Palm Beach Gardens Valentine's Day Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Palm Beach Gardens Valentine's Day Regatta

Postby Jon Luscomb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:47 am

Come one Come all to the Palm Beach Gardens Model Yacht Squadron's 2017 Valentines Day Regatta on February 11th and 12th. Below is The Notice of Race.

http://www.floridaec12.com/PBG_NOR_2017.pdf

This regatta is known for the outstanding venue, FOOD and the Friday Night gathering. This year our club's Treasurer has graciously agreed to again host at his gorgeous home on the course. Rumor has it that live music may also be included.

Saturday's Lunch includes Jon's famous "No Bull" Chili, hot pizza, hot dogs and fresh baked treats by our girls. If you feel bad about your racing results, the food will fix that.

Saturday Night's dinner is planned for Carraba's Italian grill. MMMMM!

Below is the on line entry form.

https://form.jotform.com/62893597078980

I am looking forward to seeing you all come!
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Re: Palm Beach Gardens Valentine's Day Regatta

Postby georgeb2200 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:56 am

Less than a month away and the first 10 entries are signed up. You can keep current with the skippers list by clicking:

[url][/url]
https://www.jotform.com/grid/62893250342051
georgeb2200

Postby Jon Luscomb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 am

Hi everyone. Just in case you all have not registered and are looking to get warm, the answer is come to sunny south Florida to thaw. This regatta is known as one of the best on the winter circuit and should not be missed. Our Friday night pre regatta party is very snappy! Our pond is gorgeous! Our TROPHIES are of UNMATCHED AND UNPARRALELED TASTE AND DISTINCTION! So far we have 2 National Champions, the reigning Champions Regatta winner, our class secretary registered and a very deep fleet whom are ready to test their skills. So come on down, over or up and don't miss it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It is going to be a great time. SIGN UP NOW!
Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb

Postby RMDJBD » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am

George

Can you update the skippers list please.

Bob D
Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby georgeb2200 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Bob, Just click on the jotform link in the post above under the bold red. The system automatically updates as new registrations come in.
The fleet list can be found at:
http://www.floridaec12.com/fleet-list-PBG.html

See you Friday
georgeb2200

Postby Jon Luscomb » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:32 am

This weekend is coming quick. we are looking forward to a great weekend ahead.

Friday night Chester Brewer will be hosting a BYOB party at his house. Spiral cut glazed Ham, BBQ, Smoked Turkey with rolls and all the condiments necessary to do it right. We will also have live music! This is a BYOB, but setups will be provided. The party will begin at 6:00PM

Chester's address is:
837 Anchorage Drive
North Palm Beach, FL

Park at the Tarmac of America Building which is on the NW Corner of Anchorage Drive and US 1. It is two houses east of Chester's home. Please do not Park at Chester's home.

If you are staying at the Super 8 North Palm Beach Motel, Chester's home is 3 houses away and you can easily walk.

The Saturday Night Dinner will be at Carrabba's Italian Grill beginning at 6:00PM. It will be Dutch Treat.

Carrabba's Itallian Grill
11201 US HWY 1
North Palm Beach, Fl

The plaza is called City Center and there is a huge West Marine in there.

Looking forward to a fun time with everyone!
Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb

Postby jsteacy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:24 am

No Saturday results? The wind wasn't coming from under/over that big ______ tree, was it?
John S.
jsteacy

Postby DBrawner » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Well y'all missed a really good time this weekend. Thank you to Jon Luscomb and the entire PBGMYS for a great regatta. Lisa and I enjoyed catching up with old friends and making some new ones. Jon, you did an awesome job maximizing our chance to sail and milking every possible breath of air on the pond. Great job. To the Greers, thank you for hosting us.

Congrats to Reichard and Alan on another brilliant display on the race course. An even bigger Congratulations goes to Liz for not only getting into and staying in the A fleet, but for competing at the upper end of the fleet repeatedly. Her smile said it all today. Just seeing her success alone would have been worth the trip to PBG. Well done.

Thanks again for all the hospitality. Looking forward to next year already.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:43 pm

It was a great weekend in PBG. I had to do some work when I got home, so this is my first chance to post something. I am sure Jon will have full results posted soon. The folks at Palm Beach Gardens always put on a great regatta. Jon is a natural RD. He really did a great job and his crew were wonderful. Carl was an excellent chase boat driver, make that rower, no wait, driver, no row. I am sure they will have the outboard tuned up for the next regatta so it will run a little more reliably.

I don't have the scores, but I know it was just two points between Reichard and Alan:
1. Reichard Kahle
2. Alan Perkins
3. David Brawner
4. Joe Walter
5. Robert Greer
I think Liz Perkins was 8th or was it 9th, but she broke the top ten for sure.

Ken Morrison had nothing to do the whole weekend, so we conspired to have a major raft up on the last race just so he could feel needed. LOL. Seriously, we only joked about giving him a crazy protest. I guess we should not joke about things like that, because they came true.

Love the hand-crafted trophies too.

And thank you again to Chester Brewer for the wonderful Friday night party at his house.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby The OZ » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:32 am

[size=150]Well done Jon L, RD for regatta. You and the committee did outstanding work with trying conditions. Chester's party was great. Good to have these Friday night parties to met and greet new friends. Thanks. Dick Reinke, Yellow Bird.
The OZ

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:55 am

To Jon Luscomb and the whole PBG committee and HUGE THANK YOU FOR A GREAT FUN WEEKEND. You ran a tight ship and the whole weekend moved briskly along.
Secondly, congrats to Liz Perkins who sailed so well in tight frustrating conditions, staying out of trouble and demonstrating good boat handling.
I love coming to this event and to make it even better in years to come.....copper nails in that tree, please.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:42 pm

The 2017 Valentine’s Regatta/Region 7 District Championship festivities kicked off Friday evening at 6:00PM. Chester Brewer and Libby hosted 30 hungry sailors and friends to a lovely BYOB dinner buffet which included a large glazed spiral cut ham, slow cooked pulled BBQ pork, a nice smoked Turkey, rolls, drink set-ups and ice. PBG Model Yacht Squadron members added to the fare and brought light hor dourves for all to enjoy. No one was leaving hungry. The highlight of the evening was live guitar and songs by Rich Mojica. Rich is a professional musician working permanent gigs in our area and a new member of PBMYS. He sails Solings, RG 95 and EC-12’s. He played for nearly 3 hours and performed songs by Cat Stevens, Lowell George and the Beatles to name just a few.

The morning was stunning with an ESE breeze at 6-8 knots, a cool 60 degrees and a cloudless sky. Club volunteers arrived early to set up fresh brewed coffee, orange juice, donut holes, homemade banana bread, homemade lemon bars and homemade caramel injected brownies (whoa!). The sailors trickled in in various conditions from the previous night’s debauchery. The RD stalked the edge of the pond with a Great Blue Heron pinching grass, tossing it into the air and imagining possible race course mark combinations. ESE is not the best direction for this pond. A course was set, the opening ceremonies were complete and B-fleet took to the water in accordance with the Notice of Race at 9:30.

The Valentine’s Day Regatta was started by a few members PBGMYS circa 2004. Harry Strunk was one of those members. Sadly, Harry passed about two years ago before he turned 60. Harry’s family gave his EC-12 “Shamu” to Doctor Bob Greer. Shamu is unique because during her time in the mold, the gel-coat was shot to resemble a killer whale. Shamu was sailed in Harry’s honor by Bob this year.

The first race showed the RD that the course was going to work out well by creating challenges and many tactical opportunities. After four races, the cream began to come to the top of the fleet with the top five being R. Kahle 7, D. Brawner 10, A. Perkins 13, J. Walter 19 and C. Milican 25. The breeze was quite shifty – ranging from 10 to 90 degrees with the median locking in at South East. Lunch included pizza, hotdogs, and Luscomb’s homemade “No-Bull” Chili. Clearly everyone had an appetite by the time it was time to dig in.

At the end of the Day, 9 races were completed and the top 5 including one throw out were: R. Kahle 16, A. Perkins 18, D. Brawner 31 and J. Walter and E. Scavella tied at 34. The top two were very consistent to say the least. Reichert Kahle scored bullets in races 5 and six, but Alan Perkins finished the day closing the spread between he and Reichert with 3 bullets in a row! The Race Director ended the day a bit early at 3:30 as the wind shifted more easterly and began to fade. Everyone had a fun day, and behavior was as if the sailors were in church!

Dinner was Dutch treat at Carrabbas Italian Grill. The results of the day were displayed for all to see while cocktails flowed smoothly. Everyone enjoyed their dinners, the service and the company. Afterward, Bob and Kelly Greer led a group to the beach and water’s edge to admire the bright full moon on a gorgeous South Florida winter evening.

Sunday morning dawned with another post card weather day. Clear, cool and a surprising shifty NW breeze at 3 to 5 knots welcomed us to the pond – Perfect Conditions. Another fine spread of fresh brewed coffee, fruit and homemade baked goods were provided. The race director rallied the sailors to hurry up and get set with the goal of getting in as many races as possible before the forecasted easterly came in. One race for each fleet was completed before the wind began to fade as the gradient fought off the sea breeze.

After races 10 and 11, the top five changed. It was reported that Bob Greer had spent the evening in a sweat hut with Shamu eating peyote and channeling Carlos Caseneda's “The Teachings of Don Juan”. It worked! The top 5 raw scores after 11 races were: Kahle 32, Perkins 33, Brawner 42, Walter 62 and Greer 73. The last Race could decide the regatta. The wind had shifted to the east which made it impossible to set up a very challenging course. The first leg was set to be a long close reach making the pin end of the line extremely favored. A good start was critical. The 1 minute starting clock began as the 12 boat A-fleet jockeyed for position. The leaders luffed their way along the near shore end of the line on starboard tack with less than 15 seconds to go. One boat luffed on port tack at the pin as the clock ticked away. At 8 seconds the sails began to come in and the boats accelerated toward the pin. KAPOW! The one port tack boat did not clear the first starboard tack boat. The dominos began to fall with Perkins tangling with the port tack boat and Dave Branning tangling with Joe Walter. For the first time in two days, tempers came up. The crash boat was summoned to untangle them while Kahle sailed away free and clear to a second. After a four party hearing with Ken Morrison, Perkins, Walter and Branning all won redress. The offending port tack boat properly retired. After all that, Alan was still scored a second place which still was not good enough and evaporated his chances of catching Kahle. After 12 races the full results are:
1. Kahle 21
2. A. Perkins 23
3. Brawner 31
4. Walter 45
5. Greer 52
6. Scavella 61
7. Millican 64
8. Branning 68
9. L. Perkins 84
10. Reinke 87
11. Goldsworthy 96
12. Balaschak 102
13. Newman 106
14. Petersen 131
15. Vernon 132
16. Brewer 137
17. McMullen 140
18. Clarke 159
19. Pearce 185

Thank You to the Army of volunteers that cooked, cleaned, rescued boats, kept score and on and on. On behalf of the Palm Beach Gardens Model Yacht Squadron – Thank You all for coming and we look forward to hosting again in 2018! Fair Winds.
Jon Luscomb
Jon Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Super job by Jon and the Race Crew!
Exceptional race report-be sure to forward to AMYA.
We thank all who came and enjoyed the Valentines Regatta and look forward to seeing you all next year.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Return to Regatta Stuff