Freeze Your Butt Off Regatta

Do you have a question about Regattas? Do you want to post about your EC12 club event? This is the place. Here you will find a listing for some of the club monthly events at the top of the page.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Freeze Your Butt Off Regatta

Postby DBrawner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Here comes our annual attempt to mess with Mother Nature. On December 8th, Mid-Atlantic Model Yacht Club will host the third annual FYBOR. We need to close registration on 11/27 to give Nick time to work his magic.

You can pretty much assume that the weather will suck and we may even pull out the CESS Pool fleet management system again just to screw with you. First race will be at 10am if the water is soft.

Registration is now closed.

Is it your turn to get your name "engraved" on the highly desirable(?) FYBOR perpetual trophy. If nothing else, the chili will be good.
Last edited by DBrawner on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB #53
DBrawner

Re: Freeze Your Butt Off Regatta

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm in.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby efreeland » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Sadly I'll have to miss it this year. Had a great time last year but this year I'll be busy racing in Miami where hopefully I won't be freezing my butt off.
Ernest Freeland
EC12 #1606
efreeland

Postby Skip Hall » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Can hardly wait for the Chili, brownies and chocolate chip cookies!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby DBrawner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:04 pm

This is just a gentle reminder that the deadline for entries is 11/27.

Nick and I are headed to Amsterdam shortly after the deadline for a little attitude adjustment session. Therefore, we need to know who's coming now to see if it's worth returning home for the regatta. :D
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Ken S » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Ok, I'm in!! I want that bucket!
Ken S

Postby Pink66 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm in. See you all there.
Pink66

Postby daramos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:06 am

I'm in and I'm keeping the bucket.
David Ramos
Chesapeake Performance Models
http://www.rcyachts.com

daramos

Postby Dave_Branning » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:48 pm

The Laser Brats are circling the wagons and we'll have a large turnout of skippers joining the quest for That Bucket. Where's the "who's coming" list?
Dave
EC12
Grace
Dave_Branning

Postby DBrawner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Simply put, there are a lot of people coming in quest of the bucket.

The list is scheduled to be published after we get back from Amsterdam.

I have to give some thought to how I am going to screw with you at this event. In the past, we've done school yard pick'em for seeding heats, the drifting weather mark handicap and of course, the CESS pool. After a couple long flights across the Atlantic, my guess is that Nick and I will come up with some evil plan. :shock:
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:03 am

David, I hosted a one-day fun regatta a few years back. I had poker chips in my pocket with the sail numbers of all the boats. At the end of each heat, I would pull out a chip and that would be the throwout for that skipper. I also had another pocket full of chips with sail numbers and I would pull one out and that was an instant bullet. There would be two first places for every heat and since we sailed as many heats as there were skippers, everyone got at least one bullet. For poor Gerhard Kelter, I pulled his chip both times he won, So he had to throw out a bullet and because he had won already, he did not get to have an extra free bullet. Too funny.

One other funny thing I did was I had a little air horn. I told the skippers that at some point during the day, I would blow the horn and no matter where the boats were on the course, they had to turn around and race back to the finish as fast as they could (no more going around marks). The mistake I made was we were sailing a triangle course and most all of the boats were going around the wing mark. It was pretty much the same distance back to the line for all of them and it was impossible for me to score them. I just gave everyone a bullet for that heat.

The event was a lot of fun for everyone. They really did seem to enjoy having a fun day of sailing with no real prizes on the line. I did have a really great door prize. My company gave me two club seat tickets to the Redskins vs Jaguars game on that Sunday.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby DBrawner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Joe,
Those are all good ideas and I am sure everybody enjoyed them. We have come up with a new system for maximizing fleet size and sailing time. Our legal team is presenting the new system to P.E.T.S. (people for the ethical treatment of sailors) for approval. More details later.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby DBrawner » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Registration is now closed. See you on Sunday, December 8th.

With 19 registered skippers, we will either be running the newly created Line of Excellence regatta management system, which would allow all 19 boats to start at the same time or if the wind isn't cooperative, we'll use the CESS Pool system again.

The weather forecast this week indicates that we'll have soft enough water to sail on Sunday.
DB #53
DBrawner

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:25 pm

19 boats jammed up for rights to the favored side of the line? Yikes! :o
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm

19 boats will make exiting racing!
Tim