2015 Champions Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: 2015 Champions Regatta

Postby greerdr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:38 pm

I am so proud of Florida EC-12 to promote the FIRST lady skipper to the Champions .
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:23 pm

I am excited as well Doc, but I am more worried she is going to kick my butt.

Sail your best Brenda. See you this weekend.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Skip Hall » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Well day one is in the books and what a day it was. We were welcomed by the no-names as we started, however as the winds picked up the no-names weren't much of a problem. Deep Woods bug spray was the flavor of the day for sure.. The course was set as windward, leeward with offsets and 2 1/2 laps. We took a break after three races and good thing that we did as tweaking was needed for most of the fleet. After the lunch break the B Rigs came out, wind shifts played a big factor all day as to who finished best. Everyone needed to pay attention to the shifts as they came when you least expected them. We managed to complete 14 races with 2 throw outs, one every 7 races. Here are the top 5 after the 14 races:

Danny Thomas 25 points
Dave Ramos 29 points
Jamie Betz 60 points
Alan Perkins 64.2 points
Gerhard Kelter 75 points

The plan for tomorrow is to sail 7 more races, the forecast is for light winds in the morning. We'll hope for the best to sail the 7 races.
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby Capt. Flak » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Hats off to Danny Thomas for winning his 5th Champions Regatta. As Class Secretary I made a brand new rule that says 5 win limit. So sorry Danny, this was your last one. LOL just kidding folks.
Skip Hall and his crew of Bob Dudinsky, Mervin Jones, Bill Coates, Liz Perkins (I hope I did not miss anyone) did a fantastic job running the event. The wind was a real challenge for all the skippers and Skip did a great job with the courses and getting in 21 very long races for the weekend.

Gerry Cobley kept track of his paces on his smart phone and we used the data to calculate that we averages about 10-11 miles of walking the shore for each skipper. It was so much fun to be in Charleston with this great bunch of skippers. We really did miss the New England group as well. I sure hope you guys (and maybe GALS) will make it next year.

The Charleston venue has always been home to the Sir Francis of Graham Trophy and the Champions Regatta, but it was not set out to be that way. It just sort of happened. There was some talk about moving the regatta around the Country in the future and I think that deserves some thought. But I sure do like Charleston and the James Island park with the great lake and the cabins. If we do move the Champions regatta around, it will need to be a top notch venue.

Lastly, Thanks again to Gerry Cobley for being our designated driver on Saturday night. It must have been hell on him to drive the van with 6 other screaming drunk sailors in the back all telling him how to get back to the cabins.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby rs vernon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Great job by Skip and his staff. What fun. Album of the trophy presentation.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1159270250 ... nsRegatta#

Scott
rs vernon

Postby Skip Hall » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:26 pm

As Joe Walter said, congratulations to Danny Thomas for winning the 2015 Champions Regatta. He and Dave Ramos fought it out both days and if not for some crazy shifts on Sunday it could have either Danny or Dave. Many,many Thanks for my race committee Liz Perkins, Mervin Jones, Bob Dudinsky and Bill Coates, whose assistance was the best anyone could hope for!!!! Kudos to all of you….

After 20 races under ever changing conditions here are the results:

Danny Thomas 45 points
Dave Ramos 57 points
Jamey Betz 91 points
Alan Perkins 112.2 points
Joe Walter 118 points
Scott Vernon 122 points
Reichard Kahle 130 points
Ricky Gerry 132 points
Gerhard Kelter 140 points
Dave Branning 144 points
Gerry Cobley 146 points
Tony Shoaf 149 points
Don Barker 170.4 points
Martin Gray 202 points
Brenda Pardee 221 points

I saw that Joe said we sailed 21 races, it just seemed that we sailed that many, unfortunately it was only 20. Congratulations to all the skippers for a well sailed regatta and our first women to sail the champions regatta. Well done Brenda!! Again thanks to everyone for their cooperation and helpful words of advise!!! Hope to see everyone next year Champions Regatta….
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Only 20 races Skip? As sore as my legs were on Monday, I would have thought we sailed 50 races. Again great job. Thanks for everything.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Previous

Return to Regatta Stuff