - The Villages
7. Liz Perkins - The Villages
8. Jim Pardee - Lakeland
9. Chuck Millican - Bluffton, SC
10. Ned Neilsen - Bluffton, SC
11. Frank Ligon - Palm Coast
12. Robert Greer - Palm Beach Gardens
13. Jon Luscomb - Juno Beach
14. Tim Benner - Jacksonville

Possible Entries:
Danny Thomas - Highland, MD
Reichard Kahle - Charleston, SC

Updated 7.12.17
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am

One week to go. I need to know who is sailing so I can order sandwiches and buy enough water. See the list above. This is going to be a fun regatta.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 pm

We have 13 boats signed up now. Still waiting on a few of my locals to sign up.

I hear John Goldsworthy is also a possible.

I am very excited about the response to the regatta. We figured a small turnout, but now I may need to put a cap on the entries so we can keep it one fleet.

See you at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am

Just a few days left to tell me you are sailing.

The weather forecast is pretty typical for this time of year. Scattered thunderstorms and hot. We experience some kind of rain fall just about every day. Usually it comes around 4:00 to 5:00 pm, so hopefully it will miss us. But I won't tell you about this past weekend at the pond. There is a prediction of 9 mph wind from the SSW. Not the favored direction for our lake, but better than no wind.

See you at the lake.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 am

Tomorrow is the big day for our Heat Wave regatta. Unfortunately Danny and Reichard will not make it down after all. It would have been great to have them here. Also, Tom Phillips is now a maybe because he just got his wife, Cheryl, home from the hospital and she is still recovering. His attending depends on how well she feels and if he has some help to sit with her while he plays toy boats.

The weather forecast is looking pretty good actually. 86 degrees that will feel like 93. Partly cloudy with only a 20 percent chance of rain and a favorable wind, ESE at 5mph building to 12.

We will sail one fleet and take a break after every three races, so we can find some shade and HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Well the Heat Wave regatta did not disappoint in the HEAT department. The temperature was around 94 but with the heat index it felt like 102. It was also sticky wet out there. The wind did not settle in like it was supposed to. It kind of played with us for a while. Frequent shifts as big as 180 degrees and speeds from nothing to 5 mph. And that was all in one heat. We sailed 6 races before lunch on a short course but with 5 legs so it did not seem short. Alan Perkins was up front most of the time as usual, but he was being chased hard by Chuck Millican. Lunch was delivered to the shore from the Publix Deli department. All these years of having someone drive over to pick it up seems silly now. I had no idea they delivered until this week.

Anyway, after lunch the wind started to fill in and Jon Luscomb set out in the chase boat to make a longer course. It was a very nice course and we were all getting happy about sailing in some consistent wind. But after just two more heats, the sky opened up. The rain was supposed to stay away until after 4:00, but it hit us around 2:30. It didn't last long, but there was more coming with lots of lightning. One-by-one, skippers decided they had had enough and did not like the thought of any more rain with lightning, so we called it a day and tallied the scores.

Score keeping, by the way, was done by the first and second place skippers of each race. First place would pick up the clipboard at the finish line and second place would help call out the rest of the finishers. I don't have to tell you that Alan Perkins did most of the score keeping. Chuck Millican had his share of writing down scores as well, but when he did one time, we had to send the chase boat out to rescue his boat from the trees on the far shore.

1. Alan Perkins 10
2. Chuck Millican 22
3. Joe Walter 28
4. Robert Greer 29
5. Jon Luscomb 32
6. Liz Perkins 51
7. Tom Phillips 52
8. Tim Benner 54
9. Brenda Pardee 55
10. Jim Rutherford 59
11. Tom Germer 62
12. Jim Pardee 63
13. Frank Ligon 86
14. Ned Nielsen 87

All protests were settled on the water and they were few. I made a rule at the skipper's meeting that said anyone who does not do a turn on the water, will go to a mandatory protest hearing where ALL the other skippers will be judges. Not sure if that is the reason we had no protest hearings, but it was nice that everyone got along on the water. I did hear a lot of good communications between skippers. This was good to prevent issues at the marks. Still there were a few protests, but I did not hear any arguing about it. That is the way it should be.

We did not promise any prizes for this regatta, but Tom Phillips picked up two bottles of Datil Do'it Hot Sauce made here in St. Augustine. We gave Alan Perkins a bottle for coming in first and we gave Ned Nielsen a bottle for coming in last so he takes home a little something to forget about his frustrations and to feel good about sailing toy boats. I sure hope he comes back to sail with us again. We did challenge Alan to drink his whole bottle, but he declined.

I want to thank all the skippers for sailing clean and making this a really fun day in the heat. I really need to thank Tom Phillips for helping me unload the gear and drag it around to the lake shore. Thanks also to Jon Luscomb for jumping in the chase boat with me to help set marks. And, then later for taking the boat out again to pull marks. Thanks to Tom again and John Bottensek, Brenda Pardee, and Jim Pardee for helping me collect all the gear, including rolling up the RIB chase boat and loading up my van.

I think this One-Day regatta thing is a good idea, just maybe not in 100 degree weather with thunderstorms.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

HeatWave.jpg
HeatWave.jpg (240.84 KiB) Viewed 13248 times

The fleet of skippers from L to R. Tom Germer, Tim Benner, Liz Perkins, Brenda Pardee, Tom Phillips, My boat standing in for me as I take the photo, Frank Ligon, Jim Rutherford, Ned Nielsen, Alan Perkins, Chuck Millican, Jon Luscomb, and Robert Greer. Jim Pardee was there somewhere, but must have missed the photo op.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Jon Luscomb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

I had a very good time with the group. Thanks Joe and Tom for putting it together. The hot sauce was a great trophy!
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Return to Regatta Stuff