Palm Beach Gardens Valentines Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Palm Beach Gardens Valentines Regatta

Postby georgeb2200 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 pm

The regatta has moved one week later than the traditional date. The date is Feb 21 & 22, 2015.
This is the 4th regatta of the Florida Winter Series. We would like to remind skippers in the frozen north that we welcome you to compete with us in this regatta. It is a perfect time to take a winter break, join the fun, calm those itchy thumbs, and prepare for the thaw when you can sail again on your local waters.
A welcoming party is planned for Friday night.
Judging this event will be the Honorable Kenny Morrison.
Race Director will be George Balaschak.
Online entry is open: http://www.FloridaEC12.com Click on regattas.
The Palm Beach Model Yacht Squadron would like to see you at this event.
georgeb2200

Re: Palm Beach Gardens Valentines Regatta

Postby Jon Luscomb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:00 pm

I AM COMING!

The Welcoming Party Friday night will be hosted by our own Culinarilly renown Chester Brewer. His house is crawling distance form the Super 8 Motel in North Palm Beach. He overlooks the North Palm Beach Country Club. The Super 8 is very clean and less than $100.00 per night. It is the cheapest and closest to the pond and Chester's house. 888-347-2319.

As you all know, our regatta is the highlight of the winter circuit ( We naturally think). We offer the best in homemade hot food at the pond. Our home baked goodies are fantastic and always run short no matter what is put out. You like Jon's No Bull Chile and hot dogs too. Couple that with the southern hospitality of Chester and you'll really miss out if you don't make it down.

Hope to see you all February 20,21,22 for great sailing, great food and great fellowship!
Jon Luscomb
"I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost!"
Jon Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

If you like wind-we usually have some(often plenty).
We enjoy close parking,great visibility of the marks,and often a max subscription.
We take pride in offering exceptional lunch and an exceptional race direction crew.
Please come join us for a great regatta.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby georgeb2200 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 am

Great News.
Gerhard Kelter has suggested that we hold a TUNE UP session on Friday of the race weekend. Tune up your knowledge of rules, tactics and the setup of your EC-12. And he has volunteered to be at the pond to help with his vast knowledge and experience.

And in an email from Alan Perkins "I'll be available to help the Friday of the PBG regatta with any issues with tuning, tactics, rules etc and Ken M will also be available for rules interpretation."

This is a terrific idea and great opportunity for all of us to improve our knowledge and enjoyment of sailing in the EC-12 class. Thank you Gerhard!
Plan on being at the pond Friday February 19 at 1:00 pm.
georgeb2200

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:39 am

This is always a fun regatta regardless of the weather. After Naples, another Florida in winter, what could be better??
Come and bring shorts and sun gear, also gloves, wooly hat, rain gear and layers. Ya never know. :lol: Looking forward to it.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby georgeb2200 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Entries are coming in and the following are signed up: UPDATED Feb 13 NOW AT 22 ENTRIES
Frank Vella
Dick Reinke
Tom Phillips
Larry Brannan
Fred Pfeil
Judy Clarke
Jim Kaighin
Doc Greer
Alan Perkins
Liz Perkins
Davis Branning
Steve Pfeil
Joe Walter
Gerhard Kelter
Chester Brewer
John Santoro
Jon Luscomb
Brian Engle
Dan Pierce
Terry McMullin
Fred Grecco
Scott Vernon

And I suspect and hope that we will have:
Dick Hedderick
Jack Ward
John Stacey
Bud Elder
Brenda Pardee
Jim Pardee
Bill Ewing
Jake Leo
Al Dion
Kevin Maclellan
Tom Germer
Doug Bowe
And Others
Come and join us in a great weekend of fun.
Last edited by georgeb2200 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgeb2200

Postby georgeb2200 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:30 am

We now have 21 signed up. I will accept entries up to a day or so, or less, before the regatta. In today's world of click-click entries and this kind of communication a late entry or two will not upset the apple cart nor me. Of course if we get 10 late entries it will challenge me but I'll welcome the challenge.

And the Farmers Almanac predicts "Feb 17-21: T-storms, then sunny, cool". That could just about cover it, except no mention of WIND. But judging from the past we have had Some, an More, and Less.
georgeb2200

Postby hedderick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Here is the current initial fleet designations. We now have 24 entrants. We will move 4 up and down. Weather forecast looks like sunny and mild!

A Fleet
Alan. Perkins
Joe. Walter
Jonathan Luscomb
robert greer
Gerhard Kelter Jr
Steve Pfeil
jim kaighin
FRED PFEIL
Scott Vernon
David Branning

B Fleet
Martin Gray
tom phillips
Dick. Reinke
Brian. Engle
John. Santoro
Frank Vella
Liz Perkins
Fred. Greco
Chester brewer
Dan Pearce
Judy. Clarke
Larry. Brannan
Terry McMullen
Michael Vanover
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:12 pm

What a winter...I had to shovel 7" of snow today to get to the car....but now we're packed ready for some PBG hospitality and all those friendly faces I haven't seen in a long time. :D Road Trip starts tomorrow morning....shoulda left two days ago. Looking forward to the tuning session Friday afternoon. Could use the tips from the top. Cheers. [8D]
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 am

Windy from the unflavored direction which gave us a lot of one tack beats and reaches, but still challenging with lots of lead changes. B-rigs most of the day with A-rigs coming out for the last few races.

Top five if I can remember them correctly:
Alan Perkins 38
Jon Luscomb 43
Joe Walter and Doc Greer tied at 44
Jim Kaighin 50

Others like Scott Vernon and Dave Branning are still in the hunt. I wish I could give you more scores but I don't have the scores with me right now. George Balaschak is doing a great job in his first RD role. The PBG folks are all wonderful and always put on a great event.

Today is much lighter. It is going to be interesting.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 pm

What a great job George Balaschak did as RD and also the whole PBG crew. Things changed a lot today. Alan slipped to fourth, Jim Kaighin leap frogged from fifth to second, Doc Greer held tight to third and Jon Luscomb took the win. I lost my boat at a start in a crowd and by the time I found it it was sailing 180 degrees from the rest of the fleet. That sent me to B and Fred Pfeil beat me in a tie breaker for fifth place.

Not my best regatta, but boy did I have a fun time. Hats off to Jon on his home pond win and thank you to all the PBG crew for putting on a great event. A big thank you also to Kelli and Doc for putting me up in their beautiful home.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby georgeb2200 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:15 pm

The weekend started with a Tune-Up session, an idea presented by Gerhard Kelter at the Naples regatta to tune up our knowledge of the Rules, Tactics, and Setup of the EC-12. Friday at1:00pm Gerhard was joined by Ken Morrison an International Sailing Judge to tune up our Rules understanding, and Alan Perkins to share his knowledge of boat setup. The session was well attended and the most heard comment was “that was good; we should do more of this”.

The Friday night party was held at Chester Brewer’s home and we all got to know each other a little more while enjoying good food & drink. And good stories & jokes. Thanks to Chester & Libby we all were well primed for the weekend of sailing.

Saturday’s winds were predicted to have gusts in the high 20’s and out of the east. Luckily, the winds were somewhat lighter and had some southerly component allowing a good competitive course which made for many position changes during each heat. B rigs were the order of the day. Lunch with dogs, pizza and John’s “No Bull” chili was a welcome break. A special treat was Ann Gelina’s caramel fudge brownies. When the racing ended for the day with 10 races we had two skippers with 3 firsts each, Scott Vernon and Jon Luscomb. But solid consistent high finishes had Alan Perkins in first place, with Jon Luscomb, Joe Walter, Doc Greer, and Jim Kaigin following in hot pursuit.

The Saturday night party at Duffy’s was also a tribute to a former member of the PBGMYS, Harry Strunk, our commodore in 2005 & 2006, who passed away way too young earlier this year. Many EC-12 sailors remember sailing with Harry. A toast by Joe Walter and Doc Greer to Harry’s life was given.
The food and service was great and having our private room many jokes were heard with much laughter. A highlight was watching coverage of our regatta on ESPN!

Sunday was a picture perfect day with winds 6-8 from a favorable SE. We set a course that evaded the dreaded wind shadows and shifts of the large banyan tree on the east shore. Six more races were sailed. Jim Kaigin sailing 2020 “Hindsight” sailed very consistently near the top. The final results of the top ten:
1. Jon Luscomb 58
2. Jim Kaigin 61
3. Doc Greer 63
4. Alan Perkins 66
5. Fred Pfeil 71
6. Joe walter 71
7. Steve Pfeil 82
8. Scott Vernon 104
9. David Branning 107
10.Martin Gray 134
Judy Clarke was top women skipper with Dick Reinke the Bubble Boy.
georgeb2200

Postby fvracer1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Are there any photos? Rest of the fleet scores please. Thanks to the Ladies of PBG. Food and "all the good stuff" always appreciated.

Black Prince #82
"When the cannon fires, harden up, tack or get out of my way"
fvracer1

Postby UBPardee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Congrats! George & company. It sounds like I missed out on a great time (Pooh-Pooh on work and I got sick too--had to cancel a sailing date w/ the JAX sailors who stayed home). I cant tell you what I miss the most: the clinic on Friday, the racing, Jon's chili or Ann's brownies. Congrats to Jon for the win---did you all throw him in the pond? Counting the days until the St. Pete regatta. -Brenda P
UBPardee

Postby Dave_Branning » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for making this yankee welcome in PBG. George did a great job with pre-regatta publicity and need to know addresses and schedule. The execution was terrific and thanks to the whole PBG fleet for your hospitality. It was a great regatta from Friday's tuning/rules session to the end. Good luck to the Floridians on the remainder of your season.
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Next

Return to Regatta Stuff