Chicago Race Week and the EC12 NCR

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Re: Chicago Race Week and the EC12 NCR

Postby Rick West » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 pm

What other discussion site? Isn't this the location for updates?
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:31 pm

They have been posting all the news about Chicago Race Week here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244473

Except nothing on the EC12 racing yet.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby DBrawner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 pm

jameyB.jpg
jameyB.jpg (612.73 KiB) Viewed 20219 times

Congratulations to Jamey Betz on winning his first national championship!!

What a glorious celebration of sailing we just completed. The EC12 fleet was simply a pleasure on and off the water.

Race Week-EC 12 Nats--Sat 9-20-14 Day 3----FINAL Results
Interesting day today, heavy winds were predicted and afternoon storms.
at 9am it was partly cloudy,south winds @ 5mph and building, so the 22 yachts
starting had to decide between "A" or "B" rigs. The wind did increase but eased
later.The goal was for 36 races for this regatta--33 were run in total, by 1:30 pm
the drizzle began and the event was done. Lets get right to the results..............

2014 EC-12 Class Championship Regatta

1st.................Jamey Betz.......................45 points
2nd.................Dave Ramos....................52
3rd.................Mark Rinehart................59
4th.................Richard Kahle..................67
5th.................Danny Thomas.................73.8
6th.................Gerhard Kelter................96
7th.................Rick West..........................96.8
8th.................Dave Branning................103
9th.................Jack Ward..........................107.6
10th..............Scott Vernon.....................115
11th..............Skip Allen.............................127
12th..............Brett Biwer..........................133
13th,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris Harmer......................134
14th..............Rob Hill...................................149
15th...............Tim Stone...............................175
16th................Frank Vella...........................180
17th...............Bob Armbruster.................182
18th...............George Townsend..............198
19th................Tony Johnson.......................211
20th................Roger Baldwin....................213
21st.................Kevin Kavaney....................246
22nd...............Andy Kulikowski..................282
23rd...............William Ewing........................293
24th..............Adam Keller.............................312
25th..............Ron Schloemer.......................378
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Dave_Branning » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 pm

What a terrific experience to attend my first Race Week. I watched the last day of the Solings (way to go Jack Ward), all of the Santa Barbara Nationals (way to go Dave Ramos) and sailed Dave Brawner's J #18 in the J Class Nationals (way to go Dave Ramos). That Championship must have involved over 20 skippers sharing transmitters from eight boats. The tone was perfect and demonstrated the spirit of our sport. A testament to AMYA's intent to share our hobby. How special to let everyone enjoy the Great Ladies of the RC sailing world. It provided a welcome relaxed tone for the week.

What followed was a very competitive EC12 Nationals and again, the spirit of fellowship and competition with old and new friends, put the finishing touches on a most enjoyable week. It should be mentioned that Mr Ramos went 1,1,2 in the three championships he sailed. He is an impressive talent in our sport.
The committee, the regatta support team, my fellow rc skippers and the venue were the standouts of the week. A special tip of the hat to Dave Brawner who knows how to read people and he shaped the perfect regatta experience backed by a dedicated team of race management personnel. Dave was the Pied Piper for all activities on and off the water. A special thanks to Chicago Model YC and all who helped make this week a memorable experience.

Finally, to my fellow LASER BRAT, Jamey Betz, for winning his first EC12 National Championship. It was the icing on the cake and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. My smiles from the week are certainly matched by Jamey's who probably floated home in his 11 hour drive with the bell clanging on the seat next to him. :lol:
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby Rick West » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Well another R2 EC12 National Champion and a nice guy that has sailed in the top of the fleet every time I have seen the results in his travels. Congratulations Jamie and may there be many more.

Kudos to David Brawner for delivering Disney World sailing at this NCR and to Rob Hill for a seamless organizational job providing for our every need and to Bob Armbruster for his communications and postings of all information one could ever want preceding an event. I was there 3 years ago and the Chicago club volunteers were spot on and wonderful in their services and presence. Thank you all !!!!!

When the EC12s hit the water there was wind and glorious racing with all rigs in one event. Race management and staff was superb with David Brawner at the helm and Ken Shaw, Skip Hall and Nick Mortgu supporting.

My highest thanks and gratitude to all for a wonderful time. Uh...do it again, please.

Posted from Big Springs NE on the way west to home.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby Capt. Flak » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm

A very big CONGRATULATIONS to Jamey Betz for his Herculean achievement of winning his first National Championship and besting FIVE past National Champs. It might have been SIX, but somebody had to run the regatta.

Hats off also to David Brawner and his staff for running what has been describe as one of the best NCRs. It appears that all the skippers really enjoyed the format of the race even though it was not on the original ticket.

Many thanks to Bob Armbruster for the work he did with me on behalf of the EC12 Class and to Rob Hill and all his staff in Chicago for taking on such a huge task of running four Class NCRs. I have heard nothing but good comments from everyone.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby daramos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Another EC12 National Championship is in the books and hats of to Jamie Betz for sailing a fantastic regatta.

For those that were not there..... Imagine rounding the leeward mark and right behind you chasing you were FIVE previous national champions and a host of others. Don't make a mistake, don't miss a shift, don't slip up and hit a finish mark (opps that was me ) because one or more will pounce in a flash. Now that's pressure. Jamie sailed three days under that pressure and rose to the top and then some. So Jamie Well Done and welcome to murderers row [8D]

Thanks goes out to the Chicago Model Yacht Club and all the volunteers for running such a fantastic race week at such a great venue.

Thanks also to Dave Brawner, Ken Shaw, Nick and Skip for running a great RC and keeping us sailing as much as we did.

I really had a ball and you all made it an event I will always remember with a smile.

Dave
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby DBrawner » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Some observations.....

That crappy little lake in Mount Laurel that people hate to sail just produced it's third national champion. (Said with pride)

Scott Vernon blew away the fleet more than once on day 2.

Danny Thomas drew a perfect 4 on his jib when he was asked to add a digit on his jib lakeside.

Dave Ramos slowed his boat when Jamey was delayed by a crossing boat. Once the boats were even, the race was on again.

Pinky is back!

Roger Baldwin, 79 years young, is up for anything...skydiving, Whirlyball and anything else that comes his way.

We learned there is a brotherhood within the group of past champs. Jamey was warmly welcomed with open arms.

It's never too early to start planning our field trips for our visit to Jacksonville next year.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby jbetz » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Wow---- what a fantastic week of sailing! I would like to say thank you to all the organizers and staff that made this event possable. It was the most well staffed and best organized group of regattas I have ever attended. Not 1 but 4 NCR's in one week and they didn't even break a sweat.If you ever had a question or concern there was always an orange vest close by that would have an answer or get one in a heartbeat. They were on top of it all. My shoulders are usually quite sore after a day of Jboats but I did not feel a thing! They lifted 10 Jboats multable times a day in waders so we could go play. Amazing thing was they seemed to enjoy it.It was great to finally put faces to names I have only read about and make a whole new group of friends. SB's , J's, then the real reason I showed up. EC12's . I was really excited when I signed up thinking--Chicago, most of the really fast guys I allways have to deal with won't go that far, maybe I will really have a chance. O-boy was I wrong. They came out of the woodwork.(What did you offer them Dave?) By the way Dave, thanks for running it. If you had been sailing as well my rope surely would have broken.I am still in disbelief that I am the National Champion. I have learned more about what it means to be a good competitor in this sport than any other sport I have ever been envolved with. I thank you all. I am proud to be concidered a friend to most I have met(I think)along the way. It is an honor to sit among the elete group on murderers row!

Thank every one for the kind words
Hope to see you on the water soon

Jamey
EC12 #34
jbetz

Postby Dave_Branning » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Your're still a Laser Brat, my friend!
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby kahle67 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Nicely done Jamey, Congratulations!!!!!!

I remember in a handful of races after a bad start and stuck in traffic looking around and thinking to myself, "this is not so bad, Jamey is in my wake and over there is Pinky, oh look... Ramos and DT are stuck too!" But somehow you kept slivering away and when I looked up the course towards the finish, there you were crossing the line in second or third again and again. I think it is great to have a new name on the trophy rather than the same ones over and over. Looking forward to seeing you on the water again, hopefully at the Champion's Regatta in March.

To the entire regatta staff I would like to offer a big thank you. Great job guys and what a wonderful place to sail!!!
Reichard Kahle Jr
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby DBrawner » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:05 am

More observations...

Gary Mueller made absolutely beautiful trophies for all four events.

Gerhard Kelter sailed in all four Race Week events!

Skip Allen was leading the regatta after the first race.

Jamey didn't win a race after day one.

Bullets don't win regattas. As Reichard indicated, It's the number of times a seventh place is turned into a second or third that matters.

The difference between first and fourth overall was only a point per race.

Nick Mortgu left Chicago Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning, he was racing his RC Laser in Rhode Island.....and he won the regatta.

Chris Harmer came all the way from New Zealand to sail with us. Think about for a moment. We appreciate the huge undertaking that this must have been. Thanks.

We shouldn't overlook the effort of Tim Stone hauling a large portion of the boats for race week all the way from Vermont.

Even though past national champ, Jarl Wathne, couldn't be there for the EC12 portion of race week, he was our RD for the Santa Barbaras taking us to a total 7 past and one new champ in attendance.

John Conley, Commodore for life, manned the score table for three of four events. He sailed the other.

Nick had a total of six people sail his J.

Chris Harmer sailed five different J's. Not to be outdone, Jamey sailed six!

Ramos and Kelter swapped transmitters for a J race. Both had terrible starts.

Kevin Kevaney showed up just to watch the J races. Next thing he knew, he was helming Ken Shaw's boat.

For the second year in a row, the EC12 champ was not thrown in the water.

Garrett never once told me what he was thinking when I asked him to move a buoy five feet.

103 races were completed.

I miss Chicago already. Again, thanks guys.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 am

WOW, Garrett didn't tell you what he was thinking?! What is wrong with that guy? :oops:

PFAM
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby daramos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 am

Dave I thought we only postponed Jamey's splashing until we found warmer water??????
Sorry Jamey watch your back!!!!!

Just kidding haha :P
Dave
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby Rick West » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Well, I think you guys were wimps. The dunking should have at the start line. The ritual is not complete. The FYROB is my vote.

Top sailors with strong competitive fleet had to appreciate looong legs in open water and wind for all rigs under excellent management marks this very high to be the best NCR, at least in my 15 year traveling with the class. It has to be one for the ages. Reflections bring smiles and memories still. Many of those smiles was seeing guys getting bullets who do not frequent A Fleet often; such fun.

...after the drive and at the boat...Yay
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

PreviousNext

Return to Regatta Stuff