Region 7 Championship - Punta Gorda

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Region 7 Championship - Punta Gorda

Postby hedderick » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:17 am

The "2015 Race Year" in Florida runs from October 2014 thru May 2015. The 2015 R7 championship will be held December 6&7, 2014 in Punta Gorda. This is a great site offering multiple race courses to accommodate different wind directions. It is only 3 weeks till the regatta, so sign up now at http://www.floridaec12.com Click on "regattas"

Because this is a Regional Championship, all skippers must present a measurement certificate for their boat. No measuring will be available on site.

Look forward to seeing you all at this great event!
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Re: Region 7 Championship - Punta Gorda

Postby hedderick » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Here are updated initial Fleet Lists for the Punta Gorda Regatta. This is subject to change pending last minute adds or subtracts. Now up to 27 skippers.
We will be running P&R with 3 moving up and down.

A Fleet
Perkins Alan
Hedderick Richard
Walter Joe
Dion Al
Greer. Bob
Ward Jack
Pfeil Steve
Gray Martin
Engle Brian
Pfeil Fred
Pardee Brenda
Pardee Jim

B Fleet
Phillips Tom
Steacy John
Balaschak George
Reinke Dick
Elder Bud
Brown William
Perkins Liz
Germer Tom
Thompson Donald
Santoro John
Rutherford James
Merello Jim
Brannon Larry
Rodeheaver Mike
Leo. Jake
Last edited by hedderick on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 pm

I have it on good authority that Doc Greer is coming. It might change the fleet list a little.

Looking forward to sailing in Punta Gorda. I have missed the last couple of regattas down there.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby hedderick » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Current weather forecast is for wind NE at 10, temps in the mid 70's. Just about perfect.
It doesn't have to snow to have a great regatta!

Updated initial fleet lists for P&R are posted above.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Chamber of commerce weather. Winds from nothing to 6 mph and one major course change from the south shore to the east shore when the wind shifted out of the north. Art Hawes and crew gave us a great day of racing.

Top Five on day one:
1. Dick Hedderick 27
2. Joe Walter 33
3. Alan Perkins 43 Birthday boy
4. Jack Ward 47
5. Bob Greer 49
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:02 am

What a fantastic regatta down in Punta Gorda. Art Hawes and company did a wonderful job of running the event and giving us some really great courses despite having to chase the wind a little. We had to move from one side of the lake after lunch on Saturday when the wind went North. Sunday the wind was stronger out of the North which gave us plenty of great racing on a much cooler and cloudier day. There was some really fun sailing with plenty of position changes and very little protesting. Not that is was all clean. Dick Hedderick stayed out of B-fleet to run away with the win. While Alan Perkins and I were duking it out for 2nd spot, we did not notice Jack Ward steadily moving up on us. Unfortunately for Jack he hit another boat and took out the forestay and retired from that race and redress went to the crashee. That stopped Jack's charge and kept me safe in second. Alan might have held onto 3rd if not for my own error in judgement that spun him around just at the start of one of the last heats. I did my turn as well as restarted for being OCS while Alan scrambled to make up ground. He stayed out of a trip to B-fleet but finished well back. Sorry Alan.

Other great performances came from Bill Brown, Mike Rodeheaver, Steve Pfeil, Jake Leo, and Al Dion who made a huge charge on Sunday with a number of bullets. Not sure if they kept track of it, but John Steacy had to have been the "bubble boy" for the weekend. He had a bunch of trips to B-fleet but never stayed there more than one race at a time.

1. Dick Hedderick (37)
2. Joe Water (58)
3. Jack Ward (64)
4. Alan Perking (67)
5. Steve Pfeil (74)
6. Bob Greer (76)
7. Fred Pfeil (79)
8. Jake Leo (89)
9. Al Dion (91)
10. John Steacy (107)
11. Bill Brown (152)
12. Dick Reinke (152)
13. Martin Gray (169)
14. Tom Phillips (174)
15. George Balachak)
16. John Stantoro (188)
17. Bud Elder (208)
18. Brian Engle (212)
19. Liz Perkins (213)
20. Mike Rodeheaver (223)
21. Tom Germer (236)
22. Brenda Pardee (239)
23. Don Thompson (252)
24. Jim Merello (264)
25. Jim Pardee
26. Larry Barnnon (310)

Again, thanks to Art, Jack, Mike and the rest of your Punta Gorda crew. Sorry it took me so long to get back down to sail with you guys. I was missing out on a lot of fun and I will be back next year for sure.

I want to wish Don Thompson a "Get Well Quick". He slipped on the dock and went head first into the lake with transmitter, phone and hearing aide. Not sure, but I think all three electronics are toast now. He did manage to dry off and get a back up radio to keep sailing. Later in the day he complained of chest pains and Doc Greer insisted he go to the hospital up the road to get checked out. Good new was his heart was fine, bad news was a cracked rib. Take care Don, you are a fighter.

Oh and congratulations to Dick Hedderick on his Region 7 Championship win. Stay out of the weeds next time. :lol:
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Regatta Stuff