2016 Spring Lake R2 Championship

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

2016 Spring Lake R2 Championship

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:07 pm

The Roar At The Shore, AKA, the Spring Lake EC12 R2 Championship is May 21 & 22 in Spring Lake, NJ. This quaint but exclusive community is one of the treats in venues in the Mid Atlantic area. A block from the beach, one can appreciate the probable southeast breeze blowing perfectly down the lake's contour. Skip Hall, Regatta Chairman, has posted all the details (accommodations, driving directions, sailing instructions) you need to make this regatta a must do this Spring. Nothing like a weekend at the Jersey Shore. Host fleet is the Marbleheaders of Spring Lake #219

NOR: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwj_WcSDQB5ESzFOOWd1Q1RneFE

*ENTRIES: Online Entry at https://form.jotform.com/53155667644968 by MAY 8TH
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Re: 2016 Spring Lake R2 Championship

Postby Skip Hall » Wed May 04, 2016 7:58 pm

By all reports it appears everyone throughly enjoyed themselves at State College!! Congrats to all for another Excellent run regatta!! Great regatta report, one of the best if not best I've ever read.. Thanks again DB!

Now onto the next Colonial Cup Regatta in Spring Lake,NJ. Come and enjoy the best the Jersey Shore has to offer!! So far we have nine skippers registered:

Cape May Ray
Fred DeSantis
James Flach
Harry Mote
Bill Sysyn
Dave Branning
Roger Baldwin
Victor Oberg
Scott Graf
Domenick Bonanno
William Ewing
Dave Brawner
Jamey Betz
Dave Ramos
Dave Hammett
Jerry Franko
Danny Thomas

Thanks,
Skip Hall
Last edited by Skip Hall on Mon May 16, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby odj22sailor » Fri May 13, 2016 12:31 pm

What the updated entry list look like?
Dave Hammett
2013 Ramos Hull #2139
odj22sailor

Postby Skip Hall » Fri May 20, 2016 11:13 am

The field is now set at 14 skippers:
Cape May Ray
Fred DeSantis
James Flach
Harry Mote
Bill Sysyn
Dave Branning
Roger Baldwin
Victor Oberg
Scott Graf
Domenick Bonanno
Jamey Betz
Dave Ramos
Dave Hammett
Danny Thomas

Looks like it will be a wet Saturday, bring your rain gear. Speaking of rain, Jerry Franko will be sitting this one out, we know he doesn't come out in the rain….. We'll miss him for sure…...
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby Dave_Branning » Fri May 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Get a warm blanket, a comfy lounge chair under a tent and give him a score sheet and a pencil!
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Skip Hall » Sat May 21, 2016 5:46 pm

The Roar At The Shore ll was more like a whimper today. With overcast skies and temperatures in the low sixties and light wind out of the East North East at 5 mph, the racing began around 10:00am. Mike Campbell kept the races going as quick as he could considering the wind or lack thereof. After lunch the wind did increase to around 8mph out of the proffered direction ESE.We did sets of three and broke for 15 minutes all day, except for lunch.The skies opened up to the predicted rain around 1:30pm, so we sailed until there were 12 races and called it a day around 2:30pm. So after two throw outs here are the scores:

1-Jamey Betz. 18 points
2-Dave Ramos. 27 points
3-Danny Thomas 29 points
4-Harry Mote. 36 points
5-Scott Graf. 56 points
6-Jim Flach. 58 points
7- Dave Branning 65 points
8-Roger Baldwin. 71 points
9-Dave Hammett 78 points
10-Fred DeSantis 86 points
11-Dom. Bonanno 91 points
12-Cape May Ray. 93 points
13-Bill Sysyn. 122 points

We're hoping to sail at least six or more races tomorrow, hope the wind will cooperate and the threat of rain holds off.

Day two began much like Saturday, overcast and cool. The one exception was the sighting of Jerry Franko, AKA George Costanza, which was quite a surprise since we had a steady drizzle. We put him right to work before he could do yet another mic drop.... Back to the important business, Jamey Betz reeled off four bullets, 3 seconds, and 1 each third and fourth to rule not only the day but the entire regatta. We can still hear him saying "I killed them." The top three remained the same, Betz, Ramos and Thomas, the only position change was fourth and fifth. Jim Flach, sailing his newly painted silver bullet and DT sails, moved ahead of Harry Mote. Before I post the results I'd like to thank our RD, Mike Campbell, Bill Ewing, score keeping and Jerry Franko, Food and Drinks. Without their help this regatta could not of never happened. Thanks again guys!

We sailed 21 races with three throw outs, here are the final results:

Jamey Betz 31 points
Dave Ramos 46 points
Danny Thomas 48 points
Jim Flach 76 points
Harry Mote 96 points
Scott Graf 113 points
Dave Hammett 133 points
Dave Branning 147 points
Dom. Bonanno 151 points
Roger Baldwin 152 points
Fred DeSantis 153 points
Cape May Ray 171 points
Bill Sysyn 191 points

Thanks to all the skippers for such a Great event, all protests were resolved on the water and everyone was courteous to each other. Well done everyone!!!
Last edited by Skip Hall on Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 am

What a spirited well supported Roar At The Shore. Great job to the Marbleheaders who did all possible and more to make us visitors welcome and comfortable. A real shout out to DT and DR who helped so many of us with our tuning and advice. Personally, I thank Scott Graff who handled my boat for two days in and out of the water. Great support all around. Finally to all of you whom I made you alter your course and those who didn't, I am truly sorry for sitting and sailing. Incentive to get to PT more often and walk at the next event. Oh, and for just my information: What does Franko actually do for the Marbleheaders? Not even the donuts from Joey Baga Donuts.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby DT1405 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Another fun weekend racing the best R/C yacht around. Lot's of laughs to go around. Thanks to the Marbleheaders of Spring lake for hosting us again and personally to Skip Hall, Mike Campbell and Bill Ewing for giving their time to run a very efficient regatta and trying their best to work with a fickle changing breeze, well done guys! Congratulations to Jamey "I killed ya" Betz for winning and going back to back. You were just to good my brutha. DR and I were trying to reel you in and you extended. Excellent sailing for sure. Great sailing to all. The competition was top notch all through out the fleet, everyone is getting so much faster and better, not much room for error, that's for sure. Special shout out to Roger Baldwin for his continued improvement who personally gave me fits many times, :lol: Well sailed Rog. I agree w/Skip that Jim Flach and his Silver Bullet are indeed on the rise as we saw all weekend and punctuated by his win in the last race of the regatta. I'm happy for ya Flachy, you've done so much for the class w'your awesome picture taking, it nice to see you sailing great. Keep pushing. Thanks to all for a fun weekend.

DT
DT1405

Postby Dave_Branning » Thu May 26, 2016 7:52 am

For those of you checking out the posts on the Roar At The Shore I want to aim you to the 2016 Colonial Cup post I made yesterday to that topic on the Regatta Stuff page. Go there for the 2016 update after three events. [8D]
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Return to Regatta Stuff