Height Advantage

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Height Advantage

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:05 pm

HEY FRANK,

here is one you can all chime in on.... you show up to the regatta and see me hauling out a 14' ladder... do I get to use MY ladder because I brought it and sit on top of it when I race to get a better view of the boats?

NO.. I didn't do this... but I was bored last night and wanted to stir things up before the Nats. Hehehehe

Is it covered in the rules?[?]
Is it unfair?[}:)]
Do you know someone that would do this?[B)]
Have you ever SEEN this done?[:(]
If it was deemed ALLOWABLE (but frowned upon) would you do it?[:o)]
Would you accidentally bump into the guys ladder when he was precariously balanced up there? DOH ![:0]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Rick West » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:59 pm

We haven't sailed together, Larry, but I am noted for running head on into metal sign posts along the lake edge while looking back at my boat overlapped with Danny Thomas. I wonder what that would do to your ladder?

94...[8D]
Rick West

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:46 pm

Heheheh.... YEAH... that's the spirit.... so.. what about placing obstacles on shoreline for the more atheletic to avoid while the GEEZERS sit back near the cooler? I wonder about these things.. .as I have seen venues where there was a more advantageous position to stand, but only for 2-3 guys...

I guess I will have to put my ladder on top of my trailer... NOW we are getting somewhere... that gets me almost 25' up... might be too far up to see though...
Larry Ludwig

Postby Frank Angel » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:52 am

Hi Larry,
The answer to all your suggestions about the use of a ladder is covered in ISAF Rule # 2.
Regards,
Frank Angel [8)]
Frank Angel

Postby Rick West » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:28 pm

Frank, the Slim Fast is making you too serious!!!

Larry, if you would put a platform and cooler up there I will bring a chair and we could tell stories while the sportsman are yelling at each other.

94...[8D]
Rick West

Postby Jeff Simpson » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:46 pm

hahaha
I can see it now tree stands like the hunters use for rc sailing.

Also I can see the local parks department flippng out with ladders and stands all over the park.

Ok seriuosly if ladders are allowed I am going to have to build a bigger trailer to haul the boats and the ladder. Wonder if it is legal to carry a 16 foot ladder on a motorcyle????
hahahahahaha

Jeff
Jeff Simpson

Postby Larry Ludwig » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:22 am

Do we get to throw beer cans at the guys down below? NOW... that could be fun... I love to throw things. I am going to go put my ladder on top of the trailer and take a picture of it...heheheh

Hey, I know guys that would do it if they could manage it... don't kids yourself. I would fall off the thing... probably from body english trying to will my boat around a mark. Have you ever measured how much force someone can put on a 1 1/2" gimbal ? I remember watching a friend of mine replace a joystick on a PACMAN back in the good old days. Someone turned the machine over... putting that extra effort into the joystick... you know that mashing it over harder makes the boat turn tighter...
Larry Ludwig

Return to Regatta Stuff