2015 Jacksonville Regatta April 25/26

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2015 Jacksonville Regatta April 25/26

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:25 pm

A quick note about the Friday cookout. Jeff says he has chairs for about 20 people and we are over 30 on the list now. So you might want to bring your folding chair if you can. I will bring my 4 patio chairs as well.

Also, Jeff said there is a liquor store at the next traffic light past the light for his house, next door to Winn-Dixie. Just about a 1/4 mile.

See you all Friday.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 pm

The starting fleets for the P&R system have been posted to the Florida site: http://www.floridaec12.com/fleet-list-Jax.html

4 up and 4 down. 16 boats in A-fleet. 15 boats in B-fleet.

All my last minute entries I was hoping for have said they can't make it after all, but there might still be a surprise entry that could shift the fleets. Remember it is only your starting position with lots of racing to do.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Eight races scored today. Tornado warning cut racing short at 3:15. Rain came and went but never came down too bad until the last heat. The top five are:

1. Dick Hedderick 17
2. Bob Greer 33
3. Jack Ward 36
4. John Santoro 37
5. Ricky Gerry 39
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Wow what a great regatta. Today was just beautiful. Strong winds with both A and B rigs out. The sun was out for most of the day as well. A few times everyone wished they had C-rigs on. Three dismastings, and one big hole below the waterline were the low points of the day. None of them were from bad choices, but just major gusts that took people out of control. Dick Hedderick was on fire with 6 bullets in 15 races. His final score was almost half of that of second place. Only two points separated 2nd from 4th. The best part of the regatta was the loudest people on the course were the Race Staff saying "Boats in the water".

Big thanks to all the skippers for really clean sailing. And when mistakes were made, turns were done without an argument. I must also thank my staff for whom I could not have run this regatta. All the club guys who came out on Friday to set marks, put in the docks and clean up the shore and trim trees. To Jeff Witzel for hosting a great Friday Cookout. To Baron for his help with the chase boat and setting marks. To Tom Germer, Rick Noddin and Joe Ruschak for helping on the line and watching marks. To Cheryl Bremer for getting the lunch and to Karen Luscomb for helping set it up. To Garret Witzel for being "Boat Boy" all weekend. And finally to the most important helpers, our scorekeepers, Trish Gray and Pat Ruschak. Excellent job everyone. Oh, and a big thanks to Ken Morrison, our judge who only had to hear redress requests.

Thank you to Dick Hedderick for running the Florida EC12 Association these past three years. You did a great job. Looking forward to the next leadership team of George Balaschak, Chairman, Dan Pearce, Vice Chairman, and Larry Brannan, Treasurer.

Here are the scores:
1. Dick Hedderick 55
2. Jon Luscomb 91
3. Jack Ward 92
4. Alan Perkins 93
5. Bob Greer 103
6. Ricky Gerry 105
7. John Santoro 110
8. Jim Kaighin 113.8
9. Dave Lyons 128.4
10. Martin Gary 153
11. Brian Engle 200
12. Dick Reinke 202 Bubble Boy. Dick sailed in 22 out of 30 heats sailed. The average was 17 out of 30.
13. Tom Phillips 223
14. Scott Vernon 229 Tie Breaker. Scott was the guy who got the hole and missed the last three races.
15. Brenda Pardee 229
16. Gerd Petersen 238
17. Judith Clarke 246 Judy spent 5 races in a row in the A-fleet and made a necklace out of her clothespin.
18. John Goldsworthy 263
19. Liz Perkins 271
20. Dan Pearce 279
21. Ruben Caseres 294 Ruben's boat broke towards the end of racing and he missed two races
22. George Balaschak 303 George sailed all weekend with stitches in his belly from emergency gallbladder surgery. He finally had to stop sailing near the end, but put in such a great effort.
23. Richard Sbordone 306
24. Jeff Witzel 311
25. Jim Pardee 314.6
26. Larry Brannan 359
27. Dennis Headberg 376 sailing his first ever regatta in a boat he has owned for less than a month. Great job.

The top 5 for the Florida Championship are:
1. Dick Hedderick
2. Jon Luscomb
3. Alan Perkins
4. Bob Greer
5. Joe Walter (3rd place points for RD helped. otherwise it would have been Jack Ward in 5th)
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby The OZ » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Joe, you and your staff did a great job, adjusting the courses as needed, good time by all and yes I did get my monies worth sailing all those races. Dick Reinke Ec12-1936 :D :D
The OZ

Postby rs vernon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:52 pm

It was the best of times. It was not the best of times. Great job, Joe and large excellent staff. Especially thanks to Baron for retrieving my sinking boat just before it went glub glub. How can it take so long for an EC-12 with a bow shaped underwater hole to sink? It must have been filling up for at least 4 minutes. Not that I am complaining.

During my down (in the mouth) time I took a few poor quality photos of an A (13 images)and a B (9 images) pair of a late Sunday races. At least you can get an idea of the fabulous wind we had on Sunday. Strong, weak, puffy, streaky, shifty, great lake type wind. I need to figure out how to use that zoom feature on the camera.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159270250 ... C12Regatta

Scott
Last edited by rs vernon on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
rs vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:09 pm

I was at the other end of the course when the hole happened, but you can see by how low the hole is that Scott's boat was all the way over. I was told that he started rocking and rolling violently in a huge gust and then broached suddenly right in the path of the very fast moving Doc Greer. I heard the crunch from more than 100 yards away. I looked and could see the two boats stuck together with Doc's bow stuck well below the water for some time before coming apart. We all knew there was a hole and watched as Scott tried to sail the boat straight to shore. Yes Baron was fast with the rescue. He always is.

I know Scott will have this hole fixed in no time, if he has not already fixed it. :D
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:15 pm

One thing I forgot to talk about in my other post, was the close lightning strikes near the lake and the Tornado warnings on Saturday. We got the B-fleet finished in a down pour and then decided to quit for the day and start the A-fleet first on Sunday.

My older daughter Emily was at the "Rock Fest" mega concert in downtown Jacksonville were they did have the tornado on the ground for 3 miles. The concert was called off and refunds have been promised to everyone. We shall see if that happens. When I saw Emily later and the torn up jeans and cut up t-shirt she was wearing, I thought she had been swept up by the tornado, but NO, that is how she dressed for the concert. YIKES! Luckily, nobody was hurt and very little damage has been reported.

Since the tornado was more than 20 miles from us, we might have been able to finish the last A-fleet heat, but nobody complained about quitting early.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby greerdr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Scott,
Sorry about the hole and to continue a tradition I liked please give me a figure for ANY damage to hull,radio,battery,and what ever.
You are a great sportsman,and a pleasure to sail with.
I am very sorry about the incident;I know you had NO opportunity to prevent the round-up but still-please e-mail me at: greerdr@hotmail.com with the costs of repair.
I holed you and want to pay for the repairs and replacements.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby greerdr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Joe,
GREAT regatta!
Thanks for all the hard work that went into making this the highlight of the Fl series.
You and your crew did a spectacular job and everyone was impressed by how well the regatta went.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Update on the Rock Fest concert. No money is being refunded after all. Emily is very mad. She is out $125 for the tickets and another $40 in parking and bottled water. She waited 3 hours to get in as there was a lockout while they decided if they would hold the concert or not. Then she got in for only 20 minutes or something before everyone was sent packing again. But because it was a two day concert, they said they did in fact put on at least part of a show, so no refunds are being given now.

And as most of you fathers out there know, because she is out $165, I will soon be out $165. :roll:
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby hedderick » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks to Joe and the JACKSONVILLE group for a great regatta. And thanks to Jeff for a nice Friday night cookout.
The regatta felt like two regattas with Saturday being a light A rig day and Sunday a great B rig day with occasional blow out gusts... On Saturday my pedometer said I walked 12,500 steps and 7.5 miles. Sunday was 7,500 steps and 4.5 miles. No wonder we are all tired. Especially if we get the bubble boy award..
Speaking of awards, I am very proud to be the Florida Cup winner this year.
It is something I have been trying to do, but was not sure I would ever win the cup.
So thanks to all the RD's who put on our 6 Florida regattas and started 175 races.
Thanks to the 55 different skippers who participated in those regattas.
And thanks to the scorers who posted the 2500 scores this year.
See you all next season!
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby witzfl » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Thank you everyone who helped me clean up on Friday night and all those who contributed. It was my pleasure to have everyone get together for a social evening. I am adding the link below to pictures that Tom Germer took of the event. You should be able to download buy looking for a little arrow pointing down, I think in the lower right.

please let me know if you have any issues with this, witzfl@gmail.com.

Thank you

http://witzfl.smugmug.com/2015-EC12-JAX-REGATTA/2015-JAX-REGATTA/n-nZBW4t
witzfl

Postby Jon Luscomb » Fri May 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Congrats to Dick for sailing so well this year. Very consistent and clean sailing. Also thanks to Dick for the very fine job he did as the Florida Class Chair.

The RD work was really good and the army of volunteers did a great job. This venue is my favorite. It is so nice to go down stairs and toss the boat in the water. See you in the fall. Have a great summer everybody!
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff